Why HP's new notebook KILLS the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Pentad, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Wait, I mean the opposite...

Not to sound like an Apple fanboy but I think Jonathan Ive is a brilliant designer and I'm amazed at how much the MBP is copied by other companies.

I just saw HP's rollout for their new Envy line here and they copied the look of the MBP as well as the 'designer video' that Apple did.

The sad thing is, the people in the video might very well mean what they say. Sure, they copied heavily from Apple and Jony but I'm sure to some degree they are proud of their work. Yet, it is HP's god-aweful customer support that sinks them every time.

While my experience might be isolated, when you search Google for "HP Horror" and you get over 16 MILLION hits you think "Maybe it's not just me..."

Of course, being HP, they copy the Mona Lisa and add a mustache to her. I am referring to the hideous power and audio buttons on their Envy machines. I'm surprised they didn't add elbow macaroni to the thing...

-P

2. Danindub macrumors member

I have got to admit it, they look great. And IPS in 15" is something I always dreamed off :)

I'm interested to see specs vs prices rather than "starting at"

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

It is a very nice design; and the metal chassis may give it more durability than plastic although I'm not sure what "metal chassis' means - is it solid like the MBP or frame?

Win7 is not bad and now HP has a product to compete at the higher end of the spectrum. I hope they are successful with it; even if I'm waiting for next years MB redesign.

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Lol, HP still trying to knock of the MacBook Pro they 'envy' so much.

Even with a prototype of the MBP to go by they still can't get it right. What a joke.

Best move they ever made was deciding to leave the computer business ... worst move was changing their mind and deciding to stay in the business. Freakin grief their low quality junk has caused me over the years...

They even make a video interviewing the designer as Apple does with Jony Ives, lol.

Thanks for the early morning laugh.

5. Swain macrumors member

IMO they will facepalm when MBP's have their rumored redesign next year.
    Why copy something that will be most likely gone next year?

6. harcosparky, Nov 16, 2011

harcosparky macrumors 68020

It may mimic the MBP but I feel confident it will be an epic FAIL in the " fit and finish " department.

There have been many attempts to copy in some way, Apple's deign, and all seem to fall short in that very important aspect.

1.5 minutes into the first video ..... FAIL !

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Nice looking laptop but only 1080p (16:9) screens versus the 17" MBP's 16:10 display is disappointing.

8. zurichuk macrumors regular

In all fairness, a google search result count isn't really valid. Somebody called HP Lovecraft wrote horror stories. HP means 'hired purchase' in some parts of the world, i.e. credit etc etc

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well i guess apple and HP are going to court again...

10. Swain macrumors member

I guess it will be a welcome change from Samsung ;)

11. thekev, Nov 16, 2011

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I criticize Apple all the time on areas where they have really been annoying me over the past couple years, but Jonathan Ives and their design time are brilliant. My complaints usually center around things more along the lines of I wish they wouldn't try to cram things into such small spaces. I'd take a computer with better temperatures over thinness and aesthetics any day. Another would be the lack of 10 bit out gpu options/drivers considering displays using 10 bit displayport have become more common since 2009 or so. Others may have their own priorities.

On the HP, just making something that looks like the macbook isn't going to help their brand identity. They're practically advertising for Apple with the look. It is packed with features. I just think HP should focus on their own look considering that no one really likes Dell, and Sony doesn't seem that into it these days. There must be some market for a quality windows based laptop without preinstalled bloatware, and that is what HP should cater to rather than people who would rather own a mac (unless they're just assuming they can sell them to an enterprise market that will not adopt macs).

Rather than going court I'd like to see them copy HP back..... on the ips display option :) It may not make it quite desktop display quality, but it would be very nice.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

HP is a great reputble brand for windows

but this is a joke LOL

14. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I do love the design but I'm not a fan of the top of the lid being black. Hopefully they give you a choice of a silver top or a black one, but I doubt it.

15. Danindub macrumors member

Maybe they allow for sexy changeable covers like the latest dells ;);)

:D

16. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I can't tell if the name "Envy" is intentionally tongue-in-cheek or if the irony of it just flies over the heads of the HP marketing team. I'm guessing the latter.

17. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

The things that ruin the "design" is the red for the "Beats" audio, the Beats button itself and the black top. Reminds me more of the Pavilion series then a premium laptop.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I can see HP copying the MBP. But WTH ? They gotta get a shaved headed day old bearded guy as the industrial designer to talk about it ?

What ARE they doing ? Copying everything Apple does ?

19. altecXP macrumors 65816

OK now you guys are just being snobs.

Sure the 1st Gen Envy 15 looked like it was a MacBook ripoff but as the line has been going on its started to become more and more it's own thing. It's obvious that it's morphing into its own thing.

With an IPS display, I don't see any MacBooks with that or 6 speakers and a subwoofer.

20. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I don't see the HP running OSX Lion either.

(Sorry to be that guy, but it's a valid point. Specs mean ZERO - literally absolutely nothing - to a LOT of people if OSX isn't a pre-requisite.

Flame away or pin me as a fanboy, but it's just the truth.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The hardware is delicious but I want Ivy Bridge.

22. shyam09, Nov 16, 2011

shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol wow!
    this looks like a superb design [hehe] except the bottom is damn ugly. sure it doesn't matter to some, but everything i carry my MBP i just like the uniform design.

Oh and one thing to note:
    HP's Envy is a late 2011 model. Apple's MBP is a early 2007-2008 model [i think, thats when they designed it right?]
    So congratz Envy for a 3-4 year delay!

I can't wait to look at the faces of HP when they see apple's new MBP design [that i hopefully hope will come out in 2012 as per rumors].

I also dont like the power button on the side. Looks downright ugly there but im one person who has both a MBP and a HP desktop so...
    ^EDIT: nvm, that's a beats audio thingy?? lolz

You are really forgetting that this HP Envy is LATE 2011. Watch 2012 carefully, Apple will shut down everything from the past. Oh and MacBooks really aren't for 6 speakers and a subwoofer. the envy appeals to those type of people, but macbooks are just for consumers, normal typical people who care for design and beauty with decent specs.

Sure The Envy is starting to become more and more of it's own thing, but the root cause was Apple, and no matter what HP does [unless a redesign] the root is always the Apple Design. So it may as well morph, but it can't leave it's Apple History, thats the truth :p

Lol i guess that makes me a snob, but oh well, the world needs more snobs who clearly recognize the truth beyond things.
    ^lol im just messin', don't feel offended :D

23. altecXP macrumors 65816

OS X is only an opinion Pre-req. There is nothing you can't do on Windows.

OS X vs Windows is more opinion than anything, having a batter LCD and audio is fact.

24. cirus macrumors 6502a

Um???? I hate to dissapoint you but "hp horror" gives 25.8 million hits. "apple horror" gives 87.4 million hits. Just saying. Check it if you don't believe me.

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's okay, Windows Horror gives over one 130 million hits. :)

The new Envy doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't appear as classy as Apple's design. Still, nice hardware. Too bad Ivy Bridge isn't out yet…