Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Thanks crw. Unfortunately, my email doesn't appear to be the same as yours.

Mine's entitled, "iMac Pro. The news you’ve been waiting for."

Mine has the same title. See the "Add to calendar" link at the bottom on mine.

iMacPro.jpeg

Reactions: RuffDraft

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Mine has the same title. See the "Add to calendar" link at the bottom on mine.

View attachment 741704

Mine doesn't have that, unfortunately - I'm based in the UK, but the UK site has the same date applied (14th).

I'll wait around and hopefully people will be able to say when the release time will be for us in the UK. Thanks for your help though.

I'm aiming for the 10-core, 64GB RAM and 16GB Vega. Hoping it costs £6.5K at most, but I have a feeling that it may be £7.5K instead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 15.35.24.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 15.35.24.png
    77 KB · Views: 98

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I'm aiming for the 10-core, 64GB RAM and 16GB Vega. Hoping it costs £6.5K at most, but I have a feeling that it may be £7.5K instead.

That's the same configuration I want to get. I am hoping for $7K USD but I expect it will be $8K USD (about $1,000 each for the 8 core->10 core, 32GB -> 64GB, and Vega 56/8->64/16 upgrades).

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
That's the same configuration I want to get. I am hoping for $7K USD but I expect it will be $8K USD (about $1,000 each for the 8 core->10 core, 32GB -> 64GB, and Vega 56/8->64/16 upgrades).

Do you think the jump in GPU will be so great? I was thinking that the jump from 8 to 10-core will definitely be £1000, as well as the RAM, but the Mac Pro upgrade of the GPU is only £180? I thought the GPU upgrade would be a maximum of £300?

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
This is a Safari limitation, if you watch his videos in Chrome, they play in 4K :)

Even so, you'd suspect that the two people who have made YouTube videos for the iMac Pro would have been more informative. Vincent Laforet actually drops test results - he's actually a full time professional using real world items to a degree.

These other two YouTubers created really uninformative videos and basically just made another spec video - absolute waste of time. I get that they have an audience, but to have one make a tech setup is a complete waste of time - his iMac Pro didn't even need to be running - he just wanted to touch it and embrace it a little too much. Meanwhile, the other guy drops RED 8K footage into it and doesn't test the machine with anything else... not that helpful considering most of us don't operate REDs, and if we did, we'd have purpose built machines and be running a video empire.

They could have given the iMac Pro to much better individuals. Great to see Vincent getting his time with the machine and great to see such an informative post from him, though his iMac wasn't running with an SSD.

Maybe Apple doesn't want this in the hands of people like Joema2? They would actually release the facts on this machine.

After reading Vincent's post, I'm definitely moving to an Optimised Media workflow. I'm just going to need to have a little clear up of my edit drive.

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Do you think the jump in GPU will be so great? I was thinking that the jump from 8 to 10-core will definitely be £1000, as well as the RAM, but the Mac Pro upgrade of the GPU is only £180? I thought the GPU upgrade would be a maximum of £300?

$300-$400 for the GPU upgrade would be great. Just trying not to get my hopes up on the pricing ;)

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Apple business guys have been in touch but I may jump as soon as available as would like to make sure I have for the beginning of Jan at the latest. As I'm getting for 4K FCP X footage really - I'm wondering if I should get 64GB RAM or the upgraded video card just to extend how long this thing will last me for. Any opinions on 32GB v 64GB RAM with FCP X? (Hard to know anything without the pricing.)

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Even so, you'd suspect that the two people who have made YouTube videos for the iMac Pro would have been more informative. Vincent Laforet actually drops test results - he's actually a full time professional using real world items to a degree.

These other two YouTubers created really uninformative videos and basically just made another spec video - absolute waste of time. I get that they have an audience, but to have one make a tech setup is a complete waste of time - his iMac Pro didn't even need to be running - he just wanted to touch it and embrace it a little too much. Meanwhile, the other guy drops RED 8K footage into it and doesn't test the machine with anything else... not that helpful considering most of us don't operate REDs, and if we did, we'd have purpose built machines and be running a video empire.

They could have given the iMac Pro to much better individuals. Great to see Vincent getting his time with the machine and great to see such an informative post from him, though his iMac wasn't running with an SSD.

Maybe Apple doesn't want this in the hands of people like Joema2? They would actually release the facts on this machine.

After reading Vincent's post, I'm definitely moving to an Optimised Media workflow. I'm just going to need to have a little clear up of my edit drive.

I was encouraged by Vincent's video. I would like to see some more hands-on reviews before finalizing my configuration.

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I was encouraged by Vincent's video. I would like to see some more hands-on reviews before finalizing my configuration.

Sounds wise, driftless. The benchmark tests show a considerable improvement between the 8 and 10-core and I've been waiting for too long to wait any longer. I just hope I can spring for the 64GB RAM, along with the 16GB Vega and 10-core. It'll be interesting to see the costings for the updates. I don't think they're going to be cheap.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Sounds wise, driftless. The benchmark tests show a considerable improvement between the 8 and 10-core and I've been waiting for too long to wait any longer. I just hope I can spring for the 64GB RAM, along with the 16GB Vega and 10-core. It'll be interesting to see the costings for the updates. I don't think they're going to be cheap.
That would be my ideal. Problem is, once you've decided to pay that much, what's a thousand or two more?!!

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008

I have to agree. I was also very disappointed by the first glimpse videos. Especially Morrison's video contained zero information whatsoever.
I'm planning to review a version of the iMac Pro once I get my hands on it but who knows when that will be!
I have the feeling it's going to be hard to find. Especially specific specs.

But I will definitely test it out with something a little bit more taxing like 3D rendering. So once I have it setup I'll be sure to post the video here.
I'm just hoping it's going to be before new year. Keeping my fingers crossed!

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
That would be my ideal. Problem is, once you've decided to pay that much, what's a thousand or two more?!!

Haha so true!

I think I'm pushing the limit of my budget by upgrading to 16GB Vega and 10-Core, so I'm not so sure that splurging for the 64GB RAM will make sense given that the extra 32GB might not be massively benefitical for FCPX alone and some Motion work?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I think I'm pushing the limit of my budget by upgrading to 16GB Vega and 10-Core, so I'm not so sure that splurging for the 64GB RAM will make sense given that the extra 32GB might not be massively benefitical for FCPX alone and some Motion work?

How much RAM do you have now? And how much is being used during your work?

Are you running into limits?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm a Unity3D developer (most of the time at least). I know I don't need iMac Pro, and I do know it is a total overkill for me (not developing any AAA+ titles), but I would really want one. I hate that I don't have a desktop mac, since iMac with i7 is out of the question due to throttling.

I can afford it, but then again, buying a workstation AIO, and not needing one is out of the question. Now I just have to resist the urge, and wait for a real mac pro, or an updated iMac that doesn't throttle or sound like a jet engine when pushed harder :)

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
How much RAM do you have now? And how much is being used during your work?

Are you running into limits?

I don’t believe so, but I’m switching to a new workflow of using Optimised Media and I have read that FCPX will take up more RAM if it’s available, but it has no white paper, so it’s hard to know what it utilises.

I currently have 16GB RAM, but it does struggle when I add iTunes into the mix. I’d rather “future proof” the iMac Pro as much as possible by adding 64GB RAM, but ultimately it comes down to budget.

I do think it’d be wise to go that extra stretch though. What would you do?

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
I don’t believe so, but I’m switching to a new workflow of using Optimised Media and I have read that FCPX will take up more RAM if it’s available, but it has no white paper, so it’s hard to know what it utilises.

I currently have 16GB RAM, but it does struggle when I add iTunes into the mix. I’d rather “future proof” the iMac Pro as much as possible by adding 64GB RAM, but ultimately it comes down to budget.

For me, it's also about what upgrades will push delivery time back. I'm no FCP X expert and that's what I'm really getting this Mac for. Can't seem to get a definitive answer on RAM, everybody just says more is better. Normally I would just pop in more RAM after a couple of years, hard to do all this upfront knowing Apple will take the p*ss with RAM prices and without knowing what all the other upgrades will cost.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
At the moment I have 24GB of Ram. Working on several applications like Photoshop, Cinema 4D and illustrator at the same time can reach the limits. At some point you will notice that you're hitting the virtual memory but it's nothing really super annoying. And you can always close documents or a complete application. With Final cut I haven't managed to max out the memory. And I'm doing 4K video editing.
So I have the feeling 32GB will be enough. I would sure like to add more at some later point but unfortunately Apple is not making it easy for us.
I'm also debating 64GB for future proofing but the price will just sky-rocket. So I think I might stick with 32GB.
Looking forward to the prices on Thursday

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

It might be $1,000 to go from the standard 32GB to 64GB. So I guess it would depend on how much benefit you'd get from adding another 1/5th to the cost of the base iMac Pro.

You're right about "futureproofing" though... since you can't add RAM later!

I just watched a Youtube video testing various amounts of RAM in an iMac running FCPX... 8GB, 16GB, 24GB, 32GB

He was testing exporting a sequence of multiple 4K clips with LUTs and filmgrain.

After 24GB... there was no improvement in export times. 32GB was basically the same. Playback and overall "smoothness" was fine too.

So I would imagine 64GB wouldn't be any different either.

His video is a couple years old at this point though... and I'm not sure what types of files you are working with.

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
For me, it's also about what upgrades will push delivery time back. I'm no FCP X expert and that's what I'm really getting this Mac for. Can't seem to get a definitive answer on RAM, everybody just says more is better. Normally I would just pop in more RAM after a couple of years, hard to do all this upfront knowing Apple will take the p*ss with RAM prices and without knowing what all the other upgrades will cost.

Definitely. I think that’s why 64GB seems like a wise decision, as you’d hate the iMac Pro in 4 years if 32 started to cause a bottleneck which is possible.

I know some people who edit 2 4K streams with no issues with 16GB MacBook Pros, but it’s what will happen to the OS and what will happen to our workflows in time.

£1,000 for 64GB RAM seems to be expected.

Reactions: kingjames1970

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
It might be $1,000 to go from the standard 32GB to 64GB. So I guess it would depend on how much benefit you'd get from adding another 1/5th to the cost of the base iMac Pro.

You're right about "futureproofing" though... since you can't add RAM later!

I just watched a Youtube video testing various amounts of RAM in an iMac running FCPX... 8GB, 16GB, 24GB, 32GB

He was testing exporting a sequence of multiple 4K clips with LUTs and filmgrain.

After 24GB... there was no improvement in export times. 32GB was basically the same. Playback and overall "smoothness" was fine too.

So I would imagine 64GB wouldn't be any different either.

His video is a couple years old at this point though... and I'm not sure what types of files you are working with.

Interesting. I imagine 32GB will be plenty still. I’m only throwing 8bit 4K 100mb/s files x 3 in multicam edits with limited effects and around ten audio devices.

The move to 10 bit should be possible with this iMac Pro though, so for corporate work, I may move to 400mb/s 10 bit and see what I can create.

That said, I just want 3 4K streams to be editable quickly and for playback to be smooth and the viewer to still show good quality video. At the moment, my setup creates a blurry mess in the viewer, so that alone will be huge.

I suspect that I’m going to want to make the move for 64GB. I have the ability to make it happen, most likely, but I am not sure I’ll want to when it comes down to pressing the button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.