Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Anyone who cares would look for that control. It's not like it's hard to tell. Most people care more about the quality of the pictures they are getting and are fine letting the phone itself make that decision.
That’s true although it’s a lot harder to see “quality” on a small screen from an optical zoom vs digital zoom. I bet if you took a survey on who actually knew that the stock camera doesn’t actually switch to the 2nd lens when you tap 2x the results would reflect that the average person didn’t know that.

The optical zoom is important for actual zoom not digital crop. The average person doesn't care or know the difference between a digital zoom or optical zoom.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
That’s true although it’s a lot harder to see “quality” on a small screen from an optical zoom vs digital zoom. I bet if you took a survey on who actually knew that the stock camera doesn’t actually switch to the 2nd lens when you tap 2x the results would reflect that the average person didn’t know that.

The optical zoom is important for actual zoom not digital crop. The average person doesn't care or know the difference between a digital zoom or optical zoom.

I agree with all of the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.