Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
once iOS engineers remove the debug headers from the betas of iOS 7 (or going GM) the GM will be as slick and as smooth as iOS 6.

That was exactly what I thought when running iOS4 beta on my iPhone3G. But Apple never fixed it after GM. That's why some people concern about iOS7 and I fully understand where it came from.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
That was exactly what I thought when running iOS4 beta on my iPhone3G. But Apple never fixed it after GM. That's why some people concern about iOS7 and I fully understand where it came from.

That was iOS 4. They have learned from their mistakes with iOS 5 and 6. Press had a giant cry about iOS 4 performance after GM so they released 4.1 to
Fix it and it seems they haven't had that problem since.

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
That was iOS 4. They have learned from their mistakes with iOS 5 and 6. Press had a giant cry about iOS 4 performance after GM so they released 4.1 to
Fix it and it seems they haven't had that problem since.

As a iPhone 3G owner, I could tell you Apple did not fix performance issue for it. Running 3G with iOS4 is a totally nightmare.

I can see similar thing happen to iOS7,

1. People complained about performance during beta. Apple defender said "don't worry it's beta."
2. People complained it after formal released. Apple defender said "report it to Apple, so that Apple can fix it."
3. People complained it after some update. Apple defender said "buy a new iPhone4."

Slow animation, unresponsive typing usually get fixed before beta. Beta is supposed to test compatibility, functionality of OS. I'm afraid previous model are not capable to handle new flat UI. We won't get a satisfied experience until buying a iPhone5S.

BogdanS

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
Concerning Animation

You can check out the performance of your iPhone using animated panoramic wallpapers by going to this link http://panoramico.audiko.com You don't have to be the user of iOS 7 to see how it will perform on your iPhone.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
I'm afraid previous model are not capable to handle new flat UI. We won't get a satisfied experience until buying a iPhone5S.

Is this a bad thing? Shouldn't each new model bring better performance? I wouldn't expect that new technologies in software would work equally effectively on older hardware. I don't think it's Apple (or any other company) "forcing" us to buy new products... it's the nature of technology.

angelwings

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
I find it astonishing that people are saying "just wait" and it "doesn't matter".

This is a frustrating situation for people who can navigate the phone quickly.

It's like having a keyboard that takes 2 seconds to register your button press and every press needs to be wait before the next.

I mean, if you type slow that's fine, but for people who type fast is annoying.

This is the same thing, the lag/long animation is annoying as hell.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
This is the same thing, the lag/long animation is annoying as hell.

It is, but I don't think it'll be there in the GM. Remember how opening folders used to lag? In betas 1 through 4 you had to wait until the folder opening animation completed. I almost always made at least one false tap trying to open an app in a folder. Beta 5 fixed that. Now, no matter how quickly I tap the icon, the app opens. I think they'll fix these other lags, too.

I don't think they'll make the animation any faster (it doesn't really need to be), but I think they'll make it so you can interrupt the animation, and you don't have to wait until its finished.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
As a iPhone 3G owner, I could tell you Apple did not fix performance issue for it. Running 3G with iOS4 is a totally nightmare.

I can see similar thing happen to iOS7,

1. People complained about performance during beta. Apple defender said "don't worry it's beta."
2. People complained it after formal released. Apple defender said "report it to Apple, so that Apple can fix it."
3. People complained it after some update. Apple defender said "buy a new iPhone4."

Slow animation, unresponsive typing usually get fixed before beta. Beta is supposed to test compatibility, functionality of OS. I'm afraid previous model are not capable to handle new flat UI. We won't get a satisfied experience until buying a iPhone5S.

And they have learned from their mistakes hence that's why iPhone 3G or below doesn't do iOS 7.

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
And they have learned from their mistakes hence that's why iPhone 3G or below doesn't do iOS 7.

No, they don't. iPhone4 get iOS7 but iPhone 3GS doesn't, even we all know 3GS has better graphic performance than 4.

The same thing will happen again.

Last edited:

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Is this a bad thing? Shouldn't each new model bring better performance? I wouldn't expect that new technologies in software would work equally effectively on older hardware. I don't think it's Apple (or any other company) "forcing" us to buy new products... it's the nature of technology.

You tell me, whether a 2 seconds typing delay a bad thing?

Bottom line is, typing on 3G was absolutely fine before iOS4. I don't expect iOS update to make old phone running new function faster. But apple make running old things, which were fine in previous iOS, become terrible after iOS update. Is this your so-called "nature of technology"?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
You tell me, whether a 2 seconds typing delay a bad thing?

Bottom line is, typing on 3G was absolutely fine before iOS4. I don't expect iOS update to make old phone running new function faster. But apple make running old things, which were fine in previous iOS, become terrible after iOS update. Is this your so-called "nature of technology"?

I'm sorry. I don't agree with your reasoning (my opinion only). I want Apple (and other tech companies) to make new & better products, not spend valuable resources forcing new technologies (ios7) to work on old products. I think if people don't want to upgrade hardware and want their phones to work the same way they they did when purchased them, they have the option of not upgrading.

I have had my Infiniti G37 for 4 years and I accept that I'm not getting the cool new features of the newer models. One day I will upgrade my hardware (next year... Q60!) and for some amount of time Ill have the best Q60 there is. I don't expect Infiniti to keep my current model working as well as the newest models... years later. I really don't understand why phones are so different.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm sorry. I don't agree with your reasoning (my opinion only). I want Apple (and other tech companies) to make new & better products, not spend valuable resources forcing new technologies (ios7) to work on old products. I think if people don't want to upgrade hardware and want their phones to work the same way they they did when purchased them, they have the option of not upgrading.

I have had my Infiniti G37 for 4 years and I accept that I'm not getting the cool new features of the newer models. One day I will upgrade my hardware (next year... Q60!) and for some amount of time Ill have the best Q60 there is. I don't expect Infiniti to keep my current model working as well as the newest models... years later. I really don't understand why phones are so different.
What if each year Infinity made a software update to your car that brought some needed features and fixes but at the same time slowed down the acceleration of the car to a slight degree? And there you have it.

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010

Sorry, I find it's hard to understand your logic. Is typing a new technology that too much for old model?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
What if each year Infinity made a software update to your car that brought some needed features and fixes but at the same time slowed down the acceleration of the car to a slight degree? And there you have it.

I truly don't think ANY feature on iOS7 is "needed". That's perhaps where our opinions differ the most.

If Infiniti had software updates (oh how I wish they did) then I would weigh the benefit of the updates with the downsides of putting new software on an older car. I go into this KNOWING that I purchased my car "as is" and any update would be just icing. I would answer the question, "Would a slightly slower acceleration be worth the extra cool things?" Maybe yes, maybe no. Wish I had that choice.

I really want the new iOS in the car; if they told me they could add it to my current car (so I didn't have to spend another $35k+)... trust me, I would give up acceleration. Easily.

----------

Is typing a new technology that too much for old model?

? :confused:

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
You said
and I'm asking you if typing a new technology of iOS update that Apple should not make sure it works on old products as smoothly as it was?

I'm honestly not sure what question your asking, but if it's something like "Should Apple make sure the new iOS works as smoothly on the old hardware as the old iOS did?" then I answer "No.".

There is probably a reason that the new software doesn't work as smoothly. Perhaps it's due to the limitations of the old hardware, understandably.

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
I'm honestly not sure what question your asking, but if it's something like "Should Apple make sure the new iOS works as smoothly on the old hardware as the old iOS did?" then I answer "No.".

There is probably a reason that the new software doesn't work as smoothly. Perhaps it's due to the limitations of the old hardware, understandably.

Do you ever type message or words on your iPhone? Do you think typing words on iPhone a new technology that "should not work as smoothly as it was after update"?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Do you ever type message or words on your iPhone? Do you think typing words on iPhone a new technology that "should not work as smoothly as it was after update"?

Do I type words on my iPhone. Yes I do.

No, the new technology is the iOS software (which is a beta, which people keep forgetting). There are lots of things going on under the hood of internal software and much of it will be used on much faster and more capable future models of phones. I'd rather they spend time making it work better for the NEW phones, not the old ones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I truly don't think ANY feature on iOS7 is "needed". That's perhaps where our opinions differ the most.

If Infiniti had software updates (oh how I wish they did) then I would weigh the benefit of the updates with the downsides of putting new software on an older car. I go into this KNOWING that I purchased my car "as is" and any update would be just icing. I would answer the question, "Would a slightly slower acceleration be worth the extra cool things?" Maybe yes, maybe no. Wish I had that choice.

I really want the new iOS in the car; if they told me they could add it to my current car (so I didn't have to spend another $35k+)... trust me, I would give up acceleration. Easily.

----------

? :confused:
When vast majority of apps become incompatible with the version of os that you are on...it kind of becomes needed. That's just one example. Security enhancements and fixes that are there in almost any update are alone what makes them more or less needed whether people realize (or even agree) or not.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
No, they don't. iPhone4 get iOS7 but iPhone 3GS doesn't, even we all know 3GS has better graphic performance than 4.

The same thing will happen again.

....So you're really saying the 3GS has better graphics than the iPhone 4?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
When vast majority of apps become incompatible with the version of os that you are on...it kind of becomes needed.

Vast majorities? Let's just agree to disagree. I know people on very old phones with old iOSs and the vast majority of their apps DO work (I agree some don't... and frankly, apps can be used the way they were originally installed and never updated).

Security enhancements and fixes that are there in almost any update are alone what makes them more or less needed whether people realize (or even agree) or not.

Hardly "needed"; perhaps a better word is recommended. Again, I know plenty of people that use old iOSs. They are perfectly happy with them; in fact, most don't even use a password to turn on their phone (shudder) because it's too inconvenient.

Besides, if they want the securest possible system they can upgrade hardware if they can't handle a 2 second lag on an old phone.

People are getting so spoiled by technology...

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Do I type words on my iPhone. Yes I do.

No, the new technology is the iOS software (which is a beta, which people keep forgetting). There are lots of things going on under the hood of internal software and much of it will be used on much faster and more capable future models of phones. I'd rather they spend time making it work better for the NEW phones, not the old ones.

For me typing on iOS is not a new technology, even after iOS update. If users have to buy new hardware to get typing, or the other "old thing", as smoothly as it did, I would call it BS. This kind of inconsistent user experience is worsed than OS fragmentation.

----------

....So you're really saying the 3GS has better graphics than the iPhone 4?

Read again, I said 3GS has better graphic "performance".

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
For me typing on iOS is not a new technology, even after iOS update. If users have to buy new hardware to get typing, or the other "old thing", as smoothly as it did, I would call it BS. This kind of inconsistent user experience is worsed than OS fragmentation.

----------

Read again, I said 3GS has better graphic "performance".

Please explain exactly how that's true and or possible.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Vast majorities? Let's just agree to disagree. I know people on very old phones with old iOSs and the vast majority of their apps DO work (I agree some don't... and frankly, apps can be used the way they were originally installed and never updated).

Hardly "needed"; perhaps a better word is recommended. Again, I know plenty of people that use old iOSs. They are perfectly happy with them; in fact, most don't even use a password to turn on their phone (shudder) because it's too inconvenient.

Besides, if they want the securest possible system they can upgrade hardware if they can't handle a 2 second lag on an old phone.

People are getting so spoiled by technology...
When security is seen as recommended or is based on how people like or feel about something...that's a fail on all accounts. The fact that people might be ignorant on purpose or without knowing isn't even an excuse of any kind.

As for apps, with the redesign of the OS you can only expect more and more apps to update quicker to fit in and thus often lose support for older OS versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.