Why is it 500 posts for avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halVORTEX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
alaska REPRESENT
im just curious thats all is it a space thing? becuase i probably wont post that often and it seems like it would take a long time for me to achieve that rank

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
All in the FAQ. Basically it's to allow established users to be easily recognized among other forum users :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
personally i think it should be changed to being active for a year. that way you dont get spammers.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
how would you define active. Would that be some who has most days for a year, or Someone who has Lurked for a year, but never posted?

It took me about 2 years to get 500 posts, I view MR most days but don't have the time to post every day, I feel I have earned my Avatar.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Hector said:
personally i think it should be changed to being active for a year. that way you dont get spammers.
I agree. I can't tell you how many monosyllabic, off-topic, etc. posts I've seen.

I don't know that 500 posts should be the criteria vs. time on the site. I'd rather it be 2 years or 3 years to get an avatar than 500 posts.

:eek:

Not that it's my site, to begin with, but I've posted serious messages to this site, only to have people respond with nonsense. The only motive I can ascertain is to bump their post count.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
But how would you define "active". Someone who post for a minimum of one year and has X amount of post? It could sorta work I guess. But there would have to be more to the criteria that just post count such as, you have to be a member for at least 1 year AND have X amount of post to qualify for an avatar. So someone who makes 500 posts (or whatever the minimum number is) in 6 months is not eligible for an avatar until their first one year anniversary here. And same for being here for 2 years (or whatever the minimum time would be) but only having 100 posts (or under the minimum amount) would not qualify for an avatar.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
mac_2005 said:
Not that it's my site, to begin with, but I've posted serious messages to this site, only to have people respond with nonsense. The only motive I can ascertain is to bump their post count.
Or just because they are bored and want to respond nonsense? Happens at my site all the time that they are bored and just post BS all over. Not for post count at all.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
eva01 said:
Or just because they are bored and want to respond nonsense? Happens at my site all the time that they are bored and just post BS all over. Not for post count at all.
That's really my point. Whether the motivation is boredom or to boost the post count, the result is the same.

Post count shouldn't necessarily equate with "value add."

BTW -- I'm not bored, and my post count is so far below 500 that this post won't make a difference. :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Getting to 500 posts is not too difficult. I'm a testament to that. Just keep at it, you'll get your coveted avatar soon enough.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
As someone who just got my avatar a day or two ago, I like the system :D

I think people that post nonsense just to up their post count need to get a life. Having a picture by your name is that big of a thrill?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
mad jew said:
Depends on the 'tar. That's awesome Heb1228. :D

Congratulations.
Thanks man, you like the Mr. T? haha.

I thought of another reason... usually if you get Mac advice from somebody seeing they have an avatar gives them a little more credibility, for me anyways. It makes it easy to quickly identify the people who probably know what they are talking about, IMHO.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Lacero said:
Getting to 500 posts is not too difficult. I'm a testament to that. Just keep at it, you'll get your coveted avatar soon enough.
Isn't that the truth.

Just remember that they need to be useful posts, not fluff as some other people have done occasionally. Spam will be deleted.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
mad jew said:
Very true to an extent. :)
Yes. When I was new here, I often put more value into posts made by people with 'tars...

Of course, that doesn't mean that someone without a tar doesn't know what s/he's talking about. There's plenty of 'tar-less posters here that make great posts, and who really know their stuff.

I recognize many 'tar-less posters by their nick, since I usually find their posts interesting...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
<<< Similarly, some people with 'tars seem to never know what they're talking about. :(
Stop being so modest.
mad jew, you are full of great advice (regardless if it pertains to Macs or not)! :)

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
If you contribute to Macrumors (pay the $25, or however much it is), do you bypass the "500 posts minimum" for an avatar? (Can you get an avatar before 500 posts by contributing)

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
Maybe it should be a word count, say 10,000 words. That way the spammers would have to work even harder & those with something to say would get there quicker. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
thomasp said:
If you contribute to Macrumors (pay the $25, or however much it is), do you bypass the "500 posts minimum" for an avatar? (Can you get an avatar before 500 posts by contributing)
No.

Does an avatar mean that much to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.