Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
The problem with this is that this isn't guaranteed to be a beta thing. It could very well be the design they're aiming for. It's not a "bug."

the-prophet

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
What needs to happen is zipping in and out of apps should be fast.

Snappier comes to mind. Yes, what once was a joke is very important.

It needs to be snappier.

petehepple

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
By the same thinking though, why should we need to watch extra animations when we don't even care about them and they serve no useful purpose? I'd like to enjoy actual useful things in life, not animations on my phone that serve no real purpose.

And how exactly is that "by the same thinking" as me? It looks to me like you mean "by the complete opposite thinking".

----------

Scenario:

You are walking to the bank when BAM!!!

Out of the Foot Locker next door comes a BLACK BEAR... You go to open your phone to google what to do and

TOO LATE. During the icon animation the bear steals your wallet and EATS YOU.

Now thanks to Jony Ive you are DEAD and BROKE! Not an easy ride to enjoy!!!

Think about it!!! This is a major issue. Let's Class Action Apple. Who's with me!

:D Now I see the error of my ways!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And how exactly is that "by the same thinking" as me? It looks to me like you mean "by the complete opposite thinking".

----------

:D Now I see the error of my ways!
I assumed your thinking was about not rushing through life and enjoying it, so it would seem like enjoying the meaningful moments of life would fit into that thinking, meaning that it would be better not to spend more time on anything that's essentially meaningless (in order to have more time for meaningful things), which in turn fits in with that thinking.

Now, if that thinking is purely about enjoying any part of life, no matter how meaningless it is, then, no, it doesn't fit into that, but I don't think anyone would really want to "enjoy" spending more time on meaningless things (nor would there be any enjoyment to gain from that really), at least it certainly would make little to no sense to the vast majority of people when it comes to that.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
Totally agree. I've never even noticed this until now. I guess I don't start swiping like a psycho the millisecond after I come out of sleep or switch apps as shown in the videos.

Scenario:

You are at home eating breakfast buritos when a news report comes on A LOCAL PSYCHO has broken out of CRAZY PERSON PRISON!

Just then a man with a AX breaks down your door! You try and unlock your iPhone to see if this man is the Psycho but THE ANIMATIONS ARE TOO SLOW.

He knocks over your plate and AXES YOU TIL YOU DIE. It was the Psycho (!!!) but now you're DEAD AND YOU HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACE.

Change your mind yet!!! APPLE is playing with our lives. Let's go to Cupertino and pass out flyers!

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I think I saw this on Sesame Street this morning...

Elmo was also unhappy with the animations.

----------

Totally agree. I've never even noticed this until now. I guess I don't start swiping like a psycho the millisecond after I come out of sleep or switch apps as shown in the videos.

I'm kinda psycho and even I don't swipe that fast...

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Scenario:

You are walking in the middle of the street when you see a TRUCK Flying right at you!! You pull out your trusty iPhone to call for help, BUT no matter how quickly you move you meat paw over the screen iOS 7 is Animating TOOO SLOOOOOOW.

Now you are taking a dirt nap!

How many people have to DIE, Tim Cook!

Let's not give them the chance! Pitchforks, everyone!!!!

Scenario:

You are walking to the bank when BAM!!!

Out of the Foot Locker next door comes a BLACK BEAR... You go to open your phone to google what to do and

TOO LATE. During the icon animation the bear steals your wallet and EATS YOU.

Now thanks to Jony Ive you are DEAD and BROKE! Not an easy ride to enjoy!!!

Think about it!!! This is a major issue. Let's Class Action Apple. Who's with me!

Scenario:

You are going to ask your girlfriend to marry you, so you take her to lookout point and YOU GUESSED IT....

MOLE PEOPLE jump out. You whip your iPhone and try call for help but the animations are too slow. Its iOS 7's fault your girl is KIDNAPPED.

They release her a week later, but she was Stockholm'd and doesn't want to marry you anymore.

Now you are going to DIE ALONE. Thanks, Steve Jobs! Still think MOLEHILLS are no big deal!!!

Scenario:

You are at home eating breakfast buritos when a news report comes on A LOCAL PSYCHO has broken out of CRAZY PERSON PRISON!

Just then a man with a AX breaks down your door! You try and unlock your iPhone to see if this man is the Psycho but THE ANIMATIONS ARE TOO SLOW.

He knocks over your plate and AXES YOU TIL YOU DIE. It was the Psycho (!!!) but now you're DEAD AND YOU HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACE.

Change your mind yet!!! APPLE is playing with our lives. Let's go to Cupertino and pass out flyers!

If these arguments haven't convinced everyone, nothing will.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
It still wouldn't change the fact that in iOS 7 (so far) animations are longer without any adding anything useful.

Well, in order for something to be considered art it must have no purpose other than itself, no function. And this has quite literally has no function whatsoever for .8 seconds, but then again, it's Jony Ive's work we're talking about here.

It's not a bug, it's a feature art.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, in order for something to be considered art it must have no purpose other than itself, no function. And this has quite literally has no function whatsoever for .8 seconds, but then again, it's Jony Ive's work we're talking about here.

It's not a bug, it's a feature art.
Art and OS functionality/usability really shouldn't be related, at the very least certainly not when something like art would come at some cost of essentially intrinsic and inherent OS concepts like functionality and usability.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Because it's how this stuff gets fixed, by people so called "b!tching."

If no one ever said anything and just treated betas by how you want them to then most stuff would never get fixed. That's how bugs and issues in Betas get fixed most of the time in software...

Apple don't read these forums. They don't take feedback from these forums infact that couldnt care less about these forums. You want to let Apple know about an issue (bugs or whatever) send them a bug report where they will actually read it!! :rolleyes:

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Scenario:

I dont think if some psycho axed your door your gonna unlock ur iPhone and check if hes the psycho as a matter of fact your going to run like a little girl or face him like a man not unlock ur device.....

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
I dont think if some psycho axed your door your gonna unlock ur iPhone and check if hes the psycho as a matter of fact your going to run like a little girl or face him like a man not unlock ur device.....

Wrong! Most people would try to take a nice picture of him and Instagram it.

"Me and the Axe psycho, gonna die xoxoxoxoxo" :-(

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013

Wow that actually makes sense how could i have forgotten, instagram and social networking comes first we gotta share the moment, let the world know iam going to get slaughtered :eek:

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation to finish.

Speaking of animations, I also hate the "fade in/out" animation when waking/sleeping the device. I very much preferred the instant on and off of previous iOS. It fits much better with the solid click of the Power button. Now it just feels delayed and slow.

the-prophet

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
At least we're not seeing this:

waitcursor-300p.jpg

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012

Ha HA. You think everything is games and dancing, but I didn't tell you the whole story.

Scenario (appendex):

You are BETA testing the new iOS but something is wrong. The slow animations are MAKING FUN WITH YOUR MIND!!!

It eventually drives you CRAZY! That's right! YOU are the PSYCHO. ORIGIN STORY!!!!!

You escaped from CRAZY PERSON JAIL when the guard tried to unlock his phone. HE just wanted to check Facebook but now he is FACEDEAD.

Phil Schiller is laughing. This serious matter is costing us lives! Maybe BUG REPORT it?

This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation...

SEE!!!!!!!!!

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation to finish.

Speaking of animations, I also hate the "fade in/out" animation when waking/sleeping the device. I very much preferred the instant on and off of previous iOS. It fits much better with the solid click of the Power button. Now it just feels delayed and slow.

See, I love all the new color, animations, and special fx. iOS seemed too DOS like before. I understand wanting to get crap done, but live a little people...Humans are all artistic to some degree. iOS 7 looks ALIVE!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
See, I love all the new color, animations, and special fx. iOS seemed too DOS like before. I understand wanting to get crap done, but live a little people...Humans are all artistic to some degree. iOS 7 looks ALIVE!
Longer animations don't really make it look alive, nor is it something that's actually useful for a mobile device. The vast majority of people don't have and use a mobile device for some sort of pretty looks it provides while using it to actually do something (and if they are, while it's certainly up to them, it's not the primary or even the secondary use for such devices anyway).

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Longer animations don't really make it look alive, nor is it something that's actually useful for a mobile device. The vast majority of people don't have and use a mobile device for some sort of pretty looks it provides while using it to actually do something (and if they are, while it's certainly up to them, it's not the primary or even the secondary use for such devices anyway).

Link to your sources please?

I'm guessing you don't dress to impress, do you?

Edit: tell that to the car industry.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Link to your sources please?

I'm guessing you don't dress to impress, do you?

Edit: tell that to the car industry.
Yes, function over form. The fact that it's form over function when it comes to various other things, doesn't mean that it's actually good or better, does it? That said, if the form doesn't really interfere with the function, then by all means.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Yes, function over form. The fact that it's form over function when it comes to various other things, doesn't mean that it's actually good or better, does it? That said, if the form doesn't really interfere with the function, then by all means.

Hmm...What IF, the majority of iOS users ARENT hindered by this "lag" and DO appreciate the glitter?

I do agree that if Apple can easily allow you to "skip" the animation, then they should.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmm...What IF, the majority of iOS users ARENT hindered by this "lag" and DO appreciate the glitter?

I do agree that if Apple can easily allow you to "skip" the animation, then they should.
I guess it doesn't impact those people, but it still doesn't mean that it's actually good/better. Just because some (even a majority) aren't bothered by something, doesn't mean it's actually good or at least could (and probably still should) be better, right? So, yeah, maybe not a widespread issue or something people would really care about, but it is there and it can definitely be better in general (and of course for those who would care about it).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
People need to chill out. This is a beta version of a phone OS, not the saviour of mankind from the horrible darkness that lies ahead for our species.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
People need to chill out. This is a beta version of a phone OS, not the saviour of mankind from the horrible darkness that lies ahead for our species.

Scenario:

You are on the International Space Station (ISS!!) watching Community reruns on Hulu. Suddenly you see a MASSIVE SPACE ASTEROID heading for Earth!!!

You grab your iPhone to warn the President but UH-OH those animations!!! Too slow. And now the asteroid has DESTROYED THE PLANET. You could have been the SAVIOR OF MANKIND, but thanks to Tim Cook's ego you will DIE ALONE in the HORRIBLE DARKNESS.

Still think this is funny? Thanks to people like you the humans are dead and Hulu isn't working. No more COMMUNITY!!!!

Let's DO SOMETHING!!! Kickstarter?

#sixseasonsandnotoslowanimations

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.