Why is Apple Watch not recognising exercise anymore??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by debsagos, Apr 22, 2017.

1. debsagos macrumors member

debsagos

Hi all,

I have recently updated to newest watch IOS, but it seems it is very hard to fill my green exercise ring, even though I'm doing plenty of vigorous outside walking which is raising my heart rate considerably. This was not an issue before updating at all. The exercise does not even register if I choose to do an 'outdoor walk' workout......

Does anyone else have the same problem!? Any fixes?

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Somebody said that you have to be moving at a certain speed when doing the outdoor walk workout. 3 MPH I believe. I don't understand how the Watch determines exercise either.

3. debsagos thread starter macrumors member

debsagos

I have never had an issue amassing exercise, but it has drastically changed since I updated?

4. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Try these steps:-
    First up
    Hard Reset the watch [Press & Hold Both Buttons until the white apple logo shows].

If that does not work
    Un-pair the watch then re-pair.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Is you heart rate sensor working well? Have you checked it while up and exercising? It needs to be elevated to register.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apple tends to tweak things on the backend when it comes to exercising and what counts. You can always reset your calibration data and re-calibrate it to see if it reconfigures to your stride. This would help it more accurately read your speed.

7. beartjie macrumors newbie

This is the correct steps to take.

I had the same issue Saturday where the watch decided to stop picking up my standing hours, time and distance walked. Ended up unpairing the watch and pairing again with my phone and started working again...

Now I just have to find a workable solution for the watching switching off every now and then.

8. CE3 macrumors 6502a

You can walk any pace you choose after starting an "outdoor walk" workout. I've been taking nature walks with my camera this spring, stopping frequently to snap photos, and my watch tracks the activity with no problem.

The first day I got mine it didn't properly track my exercise and I had to re-pair, so I agree that restarting and re-pairing are the first steps to take. Either way, it's a technical issue. Lately I've noticed some of my standing hours aren't registering.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have had whole days with no standing hours while showing over 13k steps and 16 flights of stairs.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Definitely no required pace with an outdoor walk. If you start an activity manually and do absolutely nothing, it should still register. Follow the instructions above.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

This is definitely inaccurate. The required pace is 3mph in order to get exercise minutes. The only walk/run exercise that does not require this 3mph minimum is indoor walk or indoor run. But I can 100% verify after 2 years of using my watch that outdoor walk/run requires the 3mph pace (Apple has told confirmed that to me more than once). I go for a walk/run every single day and when my pace slows below 3mph or I am stopped at stop lights and don't pause the workout, I do not get credit for that minute of exercise. I went on a 75 minute walk on Monday and I got 68 minutes of exercise credit. Its even clearly outlined in Apple's support article, brisk walk pace required, which is 3mph.

12. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

When you fill one exercise goal,the watch automatically sets a new and higher goal.

13. NukeDuke macrumors newbie

this is 100% untrue . People on this forum have said this in the past but I know for a fact that the exercise ring will fill when I am just sitting for an extended period of time. Its a joke. also, My exercise ring is always filled with just regular everyday activities like shopping at costco etc. by the time I go to the gym around 3pm my exercise ring is long been filled and it really should not be.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats because it has used calibration data in the past to determine what you stride is and it is thinking you are moving at 3mph. Everything I said is 100% accurate. I had problems with the watch after launch and spent 2 months working with Tim Cook's executive team regarding heart rate, exercise, calories and more. Running an outdoor workout does not give you free exercise minutes. Its easily verifiable. Sit on the couch, run an outdoor walk for 5 minutes, your exercise minutes will not be credited. You will get "fake" move credit based on your heart rate, but not minutes.

I will run a 5 minuted outdoor walk right now to prove it and post screenshots.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2017 ---
    Here you go. Here is concrete proof that running an outdoor walk does not give you free exercise credit.

IMG_0780.PNG IMG_0781.PNG IMG_0782.PNG

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm disabled, and there's no way I get to 3MPH outdoors. Unlikely, but more possible indoors. But as others have pointed out, even if you set the watch to start and sit on the couch, it will fill your ring. I did it by accident once.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I just posted above that that is not accurate. The only exercises that give credit for sitting on a couch are indoor cycle and other. Outdoor walk does not fill in credit automatically as my screenshot posted above proves.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

So how the heck did I earn my Earth Day badge on Saturday? As I said, 3MPH would be quite a feat for me.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Because its based on your calibration data and stride. It is very well possible your stride was calibrated at being shorter than what it is naturally, so if you were walking even a tad faster than your calibrated stride, it would cause the mph to seem faster. The 3mph is based on your stride and not actual GPS data. I've spent the last 2 years testing all my hypothesis with the Apple Watch. I've tested it with multiple family members that have the watch and we as a pack change our calibration constantly to figure out how it works in its entirety because Apple doesn't live to give that information out publicly. Curiosity killed the cat, but hey, I like to learn.

19. Julien, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Disregard what Mlrollin91 is saying about the absolute 3mph speed. Mlrollin91 was told this by someone at Apple and continues to insist it is fact. Exercise is relative (NOT an absolute) and individual that is related to your age, sex, weight, hight and condition. While 3mph may be an average it is not an absolute and exercise credit algorithms are based on your individual metrics.

For instance here is an inspiring video of a person who is doing extreme running and would differently get credit if wearing an :apple:Watch. There maximum anaerobic effort is only about 3mph. So their aerobic effort would be well below an absolute 3mph threshold, making it arbitrary. They would probably receive Exercise credit (and an aerobic workout) below 2mph.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/sport/101-year-old-man-kaur-wins-100m-world-masters-games/

20. Mlrollin91, Apr 26, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You've got to be kidding me. Apple directly states all over the website that a brisk walk is required. A brisk walk is 3mph. We have had this hashed out before. You continue to be a non-believer of what Apple engineers have directly verified. Who am I going to trust more, the engineers who built and maintain the device, or some random person online that has yet to prove their stance. A brisk walk IS ABSOLUTE. A brisk walk is a minimum of 3MPH according to the CDC which is what Apple uses as their guideline. This is how the Apple Watch tracks exercise minutes.

Why don't you go out and verify if you are so set on proving me wrong. I have been doing this for exactly 2 years now.

I won't continue to argue the same point with you anymore, at least not till you can prove your stance that it does not require a 3mph rate. I have verified for 2 years that it is 3mph. I have intentionally walked at 2.5mph on several occasions to verify. Guess what, didn't get any credit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit:

If you even have an Apple Watch I know exactly how to prove to you that it requires a minimum speed.

When NOT running a workout, walk around your house or down the street at a slow pace. You will get move credit, but not exercise credit. Now do the same exact thing at a brisk pace. You will get both move and exercise credit. This is NOT using your heart rate as the heart rate is only used when running a workout. This 100% proves that there is a set minimum speed for exercise credit to actually count. I do this EVERY single day at school and work. I ONLY get credit when moving at a fast enough pace.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Incorrect again.

Brisk Walking Means Moderate Intensity Exercise
    Brisk walking actually refers to your exertion. For your walking pace to be brisk, you need to be breathing harder than usual. While you should still be able to speak in full sentences, you shouldn't be able to sing.

The moderate intensity zone is defined by the CDC as being from 50% to 70% of their maximum heart rate.

This varies by age. The best way to measure exertion is by pulse rate or heart rate and using a target heart rate calculator to see whether you are in a moderate intensity zone for your age.

https://www.verywell.com/how-fast-is-brisk-walking-3436887

22. Mlrollin91, Apr 26, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Read my edit. I proved all this as not necessary in how the Apple Watch counts exercise. Apple Watch ONLY uses the heart rate monitor when a workout is running. So by your logic, it would NEVER give exercise minutes unless a workout was running. Therefore your entire individual stats is 100% incorrect in how the Apple Watch counts exercise credit.

When a workout is NOT running, it has to rely on speed/pace of a brisk walk. NOTHING else. Because there is nothing else to check.

EDIT:

We've been down this road before so I will just start posting my old posts: #49

"Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals. For wheelchair users, this is measured in brisk pushes. Any activity below this level counts only toward your daily Move goal.

Make sure that you earn Exercise credit during walks by allowing the arm with your Apple Watch to swing naturally. For example, while walking your pet, let the arm with your watch swing freely while the other holds the leash.

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit by using the Workout app. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, a heart rate sensor, and the GPS on your iPhone if you carry it with you. Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch, tap Outdoor Walk, and bring your iPhone on the walk."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

So AGAIN. NON-workouts, use accelerometer to track your speed and pace. NOT heart rate. Therefore there MUST be a minimum speed. Apple has said its 3MPH. Believe it or not.

I will end with this as I need to study for finals. Take it or leave it, but Apple has made it very clear.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

and I always thought that the HR was what the watch used to indicate exercise.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Nope. It's only a piece of the picture when a workout is running. Otherwise it's not used at all.

25. NukeDuke macrumors newbie

I've already been credited with 10min of exercise towards my ring at 8:45am and I only put on my watch at 7:10. All i've done so far is get dressed, eat some toast and drive to work.

the exercise rings are a joke