Why I sold my 3 to get a mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GeorgieAcevedo, Oct 24, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

I had a love and hate relationship with my iPad 3 but I figured I hate more things than I love from it

Love
    - retina
    - battery

Hate
    - heavy
    - bulky
    - uncomfortable
    - long charging time
    - laggy (pretty often) I read it was because it had to power the high resolution retina display

My dream since I seen the first iPad was a smaller iPad. Lighter. It has now become true. So when people say it is stupid to go from iPad 3 to the mini I think not. Because this depends a lot on what experience the buyer is looking for. I know I'm not the only one doing this. If anyone is wondering I sold my 16GB wifi only (white) on Craigslist for a good $400 today (oct 24)

My iPad mini will be with me everywhere. My iPhone 5 will get less love now. It will be more of a phone now (just for phone calls) and the iPad mini for everything else, coming with me everywhere. Something I could just not do at all with my old bulky heavy FAT iPad 3.

Ugh how much I hated you iPad 3.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You pretty much summed my reasons for doing the same thing. I like to read in bed, and the weight of the iPad 3 was an obstacle.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

I sold my iPad 3 as well. I'm considering the iPad Mini. I always thought the iPad was too big when laying in bed at night, and I felt that the 7" Android tablets were too small when I had them. 7.9" is an ideal size for me.

I got $350 for my iPad 3 16GB Wifi today. Not too bad, I guess. $379 will get you a refurb (aka new by Apple standards) one in the refurb store.

The only thing stopping me is the fact I barely used my iPad. I'll probably use the money towards Christmas shopping.

4. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

I forgot to point that out too. I could not use this thing comfortably in bed! Unless I would sit up but it is my bed, I would like to lay down.

5. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Such interesting justifications for wasting money.

6. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I'm asking $525 on CL for 16gb ipad3 verizon. I have a nexus 7 and fell in love with the form factor. Will probably get a mini.

7. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

I'm in New York. That's quite a lot. I don't think you can get more than 425

8. TreyCox, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

TreyCox macrumors regular

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I loved my iPad 3, but hated the weight while trying to read. iPad mini solved this for me. And if retina gets included in the mini next year then great, I'll update. lightweight>retina.

9. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

How much you wanna bet prior to the iPad mini announcement his iPad 3 was the greatest tablet on the market? Funny how when any new device comes out the former one all the sudden has a huge list of flaws/shortcomings. Plus IMO if you pay 329 for a 16GB mini w/o retina, you're a fool. :rolleyes:

10. gadget123 macrumors 68000

What's was wrong with Ipod touch if Ipad was too big?

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Of course it was too small!

The iPad mini is just right. Everyone who ditches the iPad 3 for the mini is "Goldilocks." :p

12. docprego macrumors 65816

I'm also considering this. How much do you think I can get for my mint iPad 3 64GB black AT&T?

13. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

If this release of tue iPad mini came with retina, I would have as well. Retina for me at this point is more important. I use flip open leather case and I find that the added thickness and softness of the case helps ease some of the discomfort when reading with it.

14. toliy253 macrumors member

I got 500$ for my 3rd gen 32 GB wifi iPad today (Craigslist). It's possible. I see some on eBay going for 550+

15. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

You're the fool. I clearly said since the original iPad I've felt like this about it.

16. PlutoniusX macrumors member

Thanks guys. Please continue to sell these at rock bottom prices.

Just picked up a 32GB iPad 3 for 420 dollars. I love the justifications.........

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Justification or not, I think it's more of a "who cares" moment. :cool:

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It's our money. Don't worry about it. :D

19. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I disagree with every single 'Hate' you've listed.

There is no chance in hell I would swap my iPad 3 for an iPad mini, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Much more portable for some. That's a huge selling point for me.

21. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Tim Cook is happy now because his Ipad mini is making people wanting to sell their Ipad. Ipad mini is hardly put to contest with Kindle or Nexus because of its price but it sure makes people compares with the original Ipad.

Funny thing is, I used to have 7inch Tablet (playbook) and all i want is a bigger size one and now I am holding Ipad 2. Never cross my mind that I would want to sell it for a smaller one cause i aint gonna bring it to work for music and gaming anyway. To be honest, 9.7 or 7.9, tablets are for those who are lazy to power up their own PCs. If you want portable, i will get Itouch 5.

22. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I don't agree with the "hate" list, but I sold my iPad 2 a while ago... and have been without a tablet for a while. I'm a MacBook Air user, and I found I always tended to just grab that instead for most things.

However, there are a few things I miss about the iPad. FaceTiming with a bigger screen than my phone. Watching the occasional video while on-the-go. Meetings at work where we review websites, PDFs and spreadsheets. Recipes in the kitchen (oh that makes me sound so home-makerish and I'm far from it! LOL). Showing off photos too friends and family. And most of all, reading in bed. This is where I think the iPad will be perfect for me.

Before anyone jumps on me for the "showing photos" bit and insisting I need the retina display... believe me, I wish the iPad mini had it. But I was quite happy with how photos looked on the iPad 2 and never had anyone say to me "that photo would look so much better if the resolution was higher".

Good luck with your iPad Mini... I'm looking forward to mine!

23. iMule macrumors 6502

Evidence of cannibalization. Awesome. Let's just sell our mansions and get double wides because they're easier to clean.

24. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

The iPad two is lighter than the iPad 3, also the iPad 2 charges in about 3/4 hours, the 3 charges in 6/7. Good luck with your mini also, just nine more days to go :cool:

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you think an iPad is heavy, you reeeeeally need to lift some weights. I have never had any trouble with the weight. What is it, maybe 24 ounces? Rest your elbows on the bed or something. I seriously don't think you've found a good way to hold it if you think it's heavy. I do understand complaints about typing on it, but it's not exactly made for that and you can adjust the keyboard. It's a little weird split, but it's an option.