Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Scenario:

You are on the International Space Station (ISS!!) watching Community reruns on Hulu. Suddenly you see a MASSIVE SPACE ASTEROID heading for Earth!!!

You grab your iPhone to warn the President but UH-OH those animations!!! Too slow. And now the asteroid has DESTROYED THE PLANET. You could have been the SAVIOR OF MANKIND, but thanks to Tim Cook's ego you will DIE ALONE in the HORRIBLE DARKNESS.

Still think this is funny? Thanks to people like you the humans are dead and Hulu isn't working. No more COMMUNITY!!!!

Let's DO SOMETHING!!! Kickstarter?

#sixseasonsandnotoslowanimations

Not really funny.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Certainly the time people are spending participating in this post is way more than the cumulative lag time on their phone.

Seems funny that milliseconds are so precious yet some people will write a multi-paragraph post complaining about it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Certainly the time people are spending participating in this post is way more than the cumulative lag time on their phone.

Seems funny that milliseconds are so precious yet some people will write a multi-paragraph post complaining about it.
Probably because over daily use of their phone those milliseconds will still add up to be more than the time it takes to even compose and write a multi-paragraph post. ;)

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Probably because over daily use of their phone those milliseconds will still add up to be more than the time it takes to even compose and write a multi-paragraph post. ;)

Hardly, especially if you factor in that person checking back to see if comments were made and maybe even replying with another witty complaint. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hardly, especially if you factor in that person checking back to see if comments were made and maybe even replying with another witty complaint. ;)
Even then, the complaining and responding actually serves some use to a person like that (even if just entertainment), while the extra duration of animations has no use at all to such a person (and in fact can even have annoying attributes).

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013

I don't think it's that the milliseconds add up, it's that it's frustrating to perform a gesture on your phone and have it ignored. If I want to go to page 2, I typically don't wait for the animation to finish. I swipe, and I keep swiping until it takes. I personally like the animations, I just hope we'll be able to interrupt them in the GM. My input to the screen should take precedence over an animation.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Scenario:

You are on the International Space Station (ISS!!) watching Community reruns on Hulu. Suddenly you see a MASSIVE SPACE ASTEROID heading for Earth!!!

You grab your iPhone to warn the President but UH-OH those animations!!! Too slow. And now the asteroid has DESTROYED THE PLANET. You could have been the SAVIOR OF MANKIND, but thanks to Tim Cook's ego you will DIE ALONE in the HORRIBLE DARKNESS.

Still think this is funny? Thanks to people like you the humans are dead and Hulu isn't working. No more COMMUNITY!!!!

I'm sure that seemed hilarious in your head...

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
For me the animation speed in ios6 was already very annoying (that's why I jailbreak). If it's this bad in ios7 I will not install it. P
Oh wait, I wouldn't install it anyway without a jailbreak :cool:

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Oh man, I totally know what you mean. It's really annoying how you have to wait. When I workout I log each my workout sets in an app and I always get frustrated with waiting until my phone can function.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I'm failing to understand what one needs to be swiping so fast for, so can someone here explain what they are doing that requires such immediate response by the OS?

Give real examples, please?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm failing to understand what one needs to be swiping so fast for, so can someone here explain what they are doing that requires such immediate response by the OS?

iOS has usually always prioritised user input over everything else. By the sounds of it, this has changed.

Can you still start scrolling in the other direction mid scroll? That's the main time I can think of where I regularly interrupt animations.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

In the videos, they were swiping fast to show you the delay between unlocking the iPhone and being able to swipe between pages of apps or when changing app using the multitasking and before the app is usable.

I compared the two videos to my iPhone 4 (Running iOS:6), my 4 was definitely faster in both cases. This must be just a beta related thing.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I think they sped up some of the other animations, such as actually going into an app, but yes... the unlock one is still absolutely terrible. They need to speed it up a lot and make it interactive while it's still mid-animation.

If you're on iOS 6, try swiping to the next home screen page while it's still doing the unlock animation. It carries on doing the animation as it's being pushed off the page.

It needs to be like that again!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
point is, it's not better than the product it is replacing - ios 6.
The animation speed i.e. duration is great. HOWEVER IT BLOCKS 'USER INTERACTION'. It didn't happen in older versions of iOS.
This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation to finish....
^^please see quote from shandyman below \/
The problem with this is that this isn't guaranteed to be a beta thing. It could very well be the design they're aiming for. It's not a "bug."
HIGHLY UNLIKELY (see quote from shandyman below \/).
It's been noticed in previous iOS betas, like iOS 5 and 6, that there was lag during the beta, which disappeared with GM. So this thread is mostly people getting their knickers in a twist, showing a video claiming that GM and final release will be laggy.

Additionally, the animations were sped up from beta 1, to 2 to 3, so there are things being done.
...Speaking of animations, I also hate the "fade in/out" animation when waking/sleeping the device. I very much preferred the instant on and off of previous iOS. It fits much better with the solid click of the Power button. Now it just feels delayed and slow.
I happen to like the fading there and at other times w/iOS 7, and the animation/fade when turning it off was sped up about beta 4 or 5, so it will likely be a bit faster...but, what makes you think there will be clicking lock sounds anymore? That was skewmorphic, they could give us all new sounds in the GM, and I hope they do, it's time for a change!

Well, in order for something to be considered art it must have no purpose other than itself, no function. And this has quite literally has no function whatsoever for .8 seconds, but then again, it's Jony Ive's work we're talking about here.

It's not a bug, it's a feature art.
If all you care about is function then go get a blackberry!! Some of us like art, and this is functional art, I like the animations, but, read quote above from shandyman^^ so, you see, if you care so much about function, then why are you wasting your time posting about something Apple is working on, this is one thing with betas that is very likely to change by the time it goes GM.

OP and all of you that agree with OP: you people act as if iOS 7 is finished and this is how it will be!? It's a total overhaul of iOS, so let them finish it! Everyone knows betas are not optimized for speed until the GM. If you can't deal with it go back to iOS 6 until the GM is released or shut the ef up already, this kind of post is driving me nuts, not iOS 7, iOS 7 is great!
Think about it!!! This is a major issue. Let's Class Action Apple. Who's with me!
Thanks iCaramba for the sarcasm, made me laugh, ...the only reason I kept reading this thread! :D

One good thing...at least no one mentioned battery drain in this thread, ...or the Photos icon. ;O)

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I remember when people like you were sympathetic of the maps in ios 6. Calling it as just a beta.
Guess what, the GM came out and it still sucked

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I can see why this will annoy people, but I can honestly say I've never encountered the problem myself. I must use my phone really slowly!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm sure that seemed hilarious in your head...

Some voices agreed, others disagreed.

^^please see quote from shandyman below

Looking at many of the user titles in this forum I'm not sure how many were around for previous betas. They may have been just lurking, who knows. The point is that there is a marked difference between betas and the GM and the next x.0.1 and higher releases in many areas including (and especially) performance. If history is an indication then GM will perform better than the last beta and x.0.1 will perform better than the GM, etc.

It's fun do discuss and speculate and rant but this has all happened before, is expected, and eventually the cylons and humans learn to live together.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Scenario:

If you're using beta software on an international space station, you probably deserve to be the fool who accidently doesn't save the human race from a freak asteroid invasion.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

There are plenty of funny examples on here since the OP stated "those situations where waiting 2 seconds is not an open". In other words there ISN'T a situation that's realistic where those extra couple seconds will mean doom and gloom. :D

Just a whiner that can't wait the extra second for animation to complete....in a beta....that's filled with diagnostic and logging code.....yep.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I can see why this will annoy people, but I can honestly say I've never encountered the problem myself. I must use my phone really slowly!

You don't use your phone slowly, probably normally. These kids have had too many stimulants/caffeine:eek:. But, in reality, that little bit of lag won't be there when apple is done.

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
I put a lot of frequently used "mission-critical" apps on second page and I'm forced to look at the animation for no useful reason :mad: :eek:

Even apps on homescreen don't launch UNTIL the animation finishes.. that is terrible beyond belief.

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Calm the hell down?!?!

Have you guys been using iOS 6? Do up a comparison with iOS 7 and 6 side by side. You'll realize this so called 'lag" is blown way out of proportion. It existed since iOS 6!

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
Calm the hell down?!?!

Have you guys been using iOS 6? Do up a comparison with iOS 7 and 6 side by side. You'll realize this so called 'lag" is blown way out of proportion. It existed since iOS 6!

iOS 6 is extremely slick and smooth on my iPhone 5.

But people need to calm down, once iOS engineers remove the debug headers from the betas of iOS 7 (or going GM) the GM will be as slick and as smooth as iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.