Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412996776.600437.jpg

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Yeah, I've got a 4s still that I can use to compare. I know the photos didn't look like this. Better photos is one of the top reasons I upgraded. All the reviews make the camera seem like the best ever. I don't know why I don't see the same results. :(

EDIT: Plus, I thought this phone had pretty much the best autofocus to date?

photogate?

Felix Martinez

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I've noticed this "tweaked" compression and noise reduction/enhancement since the first few pictures I took with the iPhone 6.

It is absolutely horrible.

I had to carry around my iPhone 5 to grab decent pics at a recent family event.

I believe this is wholly software related and either an iOS update or 3rd party app will resolve this.

I can't wait. This has been an unexpected disappointment.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
here's some pictures i took after work at my apartment. I too see the 'monet' effect on my pictures. disappointed. the 3rd photo where the focus point is the grass and it's still blurry. my truck is the white F150 in the picture and shows how bad the processing is.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 152
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Here's another example.

For Objectivity's sake: I took a picture on my iPad 3 and iPhone 6 of the same object. Both cameras were focused on the same image and the iPhone 6 did a much better job than the iPad 3 (expected). However, the images posted were the same image (a hand drawing) in the background zoomed as much as possible.

The iPhone 6 takes good pictures of the subject usually, but I also care about the entire image. As for some of the comments here. I am not a photographer and I don't expect "stunning" images from a phone, the space requirement just isn't there. HOWEVER, that shouldn't mean we dismiss the entire subject. As technology progresses we should be able to get increasingly better images.

The iPad (5MP) is the left and the iPhone 6 on the right. The iPad was so much clearer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 11.36.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 11.36.46 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 161

paulking

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Some of the time, the Mac rumors uploads don't show the photos well unfortunately.
I've uploaded where it is very true to what's on my roll and other times where it's not.

It's not my intention to overstate the issue.
Just want to accurately show what I see.

I'm sure others want to do likewise.
I don't use an app to create a link to the photo which
which others do.

As for whether those sample photos on 6+ in the store are taken with an actual 6+, I imagine they are. After all, they would want to show what the device can do.
What a scandal and embarrassment they would face if they showed photos on their store display devices taken with some other, more expensive, professional camera!
These are 6+ photos for sure.

I've posted the issue on the Apple feedback site. Search it (there are links to it in this thread) and post your concern.
Apple will fix it at some point.

paulking

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Has this thread become a "sticky" thread on the Rumors boards?
Seems a lot of people are finding it. It's up to 13 pages at this point.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What do you mean cropped?

Well, I don't know what to make of them. They aren't smudged, but pixelated as if the image was downgraded during upload.

Here is a quick screenshot of your image from my Retina Mac. Look at the branch. It should be smudged, not jagged.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 11.59.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 11.59.38 PM.png
    904.2 KB · Views: 131

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If you look the picture of my rabbit from before (last post on page 12). Compare it to this older one from my 4S.

Look how you can make out the fur better.

EDIT: I linked to the iPhone 6 image here.

iPhone 6
attachment.php

iPhone 4S
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 12.03.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 12.03.01 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Ok ready for this?
I'm in an Apple store in SF.

I'm about to upload two photos from a display model of the 6+
I emailed them to myself.
Let's be clear - These are stock shots that Apple loaded on the device to show off the quality of the camera. They represent Apple's "best foot forward" so to speak.
To impress customers.

Look at the one with two people in a desert or canyon.
Enlarge their faces, the objects in background, the canyon walls.
Can you believe this?
Totally painted.

Enlarge the other faces in the second shot.
Even their show off photos have the painted look!
Side note - I always have problems with uploads to these threads. Any advice?

But that's advertising the front camera. Coming from a front camera that is awesome.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
If I'm doing anything wrong in these pics, I'm totally clueless..... There is not much in the way of on board adjustments that can be made with this camera....I know you can long press on the screen that will activate AE/AF lock...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If I'm doing anything wrong in these pics, I'm totally clueless..... There is not much in the way of on board adjustments that can be made with this camera....I know you can long press on the screen that will activate AE/AF lock...

No, it isn't you're mistake as far as I can tell.

Something happened in the upload that degraded the image quality. You're images appear as thumbnails that got blown up vs the actual images from the device.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
No, it isn't you're mistake as far as I can tell.

Something happened in the upload that degraded the image quality. You're images appear as thumbnails that got blown up vs the actual images from the device.

Thanks Traverse....Bottom line......What can be done on Apple's behalf software wise to correct this???

----------

It's only a 480 x 640 photo. Of course it's not sharp.

What size should it be? And how do I increase the size?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.