Why is everyone in a rush to switch to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I ask this in all seriousness. I think the iPhone 4 was released in the middle of July 2010. That means if you wait five months you'll be able to pay the same price for a better phone or a lower price for the same phone. Apple has been pretty religious about the upgrade cycles for iPods, iPhones and it looks the same for iPads.

We obviously don't know what's going to be in the next iPhone, but at this point last year you would've missed out on the retina display, HD video camera, the still camera upgrade (is it now 5MP or 3.2?), the front-facing camera plus FaceTime, etc. etc. You also missed out on using the "Find My iPhone" feature for free and the gyroscope. OK, I have no idea if I even use the gyroscope, but you don't have it on the 3GS.

I just want the people about to rush out and buy a Verizon iPhone to remember this. I have had the "OH HOW STUPID!" feeling every time I bought a Mac because twice I missed a refresh by five weeks -- one of those was the damn Intel switch -- and the last one I missed saving about $150 thanks to Black Friday sales. I had no computer when I bough that last one, so it's not as bad, but I digress. If you can hold out for about five months, you'll get a better phone that won't be outdated as soon. The iPhone 3GS owners can't use some of the iOS 4 features and I don't know whether original iPhone owners can use it at all. So just be prepared before switching. I've got a while before my contract runs out and I know to be sure I know what I'm doing before committing to two years of whatever.

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

perhaps verizon has better coverage in their area?

3. stu00a macrumors member

Because, We Verizon customers waited long enough, we just want the any iPhone on Verizon NOW.
    You can always sell your used phone on eBay and switch to whatever the phones you want to purchase.

4. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

That and I seriously doubt many people outside of L.A., NY and S.F. are really going to switch from AT&T to Verizon. Unless they just have terrible coverage. and if they want to use an iPhone and have terrible coverage, then why WOULDN'T they switch?

But, there isn't much incentive other than that to switch. Nobody is going to save any money by switching.

So yeah it's not a new phone to some but, it's a new phone to Verizon customers.

7 months old- Big deal. Another ones coming out, then another, then another. You wait to upgrade till the next one, guess what? You're still stuck in a 2 year contract and then ANOTHER ONE is coming out 12 months after that.

If you want it now get it. Another one comes out that you have to have? Sell the old one and buy the new one. It's pretty simple. Or just wait forever.

5. gta50419 macrumors 6502

5 months is a long time to wait if you really want the iphone. but I don't know why everyone rushing to verizon when it was on att for months + verizon only have the $30 data unlimited plan & totally threw away the $15 option....verizon iphone doen't sound too good to me.
    I'll be one of the few to get a At&t iphone once my contract end next month.

hopefully apple will come up with something that if you bought an iphone 4 in 2011 you can get a free iphone 5 upgrade

6. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

For a lot of people it's the voice side of things.

They absolutely LOVE their iPhones, and wont get rid of them but they have poor voice quality in their area. Now they have an option for best of both worlds (as long as their not data/voice at same time dependent).

A friend of mine is a good example. He lives in NY, works in Manhattan and he is provided an iPhone for his job (he is the head of the Windows division of an IT firm). So he's always on his data constantly for work but has to have a second phone for voice services because he has constant dropped call issues in the area's he's in most often.

He rarely needs data/voice at the same time, though. So he's going to Verizon because he can get all the same apps, etc, and features of his ATT phone but like his voice phone (verizon) he wont have to deal with the dropped calls.

He could wait 5 months, but then he'd have to put up with 5 months more of a second phone.

7. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Verizon has a stronger network in more places. At&T is known for dropped calls everywhere. I'm only with AT&T because their data network is great here and very fast.... perfect for Netflix streaming, although voice SUCKS.

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

The nearest AT&T 3G coverage from me is about 2 hours away but I have robust Verizon signal all around me.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I actually don't think that many At&t people are in a rush. But I know a hell of a lot of Verizon folk that want an iPhone. I could only think of a couple of reasons that someone would eat the ETF and make the switch:
    1. Better coverage for their area with Verizon / At&t dropped calls
    2. Unlimited data still offered (since new iPhone owners have 2gb limit on At&t)

Other than that I'd say both networks are rock solid and there are a reason they both have over 90 million subscribers! They both are that damn good ;)

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You say everyone like you know this is exactly what everyone is doing. Just because Verizon is getting the iPhone doesn't mean everyone is automatically gonna switch. I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T and have really good service and I for one am not swithching. AT&T family plan with rollover minutes and simultaneous voice and data with good service is all I need.

11. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Even though a new iPhone is being released in June, I don't know if it is for both carriers, or for just At&t.

With that said, I don't mind having an iPhone 4 next month. This way, I will have a great phone, and will see how the refresh cycle is for Verizon iPhones (Every Feb?).

Besides, I've had a piece of **** Samsung Glyde for almost 2 years (it will be 2 this April). The touch screen sucks, its a stupid horrible phone. I would love to have a fully functional phone next month, and know that it will do its job for 2 years without giving my problems.

I still have the first iPhone I purchased in 2007, I use it as an ipod now. The touch screen still works, the only thing wrong is that the WiFi doesn't connect, and 1 speaker is blown out. Other than that, it is still responsive and works.

12. cheeseblock macrumors member

It will probably be longer than 5 more months

There is no guarantee, only rumor, that verizon will have the iPhone 5 in july. Some people say that it'll be a gsm & cdma model, but nobody can be sure until Apple says.

So, not buying the verizon iphone now isn't necessarily going to be regretted. The iPhone 5 for verizon for all we know could come out next february!

And besides, 4GLTE in many areas will not be available until 2013 anyway, so buy now, and then in 2 years you'll be ready for a sweet LTE iPhone.

And this will be my first iPhone (always been on verizon). I don't think I'd have the patience with my current P.O.S. phone to wait even just 5 months

13. shadrap macrumors 6502

I had the iPhone 4, it was the perfect phone for me, but AT&T sucked. I switched to Sprint. Now that it is coming to Verizon, I will have the best phone on the best network.

As far as waiting for iPhone 5, we don't know for sure that Verizon will be on the same release schedule. All we can do is speculate. I am speculating that Verizon won't get another iPhone until June of 2012. If I am wrong I will just pay for the next one.

14. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

It is not everyone. It is just a bunch of vocal Verizon fanboys.

There are some legitimate forum members that will switch due to better coverage in their area. But if you check the posting history of most of the switchers you will see the mayority is just trolling.

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I seriously believe that there are close to as many Verizon customers with bad coverage. I'll say AT&T might have more but I believe not much more.

16. bergmef macrumors 6502a

As opposed to the ATT fanboys. Works both ways.

Coverage in my case.

17. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

If you live in Montana, you want one because we do not have ATT here, so while the rest of the USA was able to get an IPhone right when they were introduced on ATT, we were not. Verizon is king here, and it is finally nice to be able to have the coolest phone on the planet.

18. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Iphone4 actually came out first half of June 2010.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That would be a foolish move on apple's part. The rumors of apple using a dual band Qualcomm chip have been bantered around for a while. Just releasing the iPhone 5 to ATT makes little business sense. There are people not jumping on the iPhone 4 with vzw just because a new iPhone will be released in June.

20. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

All iPhones have only 1 speaker that works.

21. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

For me it's all about the service. We get absolutely terrible AT&T service. You can not make or receive a cell phone call on my iPhone in or around our house. Calls drop within 30 seconds of answering the phone. I have a microcell unit but it doesn't seem to help much at all. You can drive around my area and calls drop all the time. We have missed several very important phone calls because of this. So that's why we're changing to Verizon. My brother has Verizon and lives close to us and he has no problems what so ever.

22. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I will be extremely surprised if Apple releases an IPHone 5 for VZ in the July update. I would suspect an I-5 for ATT in July, and then a device that will work on both ATT and VZ to come out in July of 2012. I suspect that the VZ IPhone that is coming out now will be the VZ phone for the next year and a half.

23. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

The general consensus amongst the public is that Verizon has far better voice coverage than AT&T.

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

All iPhones only have one speaker. The other side is a microphone.

Where have I heard that before? :confused:

25. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

The list of reasons goes on and on for me. Although I'm already a current Verizon customer, and not switching. One major reason that I've recently been focusing on is the fact that the unlimited data plans being offered by Verizon for the iPhone come along with the fine print reading "for a limited time only." This makes me think that it's very possible that Verizon will be switching to tiered data pricing without the unlimited option once the next iteration is released on their network (whenever that ends up being. Again, as others have said, though it seems likely that there will be some update this summer, it is not at all guaranteed).

So why wouldn't I want to jump on the iPhone 4 now? I've been waiting for an iPhone on Verizon ever since 2007, and it's finally here. Sure, 5 months sounds like a short amount of time to wait, but in reality it'll go by very slowly if you're constantly waiting for the possible summer update. And if summer comes and goes leaving us with a slightly updated iPhone, I'd be furious that I didn't just get the 4 now, knowing that I would have been enjoying it for months already. On the other hand, if the update is just too tempting, or includes an incredible new feature set, it's not a very hard thing to do to sell the 4 and pay retail for the new generation.