Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I am using the apple drivers (nvidia cuda drivers installed though) with my 780gtx. I am powering it with 2 x 6 pin and I got the 780gtx from MacVidCards:)

edit

flowrider has more cores as well as probably more ram than I do.

TheHerdForever

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Right on both counts.

Lou

Bump!! I just got a Titan from him a few days ago. Waiting for my 6 to 8 pin cable to come in ..... and I am on my way. I am going to test the CRAP out of this card and I will make sure I post my findings.

Frank

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
here is my cuda-z

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 12.06.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 12.06.44 PM.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 12.06.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 12.06.56 PM.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 12.07.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 12.07.08 PM.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 76

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Bump!! I just got a Titan from him a few days ago. Waiting for my 6 to 8 pin cable to come in ..... and I am on my way. I am going to test the CRAP out of this card and I will make sure I post my findings.

Frank

i was sooooo tempted to get a titan but I did not want to rig a psu in my optical bay cuz i have an ssd there:(

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
If we go strictly by Cuda-Z scores, Acceleroto's card is running fine. As a matter of fact, a tad faster than jetjaguar's. I'm assuming jetjaguar has other processes running when he does these benchmarks because he and Acceleroto has GTX 780s that are clocked exactly the same. This combined with flowrider's card being overclocked could explain the Heaven scores.

Since Acceleroto's Cuda-Z and Furmark numbers align with other GTX 780s, there's no reason to assume it is the culprit for low FPS in his games. That leaves only one other major factor that could be the cause of the low FPS, the CPU...

We have also successfully proven that CPU does not matter when it comes to Cuda utilization.

Last edited:

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
If we go strictly by Cuda-Z scores, Acceleroto's card is running fine. As a matter of fact, a tad faster than jetjaguar's. I'm assuming jetjaguar has other processes running when he does these benchmarks because he and Acceleroto has GTX 780s that are clocked exactly the same. This combined with flowrider's card being overclocked could explain the Heaven scores.

Since Acceleroto's Cuda-Z and Furmark numbers align with other GTX 780s, there's no reason to assume it is the culprit for low FPS in his games. That leaves only one other major factor that could be the cause of the low FPS, the CPU...

wasnt really doing anything else .. maybe had safari open

TheHerdForever

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
i was sooooo tempted to get a titan but I did not want to rig a psu in my optical bay cuz i have an ssd there:(

Jet,

You really don't need an external PSU. Just get a 6 to 8 pin cable and use your internal PSU. I should say I have a 5,1 MP. Bare Feats ran it without a external PSU, and from what he stated, it worked just fine.

Frank

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Is that picture right?

Only 4 wires into an 8 pin plug?

Can't be right, it shows them going into a 6 pin.

Please take a pic of the actual plug you are using.
Sorry, I'm away from my office with that computer today. I'll post a photo tonight. The Amazon link I posted earlier was for a 6-pin adapter, not the 8 pin. For the 8 pin, I'm using the supplied adapter that converts 2x 6-pin power plugs to one 8-pin.

Last night I reinstalled all the web drivers I could find. I did a Heaven benchmark on Ultra/8xAA/1920x1080 and got a 1500+ score -- way better than my 600 from before. I'll run some more tests tonight to see if anything else changed. Hmmmm.

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Cool! I guess your problems are solved.
I sure hope so. I was able to get Guild Wars to play at 60fps by turning the reflections off & setting things to native/medium. That's the fastest I've seen GW2 on my machine.

I'm holding off on installing Mavericks because I'm right in the middle of developing a new game. Once a few more people work out any Mavericks/Unity hiccups, I'll migrate upgrade to get OpenCL working too.

More tonight. Thanks!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

Frank

Frank, if all you are waiting for is an.adapter, wait no more.

Card is modded not to need one and in most cases the 6 to 8 adapters actually use FEWER lines to trick the sense pins.

In any case, the adapters can't provide more power unless you use the drive bays

----------

Sorry, I'm away from my office with that computer today. I'll post a photo tonight. The Amazon link I posted earlier was for a 6-pin adapter, not the 8 pin. For the 8 pin, I'm using the supplied adapter that converts 2x 6-pin power plugs to one 8-

Ok , I am still trying to get same answer over 3 or 4 posts now.

This is the exact adapter I was warning about. The side that works alone only has 2 ground wires, REDUCING the amount of current that is available.

Please explain if you are using it on one 6 pin line and the other end isn't connected.

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Ok , I am still trying to get same answer over 3 or 4 posts now.

This is the exact adapter I was warning about. The side that works alone only has 2 ground wires, REDUCING the amount of current that is available.

Please explain if you are using it on one 6 pin line and the other end isn't connected.
Sorry, I thought I'd answered your question with my previous replies -- I definitely appreciate your help & I'm trying to get the right info posted. I'm probably missing exactly what you're looking for. I'll take some pictures tonight of all the adapters I'm using and post them. That should get all the info anyone is interested in, right? If I'm using an incorrect power adapter, I definitely want to fix that.

Thanks for all the help,

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
twin 2.4's, 12GB ram and a 680 GTX using nvidia web driver.

43.1 FPS, score 1087
1920x1080 (windowed) and ultra settings

think somethings not working...

but the reason why you are getting no increase in some games is pretty simple - they are not bottlenecked by your GPU...

Nox

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Here are photos of the 2xSATA to 6-pin adapter.

I'm using a 6-pin extension to reach from this adapter to the card.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 54

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Here are photos of the 2x6-pin to 8-pin adapter.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    986.3 KB · Views: 88

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
For comparison here is a Palit GTX770 4Gb Jetstream in an i7 Hackintosh, the 8xAA really hits it hard.
I would turn it down in games if you are struggling:

Attachments

• Heaven.jpg
    Heaven.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Heaven 8x.jpg
    Heaven 8x.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Are you able to run these programs in Windows/Bootcamp to see if the same performance discrepancy exists? Likely is a power-related issue as others have pointed out, but it would be a good thing to rule out at least.

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry, but I don't have windows installed on this machine & really don't want to install it. I have a standalone Windows machine for when I need one.

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Alright, I just did some more Heaven benchmarks and they're looking good now. I did some more Guild Wars 2 tests and can get it to run at 50-60fps with reflections off & medium settings. Borderlands 2 runs at 30fps when there's lots going on, but typically 45-60fps when just cruising around. That's with FXAA on, but most other things set near the medium/normal settings.

I still don't understand why it was running slower before. I always check to make sure I didn't have anything else running (well, anything big -- I don't clean out system-level things), so I don't expect any differences there. Who knows though. Maybe loose power somewhere?

So, overall, I'm definitely happy with those results. I still want to understand what was going on. If anyone sees any power issues and would like to shed some light, I'm all ears.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 9.51.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 9.51.59 PM.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 9.46.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 9.46.47 PM.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 52

TheHerdForever

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
MacVC,

Now I am COMPLETELY lost. I thought I needed 2 cables! A 6-to-6 pin cable AND 6-to-8 pin cable? If not, can you please be specific and let me know what I need to run the Titan in my 5,1 MP? I want to do EXACTLY what Bare Feats did. However, my Titan is still in the box!! :(

Frank

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I just came here to say that the Mac version of GW2 is currently still in beta and has several major issues from my experience. I cannot even go into major cities without the game totally crashing to the desktop, and this is reported by many other people on the forums. Wild, seemingly random framerate dips are also common for me. I've resorted to playing GW2 in Windows via Bootcamp until they can fix all the problems with the Mac version. Keep in mind that the Mac client is not a native application, but an emulated version of the Windows client, which may explain a lot of the bugs.

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah, that's a good point about GW2. I didn't know it was running inside an emulator wrapper though. Yuck. No telling what causes issues with it then. Even on the Windows side, lots of people complain about framerate in GW2.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
MacVC,

Now I am COMPLETELY lost. I thought I needed 2 cables! A 6-to-6 pin cable AND 6-to-8 pin cable? If not, can you please be specific and let me know what I need to run the Titan in my 5,1 MP? I want to do EXACTLY what Bare Feats did. However, my Titan is still in the box!! :(

Frank

I can't speak for exactly what he did but the cards he got were modded same as yours.

Using an 8 pin adapter will in most cases disproportionately place load on 2 of the grounds. My mod equalizes load over the 3 available pins.

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I can't speak for exactly what he did but the cards he got were modded same as yours.

Using an 8 pin adapter will in most cases disproportionately place load on 2 of the grounds. My mod equalizes load over the 3 available pins.

MacVidCards, can you please reply to my pm. ive sent you 4 over the last two days, but i still have not heard from you!!!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Note on 6 to 8 adapters

Here is what people using adapters need to think about. FOLLOW THE WIRES. If only 2 wires are actually being used to power 4 pins, you have actually INCREASED THE LOAD on the traces and left one totally idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.