Why I want to sell my MacBook and never look back.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dybbuk, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I wanted to be a Mac owner so badly since about 2002. I read MacRumors and other Apple websites religiously, obsessed over new models of iPods and Macs just as much as the rest of you Mac users, but I simply did not have the money to afford one.

Then, in August 2007, I finally bought a MacBook. And since then, it's been nothing but disappointment.

To be truthful, I was more excited about being a Mac owner before I actually was one. First thing that happened to me; the infamous palmrest crack. I got it on both sides. Then, out of nowhere, my HDD died. I had no backups; blame me all you want, there was an acknowledged issue with this HDD model (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9823370-37.html) and no recall was issued. At around the same time, my bottomcase cracked, which Apple refused to cover under warranty ("The bottomcase cracking is always due to user negligence and therefore we never cover it under warranty.") until I escalated the call and demanded it be replaced.

Now, only around three months after having all of this replaced, the screen bezel has two cracks on it, the palmrest has cracked again, and the bottom case has hairline cracks going around the front edge. At this point, I am beyond livid.

I deserve a replacement machine at this point, IMO. However, because I did not pay the $300 to the extend the warranty to the three year period that so many better-specced, significantly less expensive laptops already have (I paid $1500 after taxes for this machine when I could've got a similarly specced machine for under $800, and now I have to pay an extra $300 just to get a warranty!?), I'm SOL. They'll replace the parts for me again, but only because they were replaced in the last three months.

I mean, I suppose you could say, "Apple is fixing the parts, so what is the problem?" The problem is that I bought the machine at a premium, expecting that I would get a premium product. What I have received is a product that consistently fails to withstand even delicate use. A machine that breaks when you close the damn thing. The abundance of this issue and the attitude Apple has towards the repairs is evidence that we are being sold incredibly expensive laptops with known flaws that cause them to break themselves under normal use.

So, count me as one Mac user who, after years of anticipation and a climax of excitement, has been disappointed over-and-over by this machine that is lauded by Apple loyalists. I am really tempted to sell this machine and get a different laptop and never look back, and tell everyone I convinced to switch to a Mac to stop before it's too late.

I have supported Apple as much as I could. Sure, I didn't have enough money to buy an iMac and an iPod and an extended warranty to protect myself from acknowledged design flaws, but I loved Apple as much as I could and now that love is waning because I honestly feel wronged by a company I handed over so much money to at such a young age.

Long live :apple:? Hm ...

2. mangasm macrumors newbie

Ah.. this is frightening! I'm counting down the days until Oct 14th when the new macbooks (hopefully) come out... this kind of puts me off.
    There are a ton of people with macbooks where I'm going to school, but most are probably just about a month old (since right before school started), so I'm not sure how common the problems will be!

The new aluminum ones shouldn't have the cracking problems though, huh?

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Aluminum has their own set of problems.

4. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right now I'm looking at Dell XPS m1330. I wonder how much I could get for this MacBook ...

5. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Make sure you research that m1330 before you lay down your money and take a hit on selling the macbook for less. I've heard lots of bad stories about the dell m1330 and also about bad custmor support from dell. All computer manufacturers have problems, whether Apple notebooks have a higher rate of failure is hard to say without looking at some real numbers. I wonder if some type of consumer research numbers could help figure out how faulty macs are compared to other notebooks but I can tell you that you can get a lemon from any manufacturer.

Even if Apple is replacing it it's still a headache to deal with, I think everyone can understand that. What is Apple doing to remedy the situation? Hopefully you'll get a replacement and not have so many problems.

I'm going to be a first time mac buyer soon too, I've done a lot of research though and I've found out that all manufacturers can be prone to certain problems so I'm just going to by a mac when the new releases come out and try my luck.

Goodluck and remember to do research and if MOSX comes around, don't listen to him. That guy is more biased than a mccain campain ad.

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't know whether it's Apple's hardware or Leopard, but I have found the two MacBooks I've had in the last year to be unreliable. I've had many issues but the number of kernel panics is astounding by itself.

I hear your pain. Call customer relations. They can help more than AppleCare.

7. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple is doing as little as they have to to remedy the situation, which is replacing the broken case parts and nothing else. Nothing to make up for all of my lost time and effort and frustration with this premium machine that appears to be vehemently determined to shatter itself to pieces. My rep even acknowledged I deserve a replacement, but since I am one month out of warranty, I can go to hell.

Congratulations Apple, you've shot me and the tens of thousands of dollars of purchases I wanted to make in the knee.

I will certainly do my research on whatever computer I do decide to buy, thank you. :)

Yeah, my MacBook has had lots of glitches and random restarts etc. as well. Not nearly the "it just works" BS I was promised.

What do you think customer relations is going to do?

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Potentially replace it with a non-BS Mac that 99% of the rest of us have.

9. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

My August 2007 MacBook has been 99% perfect. It is truly SCARY to hear about all of this. The only issue I have ever had with my MacBook was an HDD crash last July. The Genius Bar put a new one in within 30 minutes and installed 10.5 over NetBoot. Cool:cool:.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I don't know what to say to you, I don't baby mine, nor do I abuse it, I have had 0 issues with my 2.2 refurb BMB, none. So how do we account for so many problems with your's? I don't know:( How do you treat it? Did you have issues during the first year? If I did, I would have made sure I got Apple Care. I'm going to for mine:apple:

11. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mostly use it on my lap on a chair or in bed. Sometimes I use it on a desk. I rarely ever take it out of the house. It has never, ever been dropped or smacked etc. So there has been no abuse here. I'm too vain for that. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should've bought Applecare, but I don't think I should have to pay $300 for Apple's design flaws.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

So you didn't end up using your friend's iBook AppleCare that he never registered?

AFAIK, Apple's redesigned the plastic and is replacing Seagate's failed drives. All of that was done before your one-year warranty was up.

Why your MacBook continues to crack is odd. Perhaps they didn't replace it with the new plastic?

13. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, he couldn't find it. :| Sucks.

14. jmadlena Guest

While I know that these problems are frustrating, it isn't as widespread as you might think. Apple, time and time again, has been higher than other companies in customer satisfaction.

I know this is little consolation when you are going through problems, but don't assume that because your MacBook doesn't "just work" that everyone else's doesn't as well. I have had very few problems with my MacBook Pro, and the same with several of my friends.

Every company has defective products; that's the price of producing on a massive scale. I hope Apple treats you better than they have been and you can get it fixed. But you will probably have as many problems with any other computer you pick up.

Hope everything works out.

15. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did I claim that everyone who has an Apple computer has these problems? To be completely honest with you, I'm concerned with my own problems in this scenario, not everyone else's lack of them. ;)

16. det2004 macrumors 6502

I also bought my macbook in August of 2007, but it has been the most dependable machine that I have ever owned.

I previously had two Sony Vaio's that had fan problems, power supply problems, and on one of them the connector where the cord plugs into the notebook broke, and it wouldn't charge anymore, I never even dropped it, it just broke when I unplugged it one day.

After my Vaio's, my wife bought me an Alienware notebook. Well, after about 6 months the fan went out, then a couple months after I got it back from getting fixed, it wouldn't turn on one day, sent it back in and the motherboard had to be replaced. A couple months after that, I would pick it up to move it, and it would spontaneously reboot. (motherboard again). I still have this thing, but now the lid doesn't close right, and the dvd-rom doesn't work anymore.

Like I was saying, my macbook has been the best computer that I have ever owned. The only problems I have with it are cosmetic. (trackpad is getting shiny where I have used it so much and I have a small 1/4" crack on the bottom of the case near one of the rubber feet.) Neither of these problems impacts the performance of my macbook, and I'm still quite pleased with the quality of the product. I'm waiting patiently to see what the macbook refresh will bring, and if there are significant upgrades I will likely purchase a new model, but I would be happy to keep my current model, since it still works perfectly.

17. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

^ Good for you ...?

I was wondering how long it would take for the apologists to come out of the woodwork and tell me how great their Mac has been to them!

Well, that's great for you, but it doesn't really help me, now does it?

18. jmadlena Guest

Well, the reason I was talking about other's success rates and problems was because of your use of the term BS. You made it sound like the "Just Works" moniker is ridiculous because it didn't "Just Work" for you. But I do understand how it doesn't matter if everyone else is going fine, and you have a problem, that wouldn't help you at all.

As for the poster above describing how his Mac is the most dependable computer he/she has ever owned, I wouldn't say that they are being an apologist. They are just giving you an example of how their experience compares to yours. I'm guessing that others took your tone to be generalizing the whole Mac experience, just as I did.

And they aren't saying that you aren't really having problems, or that your problems don't matter, so I don't think they are being apologetic at all.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This issue reminds me of the nVidia problem on the MBP. There are numerous reports of the problem and people within the Apple community are aware of the issue, however, it is not widespread enough to sufficiently concern Apple or their investors.

Millions of MB & MBPs work fine and their owners have no complaints. The same can be said for Dell, HP & Sony and yet there are vocal detractors for each manufacturer.

Every one really needs to remember that all mass-produced products are subject to inconsistencies in materials, poor manufacturing equipment maintenance, worker apathy and any other random issue that may impact quality.

Somebody is going to end up with one of those less than perfect machines. The rush to find the lowest cost manufacturing facilities for any given product has exacerbated the problem. Even so-called luxury brands have succumbed to this rush to cut cost and increase margins. Quality suffers but not enough to force more stringent QC.

"Just good enough" is the watch phrase these days and if you're one of the unfortunate who happen to get a unit that's not so good enough, better have bought that extended service plan.

It's sad, It's not right, but it's the world we live in. :(

20. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have never had a problem with any piece of Apple hardware that they have not covered, you say that you baby the thing but really, none of us know how you truly treat the machine. I mean I could be wrong you might truly baby the thing but I kinda side with Apple when it comes to not wanting to replace the plastics. If you think Dell will solve all your problems go for it but you will have to deal with the biggest problem of all, Windows Vista.

Im really sick of these threads, if you dont like your Mac or you think Apple is screwing you I really could care less and the only reason that Im posting this now is to make that clear. You want to go gripe about how bad Apple is go to dellrumors.com.

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Nope, but then again most people could give a crap about your problems either.

22. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then you don't have to read or respond to this thread. :) This thread is perfectly on topic and acceptable IMO. I'm not just some troll. I waited for years to finally switch to a Mac, and now I have and I am completely unsatisfied. Is there no room in the Mac "fandom" for unbiased, dissenting opinions?

23. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

In response to the above post. 98% or so who bought their MacBook's are perfectly happy with them. If you expect this to be a thread for the 2% to gather and rant and only show one opinion, you're no better than the people saying their Mac's were perfect. There's nothing to help you here, as there isn't much we can really do.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you were sold a lemon. It stinks that we have to buy AppleCare these days *remembers the PowerBook days when I never even bothered...*

24. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are wrong, and an idiot for feeling you are in a position to make any judgments about how I treat the machine. If I'd actually beaten it up myself, I never would've bothered to make this thread in the first place.

Here are the images of the cracks on my MacBook:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of these issues are correlated on the cracked MacBook group in my OP.

25. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have a problem with people who have perfect Macs, I am happy for them. However, it is not really relevant to this thread to talk about how perfect your Mac is. There are plenty of praise threads available for that. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.