Why is Apple Watch not recognising exercise anymore??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by debsagos, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

If you gain exercise credit too easily or it requires more than what you believe is necessary, its because your calibration data is probably inaccurate. Everything boils down to the calibration data of the device. That is what determines your workout heart rate range, your arm swing/stride and so on. So if you are easily getting minutes, then it believes your stride is too short and its getting messed up.

2. NukeDuke macrumors member

I don't know about that. I use my watch for multiple runs per week both indoor on a treadmill and outdoor and it is typically very accurate for distance.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It is probably the driving. The vibration and movement of the steering wheel can often look like 'exercise' activity to the accelerometer. This used to be a big problem back in wOS 1 but the algorithms should be better about identifying and filtering out driving vs exercise types movements.

Calibration is manly about learning your stride length x cadence per mile (kilo) to more accurately estimate speed, distance and caloric burn when walking or running without GPS. Since you run often outside yours is calibrated and it continues to dynamically calibrate each time you do an outdoor run (iPhone needed if a S0/S1).

4. crjohnson1981, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

crjohnson1981 macrumors newbie

I wholeheartedly disagree with the 3mph information you have been given. My partner is having the same problem with her watch. We go for a brisk walk together and I get credit she doesn't. I have been doing extensive testing trying to solve this one including wearing both watches myself. I went for a gentle walk and my watch gave me exercise credits whilst her watch didn't. It has something to do with her personal biometrics. It doesn't even award her for intense training at the gym.

What every apple have told you about 3mph min speed is rubbish. If a 100 year old wore one and walked at a slow pace their max heart rate would register as intense activity and be classed as exercise.

5. Mlrollin91, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You missed the entire point of my argument. The speed is only required, again only, if you are not running a workout. If you are not running a workout - prior to watchOS 4 on newer watches, heart rate was not monitored (and even now, its limited to specific workouts). Therefore, it could not account for an increase in heart rate. Its clearly bolded and underlined above. WatchOS 4.0 changed this.

You are responding to a 1yr old, now out of date post.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Seems a case of confirmation bias. Your logic also appears based on circular reasoning.

The point of exercising isn't to keep a minimum speed, but rather to actually exercise. So it would be stupid to enforce a minimum speed, especially seeing as some people are disabled or elderly and decrepid by age, and could not necessarily keep an arbitrarily chosen minimum speed.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

As mentioned in my previous post - this is a 1 year old and out-dated thread. Apple changed the mechanics in watchOS 4.0.

But to address your point - all you have to do is run a workout via the workout app. The minimum speed is for non-workouts only. That is outlined in great detail in this thread including references from Apples (old) support page - because this no longer applies.