Why I NEED an iPad 3 as an iPad 2 owner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I am sure a few of you are like me, an owner of the iPad 2 who is considering the iPad 3. While its definitely more of a "want" decision I'm asking why any of you NEED to have the iPad 3.

For me it's the retina display for reading. Now I can actually finish Steve Jobs biography and not be able to use the excuse of eye strain. Or I could buy an e-ink ereader to do the same thing.

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm a tech enthusiast, gamer, and I love high quality graphics -- that's why I need the iPad 3. I want to see high quality games on this thing :D

3. urkel, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

I don't "need" one, but I see this as an opportunity to get the latest iPad and get a fresh warranty for only a $50 loss every year.

4. ElCidRo macrumors regular

if it has a retina display it's a must buy for me... I love my iPhone's display, everything else looks blurry by comparison now.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I too need the Retina display...I use my iPad at night when the pain of Arthritis prevents sleep...The higher the Res. the better.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm on my iPad 2 for at least 7 hrs a day - sometimes as much as 10. Most of that time is spent reading - either in Safari, or iBooks. As good as the resolution is on this display (same as my hires 17" MBP), a retina display will be easier on the eyes. Even though I would tend to zoom on small font sizes, the extra resolution will have the effect of added contrast - without increasing brightness to uncomfortable levels.

Also, I think I've been spoiled by the iPhone 4S's display. ;)

Bottom line: retina display? New iPad.

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I need it because the ipad 2 I have is being shared with the rest of my family and it would be nice to have one that is all mine. That and the retina display, my god I can't wait to see that display in person.

8. iamjose macrumors regular

What do you mean by a $50 loss every year? Are you selling the iPad 2 for $450?

9. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

The 17" MBP has a 1920x1200 resolution the iPad 2 has 1024x768. Not really the same.

10. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

11. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

This thread might be more useful when we see the actual spec list when it is released.

12. number84 macrumors 6502

yah, not likely $50/"rental" per year unless you find a sucker...plus you have to add in tax, screen protectors (if you can't remove and reuse), and cases if you sell all those together.

i think it's more like $100-$150/"rental" per year.

13. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

The 4S display is not actually all that good. You can still see the pixels.

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Sure, if you're holding it two inches from your face. At 12"+, it's pretty hard. Then again, I'm legally blind without my glasses.

15. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Buy used, sell used. I've bought both iPad at least a month after release and saved a bunch. Easily $50 or less.

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I'm now to a point where I will be reading a TON of technical white papers so the iPad 3 with retina display would be amazing for reading PDF's.

17. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

You don't need it, you want it.

Most anybody for most purposes at the most needs is a good ol fashioned $200 Toshiba laptop. That would do anything you need it to do for all technical intents and purposes.

Everything else is a want.

18. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

I don't need it, but I'm looking forward to getting it. I'm also looking forward almost as much to giving my iPad 2 to my mum and dad.

They both got 4S's recently, and love them. My dad apparently spends inordinate amounts of time browsing the internet and watching football (soccer) on his, using one of my two Sky Go logins. It'd be nice for him to be able to do this on the bigger screen of the iPad.

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Retina Display, possible upgraded camera, faster processor(?)...or, like me, you've already sold your iPad 2.

Funny, I didn't use mine that much, but I sure miss it. I'm trying to talk myself out of it, we'll see...

20. roofz macrumors regular

March Madness on a retina display for $3.99

DROOL___DROOL
    0___0

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The only thing I'd be buying one for the is the improves camera. Retina would be a plus but there isn't too much I'd change from the iPad 2.

22. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

No, you can't.

23. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Yes. You can.

Apple says, "The Retina display’s pixel density is so high, your eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels."

That's a lie.

24. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

If you're looking at a high quality image, you can't. If you think you can, it's because you're looking at garbage images.

25. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm looking at the home screen. I'm looking at the keyboard. I'm looking at the weather app. I'm looking at the OS.

Technically, they didn't lie, so allow me to correct myself:

It's true, from a certain distance your eye can't distinguish between the individual pixels, (I would debate that) but you can see them. Unfortunately the display itself is still pixelated.

Whatever numbers they have on this, I suggest that they double, triple and multiply it to improve on this display.

I want it to be so clear that it looks like I'm seeing through the screen.

They're not there yet.