Why haven't Apple implemented MagSafe into iPhone yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanLugh, Sep 13, 2014.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Perhaps i'm missing something here, i think it'd be great to have a magsafe lightning cable.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Next year.

Maybe it will be the self aligning watch adapter. Set phone on it and it snaps into alignment,

3. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

that's exactly what i was thinking. there must be a reason as to why it hasn't been done, it's rather un-Apple like.

4. phx macrumors member

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Because what would stop the phone from flying off the table still? There is no weight to it like a MacBook.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

It would only work for power. A data connection would be too unreliable.

7. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Surely wireless charging is the next big step, not a magnetic connection?

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I don't get how it's called "wireless" where there is a wire plugged into a wall outlet and you still have to carry a charger. Until my phone doesn't have to touch anything to charge, it's technically wired. Now if something was plugged into an outlet and my phone just had to be within a 5 foot range of this to charge, then we can call it wireless charging.

9. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Because the electricity flows from the charging pad into the device without any wires linking them???

10. Dmal99, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

Dmal99 macrumors 6502

magsafe only provides power and rudimentary info the iPhone ports pass much more than just power - digital audio, usb info, data

if you mean wireless charging, then I'm betting the iPhone 6s for that

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I re-edit that post. It's a gimmick and that's all.

12. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Not a gimmick at all, if all I had to do was lay my phone down on a mat or surface to charge it that would be very simple and easy, it would be an improvement for me.

13. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

So with all this technology they can't create it? I honestly thought there would be more on this.
    They talk a lot about PC-free, trying to keep the cables away etc, even enforcing their own propriety cables. They should at least make some sort of improvement.
    re: macbook comment, it would be nice to have it just 'snap in', and if you walk away still holding it, it doesn't yank the cable (causing stress, tension) and simply disconnects. Though, we don't need to go over what it is, again.

IMHO - think it would be useful and nifty, but understand limitations of 'current' standards.

14. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

And you haven't used one. I have one on my nightstand, one at my desk and one I travel with. The one I travel with is the Lugalake and has a 6000mAh battery built into it and has an additional USB port. I can just set my Nexus or Lumia on top of it and they charge. No plugging in. And if I have another phone with me that doesn't have wireless charging, I plug it into it.

Now at my desk and nightstand I have the Tylt Vu wireless chargers. These sit up at a 45 degree angle and are easy to just plop the phone on. A green light lights up at the bottom to indicate charging has commenced and then fades out. I don't worry about accidentally yanking cords out of my phone when I wake up or in a dark room.

Wireless charging is an awesome feature and mocking it just shows ignorance to its benefits and simplicity. Of course, if Apple had it I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

This. The magnet would have to be so weak to allow the cable to release from the iPhone (which is, afterall, the idea behind magsafe) that it would be a total pain in the ass. Every time you touch your phone, it would disconnect.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

So you know me the? I haven't used one? I have. This is how I see it. I'm at work my phone needs to be charged. I can plug it in, still use it, while it's charging. With this wireless charging, I would pick it up to use it, it stops charging, put it down to change, I pick it up again (again stops charging) to use it, and put it down to charge.

I had this while I used a Palm (the Palm Pre maybe?) and used it a few times and thought it was junk.

Again you assum you know me and because if Apple had it, I would like it? :rolleyes:

17. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Wow, so having a phone charge while it sits idly by you is a bad thing, because it stops when you pick it up? (If that is the extent of your complaint, it's pretty pathetic.)
    And, If your phone is that low on juice that a call is gonna run it dry, you still have the option to plug it in. Choices are amazing, no?

BTW, the old Palm chargers for the Pixie and Touchpad were not quick charging capable, nor where they smart chargers like the ones I have. If that was the extent of your foray into wireless charging then I suggest you take another look at the tech. Things have changed a bit since 5 years ago.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

How is it pathetic? It's a valid point, because I do this a lot at work. As much as I use my phone at work, it would take longer to change at that point. Like I said, when they make it so the phone just has to be in rang of the charging station, then I am all for it.

19. HackDaBox macrumors regular

HackDaBox

Magsafe with a dock !

I think Magsafe with a dock for iPhone would be awesome ! who needs data with the cloud just charge the sucker !

HackDaBox!

20. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

MagSafe is huge, unreliable data transfer, and wireless charging is inefficient.

You're not smarter than Apple.

21. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Tesla made it, J.P Morgan destroyed it. Would have been a much different world had they worked out the money aspect.

22. apple.snapple macrumors regular

Just a thought, what if the 6S/7 has ZERO ports for charging? All wireless, like the watch?

I know this would, yet again, kill the accessory market, but it would probably make it even thinner and possibly enable an edge to edge screen.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

lol

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

My first thought would be due to the interference it could cause. I have nothing to back that though.

25. overfedexed macrumors member