iPhone X Why dual lenses since iPhone X use only one lens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavericks7913, Jan 9, 2019.

1. bluespark macrumors 68000

Why BS? Apple provides the second lens for your use. Its own camera app is the equivalent to an auto mode on any camera -- it makes the best decision it can under the circumstances. That includes the use of the second lens in at least two situations: where light and other conditions permit or where the second lens can assist with depth perception (i.e., better portrait mode shots). For those users who want more control (i.e., defeating Apple's defaults), Apple has made the camera API available to developers. What more would you want?

2. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

If you can’t use the 2nd lens for optical zoom when you want then how is it really a benefit over a single lens? They should advertise its only available under certain conditions.

On a side note since the xr has a larger sensor and uses the wide angle for portrait and as its primary lens it generally takes better pics due to being able to see more light.

3. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They provided a second lens and yet you can not use it in Photo mode.

I have no idea why people kept mentioning the auto mode for? like I told you before, it doesnt work. I went outside but it never used the second lens at all. Just try covering the second lens while you zoom in. In Photo mode, it uses only digital zoom in. Do you think that Im a stupid person?

4. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Stupid? No
    Rude and argumentative? Absolutely

5. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol telling facts seem to hurt you a lot.

6. Azathoth123, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Very good posts!

Currently I perceive - maybe wrongly - that the main Apple purpose of the long, 51mm lens is to support portrait mode for mobile web-based images (display on a small screen). In the stock camera app, the phone chooses which one to use, and based on overall photographic performance of my Xs, I’d bet on that for image quality on small screens in most cases.

BTW, the Apple ‘secret photo sauce’ is not so good for a 30” wide Epson photo printer! If your output is to a computer screen of any reasonable size, Apple iOS has ya covered, it’s what they’re optimized for. If you’re outputting to a wide-format photo printer, you will be underwhelmed.

Third party apps can ‘invoke’ the long lens on command, but you have to wonder if that’s better than Apple’s choices. It would be a good thing to explore, but it would be very time consuming and output (screen, printer, TV) dependent.

7. agente46, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

agente46 macrumors regular

Right... it’s like having two prime lenses but you can’t use the one you want because the camera said so.

Auto mode on dslr’s will at least let you pick the focal length and then calculate the aperture, iso, shutter speed, white balance etc to get the best results for that focal length. That’s not what iPhones are doing.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I disagree. In good lighting the portrait photos from a dual lens iphone are better than those taken by the Xr. I don't like the wide angle in a portrait shot, I want the subject to be at the forefront not further away. In good lighting I prefer the portrait pictures from the Xs/X.

The dual lens is a benefit because it can be used for about 70% of my shots. I have thousands of pictures taken using the second lens. You make it sound as though it never works at all.

9. bluespark macrumors 68000

It does work, as evidenced by the people on this thread who have pics taken by the zoom lens. But that doesn't mean it will be used in every circumstance you might expect. Also, I don't really understand your assertion that "you can not use it in Photo mode," because you definitely can. And you can force its use in an app that allows that feature.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    You can. If manual control is a priority for you, get an app that allows it. Apple has given you the hardware and has given developers access to the camera. Use it however you like.

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Good thing these forums exist for iPhone users to search through and find out how to make sure you’re actually using the 2nd lens. Otherwise how would they ever know that it’s highly possible when they tap 2x on their iPhone they’re not actually using that 2nd lens they paid for.

11. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Surely you understand that if you cover the bottom lens using your finger, it will not be getting enough light and the app will default to the one which is (i.e. the uncovered, top one)?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Well, since you asked - yes, I do.

12. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to the Apple store today and I showed the videos of switching between 28mm and 50mm in a sunny condition which used only digital zoom. They apology about the software issue that camera can not detect the light specifically and they already notified technicians today.
    lol base on my testing, iPhone X uses both lenses to detect the light. I would say there is a bug to detect the light in a specific condition that I can use only a digital zoom. In this case, even I didn't cover the 2nd lens, it used a digital zoom only. Guess what? This is Apple's fault for 100% and now you are calling me a stupid person huh?

Here's the proof. As you can see, iPhone X's camera can not identify the light condition for 100% and yet you can use the telephoto lens whatever you want.

13. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

That just proves that you're in a dark environment (in comparison to the outside), moving the camera a lot, not giving it a chance to settle on a scene, shifting rapidly from light areas to dark and back again, etc. I'm not surprised it's failing for you. It's certainly possible there could be additional software / hardware issues at play here. But I can't really tell from the video since you're using the camera wrong.

To come here and say it doesn't work is just flat out incorrect. The rest of us seem to have no issues using both lenses under the right conditions. I just tested mine and was able to use the zoom lens both outdoors and indoors (with the proper lighting conditions). I was also able to starve it for light and validate that it did NOT use the zoom lens in that case. Maybe it's time to accept this isn't a universal problem and more of a "just you" problem?

14. mavericks7913, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Define a dark environment. The camera decides the brightness, not the environment.

I just went outside and tried the same thing. Guess what? It used digital zoom. The problem with iPhone is that you can not decide whether you wanna use the 2nd lens or not. Why does iPhone decide what lens to use? This is the main issue and yet you are complaining about what I did. As I said, I went outside and did the same thing.

How come video mode allows me to use the 2nd lens manually? Why not in photo mode? It's already pathetic since Im not able to use the 2nd lens whatever I want.

15. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Seriously?

I wasn't complaining about what you did. I said you weren't doing it right. You can do it wrong till the cows come home and it won't make a lick of difference to me.

Sorry, after seeing the previous video, you're going to need to provide a LOT more evidence. Simply rapidly switching zoom on and off accomplishes nothing. You've already proven you're doing things wrong. Going outside and doing the wrong thing there as well isn't helpful. Actual photos we can see would be useful, but not videos watching the camera zoom in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out.

Your best bet is to deal directly with Apple. No one else except you is having issues. You either have an issue that needs to be corrected, or you need to learn a little about photography. Or both.

16. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol I mastered photography and you are telling me to learn photography? What a joke. Like I said, iPhone does not have options to choose the 2nd lens because it decides whether I can use it or not while I dont need to do that in video mode.. Dont you get the main issue at all?

17. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Then you certainly don't need my help.

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Can you produce documentation of a fail proof way to confirm you’re actually using the 2nd lens using the stock iPhone camera?

19. mikehalloran macrumors 6502a

There's a lot you don't know. Apparently, you have no desire to learn.

20. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stop trolling then. I'm done with you.

21. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Sure, use Portrait mode.

But I'm sure that's not what you meant. Aside from portrait mode, you're already well aware the stock app doesn't do that. If you've been following this thread, you would have seen people mentioning other apps that will let you choose the lens if you prefer.

I'm not sure what your point is here. The stock app works the way it does and that has absolutely nothing with someone starting a thread claiming the second lens doesn't do anything while taking photos. Which is what this thread is actually about. I never once claimed you could choose your lens with the stock app, so I'm not sure I understand the point of your question.

22. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I guess the answer is no? There is no garaunteed way to confirm you’re actually using the 2nd lens when using the stock app. Well aside from using portrait mode but I swear I saw someone post that they covered the primary lens and was still able to take a portrait pic.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I agree. I had the 7 plus, then the X and now the max and latter two phones use the second lens a lot more than the 7 plus did. I've thousands of pictures taken with the second lens.

24. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Don't forget the telephoto "lens" is a completely different camera module. It's 12MP, but is a physically a much smaller sensor and has a smaller aperture as well. It's much like using a crop sensor........

25. bluespark macrumors 68000

Anyone who cares would look for that control. It's not like it's hard to tell. Most people care more about the quality of the pictures they are getting and are fine letting the phone itself make that decision.