why have hard drive prices spiked recently?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bluesteel, Nov 9, 2011.

1. bluesteel macrumors 6502

was doing some online shopping and noticed that hard drive (HDD) prices have gone up quite a bit in a short time. for example, the 2.5" WDGWD7500BPKT i paid $99 for about four months ago, is now around $170. its been the same for several newer hard drives i've looked up today. anyone know why they are so expensive in the USA all of the sudden?

2. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhh....makes sense. tight supply and prices go up :)

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The market is up! Time to sell all those 20MB 5.25" hard drives I've been collecting!

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's not over yet... Flooding continues to worsen in Bangkok with forced evacuations now underway for most of the city

5. weinschela macrumors regular

weinschela

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This natural disaster is unfortunate.

I had a drive fail in a RAID and found the price had gone up by 250%.

7. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Climate Change has resulted in unprecidented Flooding in Taiwan, as seen in the US, Australia, etc.. Whilst it has shut down complete manufacturing operations for some, it's also disrupted the supply chain for most other manufacturers.

Most available drives are being sent to PC manufacturers as they are under contract to provide to them at a set price and quantity. What little is left over is released to market, causing the huge spike in price due to limited availability.

Samsung 2TB F4 drives that I had picked up for $69 delivered are now 219+ shipping. They were over $259 at one point. If you don't absolutely positively need one. hold off unless it's at the old price points.. or if money is no object.

In the next 3-6 months, if the prices don't subside, there will probably be a jump in Desktop & Notebook prices.

8. Kimmo macrumors member

Jeez, I just threw out a ton of those! Maybe they're still in the dumpster? :D

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well I am helping the spike in prices

Just picked up a 1TB portable Seagate expansion drive for 90 bucks before it shot up

10. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

flood photo

Attached Files:

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Does anyone else see a miniature white palace hovering above a floating trash pile, or is that just me?

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This is what we call "first world problems".

yeah it sucks, could be worse. You could be living in Bangkok.

13. Kasalic macrumors regular

Caught us out at work, we had quoted for some drives, customer gave us the go ahead to order within the 7 days we hold quotes for. We waited until we needed to order some other stuff (the drives were not needed urgently), and when we went to order them they had gone up from £50 to over £230.

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

NewEgg has massive price increases. You can still get some externals (rip out the drive and stick it into your Mac) on Amazon for old normal prices.

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah thats crazy I got a 3TB external for $118 a few months ago.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or it could flood in NY, would that make it a "third world" problem?

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Just had a lot of flooding in NY. Some places are still having issues. That would still be a first world problem.

18. Kimmo macrumors member

Yep, and OWC and Fry's and everyone else for that matter.

Fortunately, I loaded my MP with WD caviars about a month ago. The price of the same drives is now over 100% higher.

As Larry from OWC said this morning: "This is an industry that is all about back ups... apparently they hardly take their own advice and now we're literally paying the price."

I guess the good news is that SSD prices, while still expensive, have been pretty stable and their value proposition (compared to HDs) is better than a month ago.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Exactly my point. ;)

20. mr3cho macrumors newbie

supposedly the flooding is due to industrialization. Forest and grassland were cleared in the northern area to build these factories, which would have otherwise absorbed the water naturally. However, Bangkok has flooded a few times in the past as water from the north naturally runs south right through the city to the gulf.

Last week my neighborhood was flooded but the water started to recede yesterday and by now I can now walk around without my bright orange rubber booties! :)