Why Elmedia Player is or was so popular?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camelia, Oct 24, 2017.

  1. camelia macrumors 6502

    camelia

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2015
    Location:
    Mexico City
    #1
    What Elmedia Player from Eltima Software offers than VLC for Mac OS X does not?

    Came
     
  2. faded_glory macrumors regular

    faded_glory

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2016
    #2
    It's in the App Store, which VLC is not.
     
  3. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

    MacGizmo

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    Location:
    Arizona
    #3
    • It's in the Mac App Store
    • It has a clean, good looking interface
    • It doesn't try to do too much
    • The UX makes sense
    • Have I mentioned it doesn't look like garbage?
    Honestly, for all its versatility, VLC looks like it was designed in 2001... because it was. It's about as consumer-unfriendly as you can possibly get. 90% of what it does is of no interest to 90% of average consumers. For the other 10%, it's awesome.
     
  4. MSastre macrumors 6502

    MSastre

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2014
    #4
    Has the malware issue with Elmedia Player been fixed?
     
  5. tkermit macrumors 68040

    tkermit

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2004
    #5
    Looks modern enough to me? Its usability could be improved, but I've also seen much worse with open source software.

    vlc.png
     
  6. camelia, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

    camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

    camelia

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2015
    Location:
    Mexico City
    #6
    So your point are: App Store. the GUI is nicer and simpler to use, OK Good point :)

    My question is focus because VCL is free that is all :)

    Yes, the malware issue with Elmedia Player has been fixed
    -https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eltima-softwares-elmedia-player-and-folx-infected-with-malware.2079195/#post-25254347

    But we are still waiting for a reply for an Eltima representative... :mad:

    Came
     
  7. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

    MacGizmo

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    Location:
    Arizona
    #7
  8. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

    camelia

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2015
    Location:
    Mexico City
    #8
  9. MSastre macrumors 6502

    MSastre

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2014
    #9
    The version available from the App Store is about half the cost of the Pro version,, with features between the free and Pro versions from their site.
     
  10. freeman1899 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2015
    #10
    The Airplay feature of Elmedia sounds nice. Does it work with any Video Format?

    And for free Video players with a nice design and also some nice features I would suggest to also try out Iina.
     
  11. thejackD macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2017
    #11
    just opening in full screen and forget GUI
     
  12. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

    camelia

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2015
    Location:
    Mexico City
    #12
    Yup, same opinion here! :)

    TBH i am ok with VLC
    Well, I tested and I prefer VLC maybe I am part "of the other 10%"
    Being honest, i don't install a software only because it looks nice, but if works then I keep it ;)
     
  13. Hawk2Wind Suspended

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2017
    #13
    Hi does that mean the one in the app store does not have all the features of the one on the Elmedia site which goes for $19.99?
    When the one in the app store is only $9.99 ?
    and they call it
    Elmedia:universal video player?why don,t they call it Elmedia pro?
    I,m confused.I don,t want to pay $19.99. $9.99 is more like it.
    Hope some one answers my question.Have a good weekend.
     
  14. Hawk2Wind Suspended

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2017
    #14
    They have two in the Apple App Store
    Elmedia:universal video player pro
    and one called.
    Elmedia Player GO both the same price ,what's the difference between them they seem the same?

     

Share This Page

13 October 24, 2017