Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikky2426

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I'm seriously considering buying iPad Pro 12.9 but I'm not sure if I should with this issue with the screen.

This looks more like a screen hardware issue than a software issue which can be resolved in future. Funny thing is no one is talking about it.

Please have a look at the video below:

vikky2426

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
What "issue" ? If you are referring to the blooming, there's a thread on it " 2019 screen shadow"
yes the blooming issue. It looks very distracting. Can you share the link of the thread? Has apple made any comment on this issue ? will they fix it?

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
There’s 2 things I think

there is a very slight blooming that is “Normal “ which you can see in this YouTube Video

but I had this issue below in the screen when reading text or writing notes in dark mode in a dark room at night. Even a dot from the pencil would produce a large grey square.

i got that fixed by restarting the iPad (on/off) after setup and updating to 14.5.1

Attachments

• E062ED92-F015-4C8C-9F86-736E0F0576A5.jpeg
    E062ED92-F015-4C8C-9F86-736E0F0576A5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 244

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
There’s 2 things I think

there is a very slight blooming that is “Normal “ which you can see in this YouTube Video

but I had this issue below in the screen when reading text or writing notes in dark mode in a dark room at night. Even a dot from the pencil would produce a large grey square.

i got that fixed by restarting the iPad (on/off) after setup and updating to 14.5.1
I clicked the link you‘re refering to thinking it was a video showing examples of the blooming issues on the new 12.9inch Pro. And I honestly waiting Waaaaaaay too long for the intro to finish before realising it was a year Old test video. ????

Reactions: Isengardtom

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
There’s 2 things I think

That video is kinda clickbait, even he said it’s not that big of a issue and viewing the screen in person it doesn’t even look like that , it’s only that bad when taking a video or photo of the screen.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Because it's not really an issue. Most of the pictures posted do not represent real life viewing and even TVs costing thousands of dollars will exhibit some blooming in a dark room - it's simply the nature of screen technology that requires backlighting. It can probably be improved by tweaking the LD algorithm but it will never completely go away.

The entire screen 'blooms' in a dark room on previous generation Pros and no one seemed to complain about that either.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Ther are 2 issues people are taking about
1) the shadow around the border - it’s uniform and personally id]t doesn’t look that bad but someone might not want it
2) blooming - white text etc on dark background glowing effect. For me I don’t see it on my unit or I never Ed used something where it showed it to make me care about it. I have used dark mode on web pages etc and I don’t see it. But again it might be worse on some screens or other people it might be a bigger concern

for me the colors are amazing etc and it’s doesn’t mother me as much

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Half the threads on this forum are either about the blooming issue, or include conversations about the blooming issue. Almost every review for the 12.9” mention the blooming issue. Including the extremely widely circulated; viewed by millions of people video that you yourself linked in your OP.

This is like when people share some story on Facebook and say “WHY ISN’T THE MEDIA TALKING ABOUT THIS?” Where a quick Google search reveals that every major news outlet around the world has been covering the story for three days.

Reactions: MrEcted

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
That isn’t blooming, for it to be blooming the local dimming has to be engaged. That is how the screen looks without local dimming on. TVs with local dimming behave the same way, the local dimming isn’t engaged with menus/overlays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.