Why has the watch not sold well?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jwolf6589, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Critics say that the watch has not taken off in 2 years and probably won't. Like AppleTV it's not meant for everyone. What do you say? AppleTV has lots of competition and the watch does as well.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I'll say critics are talking out of their behinds, as usual.

3. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I love how a product that's sold multiple millions of units within a couple years of launch is said to have not taken off...

It'll never be the next iPhone, but it probably won't go away. It's just not a modern necessity-- it's a utility that some narrow customer segments find value in (including me).

Having access to communications and the web are necessary in modern life. Not much else really is. Computers are important for a broad set of tasks, but not for everyone and as more and more office work moves to web applications powerful computers are less important. Tablets are either bigger screened secondary luxury phones or slow typing computers. Watches are notification accessories or recreational fitness devices.

That pretty much plays out in Apple's revenue mix-- iPhone is huge, desktops are tiny, laptops and iPads will probably keep a shared combined volume and continue skewing toward tablets over time, and watches are niche.

There might be an inflection point when watches get good reliable cellular communication and a full day's battery life-- at that point people might opt for a watch and tablet rather than an awkwardly large phone. You can have the screen size when you need it, but you can have communications at all times when you want to be less encumbered. That's probably what I'll do...

4. willmtaylor, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I say you have a clickbait title and no sources or citations to back up your claims.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I agree with you, except strangers on the streets, i have seen 0 person i know who wears the aw except me.

6. vintagebob macrumors member

vintagebob

Hmmm...

I see them everywhere.

I'll bet that there are millions of them out there.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Because its not for everyone, I believe people are more hesitant on buying it. That being said, I have seen a huge influx of them in public over the last few months. I've had mine since Launch Day 2015, so at first you didn't seem them that often, but as time has gone on, I think people have begun to accept it. Besides a fitbit of some sort, AW is the second most common activity/smart watch I see around.

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

And Fitbit had an abysmal holiday season, resulting in them laying off 6% of their workforce after poor holiday sales, while Apple announced and Canalys estimated, that the Apple Watch had its best quarter.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I didn't know that. I don't really pay attention to those things. I wonder if Apple has it in them to surpass Fitbit. I didn't upgrade to the Gen 2, hoping the Gen 3 has a slight redesign, but the original bands still work.

10. Relentless Power, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have to agree with @willmtaylor on this. I think you're thread/title is slightly obfuscated. I mean, there are always critics against ANY product. But at least provide a source for the reader to better understand your reasoning and your comparison to the Apple TV.

That said, In contradictory to your statement, wasn't the Apple Watch reporting its best Quarter around the Holiday season? The Apple Watch isn't certainly for everyone, being it's a superfluous device, but I think the Apple a Watch has grown exponentially and I see Apple heavily investing in the Watch for the future. It's still a shaky wearable market in general, but let's not have any false modesty, the Apple Watch has put some pressure on Fitbit.

And since the release of Series 1/Series Series 2 was severely limited all through January 2017 since its September 2016 release. I see Apple investing heavily into the Apple Watch with additional health sensors and fitness capabilities, especially in the band department.

However, the Apple Watch does exactly what it's intended to, and acts as a bridge from your iPhone and a fitness tracker. And it works seamlessly. What is the future like? No one knows for sure, but I think its promising at this point.

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

A couple of things with Fitbit is that (1) everything in their lineup is under $250 and (2) the sales figures you see often lump their bands such as Flex, Flex 2, Alta into the mix, and these aren't swart watches and Apple doesn't make anything similar. It is often hard to find comparisons of only Surge/Blaze sales to AW sales.

12. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Critics are comparing the AW to the iPhone, that's why.

They could compare it to Rolex instead (the biggest luxury watch nameplate on the planet), but then they'd have to admit how Apple is outselling Rolex by a lot.

They could compare it to the Fitbit Blaze and Surge HR (the only Fitbit models even approaching half of the AW's capability) and find that the AW is far outselling both of them.

They could compare it to Garmin and Suunto and... oh, who else? I don't even know. Never mind.

They could compare it to Frederique Constant's smartwatch-that-looks-like-a-traditional-watch, but then FC's watch can't display the weather or allow you to respond to text messages. Never mind. Can't rightfully compare the AW to a Citizen Proximity, either.

They could compare it to sales of Samsung Gear smartwatches... but how many of those come bundled for free when you lease... I mean, "buy" a new phone on contract? Do they count as "sales"?

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Exactly!

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

The criticism shouldn't be that the AW is not selling well. It's the best selling smartwatch in existence.

The criticism should be that the smartwatch category isn't as big as the pundits thought it might be.

15. sirenized macrumors regular

im a recent convert from fitbit. its possibly because their quality has gone down the crapper. I had my alta replaced 3 times in less than a year.

16. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

My wife and I switched from Fitbit about 18 months ago. Both of the original units failed within months and were replaced by REI. My replacement still works, probably since I haven't used it since buying a Gen 1 18 months ago, but my wife's replacement unit failed within about 6 months, which is what prompted us to switch to the AW in the first place. They do seem to have some QC issues with their products.

17. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

I find the Watch useful. I can let my phone sit down quietly still be notified so I don't miss something important or that could have a time constraint. Useful to me. I can see how others think it's not useful though. To each his own.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The Fitbit Surge also had issues with the band falling apart. To what degree, I don't know. But enough where it was discussed frequently on other forums. Fitbit was somewhat responsive about the issue.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Fitbit-Surge-Band-Issues/td-p/1601719

19. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Daniel Eran Dilger placing his usual well-aimed shots again:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...ative-apple-watch-and-the-future-of-wearables

20. Skika macrumors 68030

21. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There was a man from China who purchased two Apple Watch Gold Editions for his dog. So I can guarantee at least two Editions were sold when they existed.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc...e-man-buys-2-gold-apple-watches-for-dog-.html

23. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Yes, that's the dog I was referring too. It's the last celebrity photo in that article. I thought it was kind of funny. The guy has more money than sense perhaps, but funny :)

24. sirenized macrumors regular

When the G.O.A.T wears one, that's all that matters

Attached Files: