Why don't we get split screen multitask

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by oftheheavens, Oct 16, 2014.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Why don't we get split screen multitask so half could be like internet and half messenger or whatever? Android has it and has for a long time, even iPad doesn't have it which i really thought it would.

2. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Because Apple are **** when it comes to things like this.

3. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

I feel that apple is setting us up for it with the double tap Touch ID gesture. Apple moves so slow though so hopefully when the 6 gets jailbroken we can get split screen multitask.

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

It will be a 6S Plus feature because according to Apple, when they release this feature, 6 Plus' hardware "won't be able" to handle it.

5. CoyoteRidge, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014

CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Split screen multitasking? You'll need an Android device for that. You should be happy that Apple allowed the use 3rd party keyboards on iDevices.

6. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

was really hoping to see this on the iPad when that first came out. Then I was really looking forward to it on the iPhone 6 (would have even bought the plus which I didn't want if it was an exclusive feature). I really wish they would at least give us this within the native apps.

7. Lylyluvda916 macrumors regular

This is the number one feature that makes me have android envy!

I will jailbreak my phone for video pane which allows you to have this video window of whatever video and allows you to watch it from anywhere in your phone.

I hope apple releases it soon as it is something that would be very cool to have.

8. tj22 macrumors member

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

"Only Apple can introduce such a seamless and smooth split-screen experience, making iOS9 the most advanced operating system in the world and the iPhone 6s the most powerful iPhone we've ever released!"

10. blueflower macrumors 6502

Which jailbreak tweak can do this? Thanks in advance for the info.

11. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

haha I can see this. I could also see it starting on just the 6s+ and iPad air 3 to start with

12. Phillybizzle macrumors regular

Because Apple.

You can be sure it'll work well with their apps in the first generation and then with all apps a year later.

13. cdaq macrumors member

What, not a single defender of the faith jumping in to claim its not necessary?

----------

Must feel good to pay such a premium for less hardware (1 gb RAM, seriously??) and a less capable OS.

14. butterfly92 macrumors member

butterfly92

I feel like Apple is starting to take advantage of the fact that we will just buy whatever they put out there...I mean I love Apple quality and reliability but they need to speed up here. There are major improvements they need to hop on - some of this stuff has been out for a while and Apple is still waiting to give their users some of these improvements. Hopefully by next year we can have split/multi-tasking screens?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a HTC One (M7) with a 4.7 inch screen. I have a Bible program that allows me to split my screen. I find that it makes a good screen into two too small screens. I think it is a feature better reserved for tablets. YMMV.

16. xraydoc, Oct 17, 2014

xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Not just any Android device, either. You'll need a Samsung device. And the split screen is not supported in all apps, just specific ones that make use of Samsung's specific API.

17. MassiveAttack, Oct 17, 2014

MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

And it didn't turn out so good. Hobbled features, no access to speech to text and completely buggy performance. I love Swiftly on Android but I had to go back to the Apple stock keyboard because the experience on iPhone was less than desirable. This is what happens when you sit back and let the competition up the game, you fall behind.

18. calaedw macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm really jealous Android supports this feature. I recently tried out the Galaxy Note 4's split screen multitasking and it was awesome to be able to browse and wait for emails while simultaneously browsing webpages.

19. PhoneI, Oct 17, 2014

PhoneI macrumors 68000

I have used it on my Android device, and it is just about useless.

20. themyst macrumors 6502

I dont find it useless. ill probably miss this when my 6+ comes. two web browsers concurrently? useful on a PC, useful on a big phone.

Attached Files:

21. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Buggy performance is the fault of the developers, not Apple. I think the lack of access to Siri / microphone is due to security concerns. I don't think Apple is wrong for being more cautious when it comes to features like this.

22. Lylyluvda916 macrumors regular

Video pane

23. themyst macrumors 6502

there was actually an ipad jailbreak tweak back in the ipad3 days where u could multi screen. it was kind of buggy but when it worked it worked well. you could resize the windows and everything.

24. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

Thanks for a good laugh.....yeah, not purchasing another iPad until this becomes a reality

25. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I am just wishing I could play YouTube vids and go other things at the same time