Why is redesign so strongly suggested?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Voley, May 13, 2016.

1. Voley macrumors regular

Imagine they just up the processors, and that's it?

Why would they change design?

We see rumors and chasis for iPhone 7, rumors for iPhone after 7, and completely nothing about Macbook Pro that should release in a month? How does this work?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Because people are bored or the current design and think they know Apple would do it. Besides slight variations of the Macbook.... It largely has been the same for a long time now. I don't see them doing it any time soon either.

3. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

I don't see them doing anything more than a minor spec bump.

Not so much because it's not due for a redesign. Nor because a redesign isn't possible. But mainly because Applr has essentially been phoning it in since the last redesign on all fronts.

4. PTLove macrumors 6502

Well a few reasons. One, they could have updated the 13" at the March Event if it was just a spec bump, the 13" CPU has been available.

Two, and more importantly I think, is they dont really have a design lead anymore. PC Manufacturers have upped their quality and design quite a bit, and Apple offers niether the smallest, lightest, thinnest, nor (in some opinions) best looking laptops anymore. Just seems like a prime time for a new update if they are going to do it.

5. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

The last two redesigns were in 2008 and 2012, so a period of four years between them. Also, the current design has been around for four years, so it's time for one.

6. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

And iPads were refreshed yearly, yet here we are still with the iPad Air 2 as standard beneath the pro line.

iPod touches were formerly a yearly upgrade, then it stretched to multiple years.

iPhones have had a tick-tock upgrade cycle for years, yet the iPhone 7 is shaping up to be just a 6SS.

Apple hasn't exactly been sticking to patterns all that well lately, and they've been pretty disappointing when it comes to innovation. Hence why I don't expect much.

7. content macrumors member

content

8. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

People put so much hope behind suggestions for a redesign because they really hope that we get one, because they feel like Apple is falling behind in design, and because they think we are on the cusp of getting the best looking, best notebook computer ever from Apple...something that will be completely different and completely new.

Sometimes I'm not sure what people want Apple to do, though. When it comes to the MacBook Pro, there is only so much they can do these days, isn't there? As they say, there are only so many ways to skin a cat. What kind of things can Apple do? No matter what they decide to do with the Apple logo (mirrored vs illuminated) or the keyboard, or the ports, etc. it's still going to be a clamshell notebook. There is nothing particularly interesting or innovative about a traditional notebook computer anymore.

The MacBook Air was innovative, but that was because it's thinner and lighter and jettisoned legacy technology that was fading away. But, lots of people would argue that Apple's computers (and other manufacturers PC's as well) are thin and light enough, in fact, they might be getting too thin and light. And there is really no more legacy stuff to do away with in favor of a far more modern concept.

A significant number of people on this forum, for some reason, are having a gigantic circle jerk over Dell's XPS line and are holding it up as a prime example of great design and fantastic innovation. Well okay, if it's what you like, then great! But it's nothing really special in the grand scheme of things. What's innovative about it? For starters, because of the InfinityEdge display, the bezels and their contents are all kinds of screwed up. The side and top bezels are super thin, but the bottom bezel is super chunky because, among other things, it has to hold the webcam. A webcam in the bottom of the display? Really? Design isn't just how it looks, it's how it works. And putting in a NostrilCam is a horrible design choice. Apple is always lambasted for even the most minute form over function design choices, so why not Dell? Many seem to want an InfinityEdge display, but they don't take into consideration the downsides. Apple is definitely not going to do this, not only because it's an extremely bad design choice, but because they won't be able to get away with it unlike Dell (and they definitely shouldn't be able to!).

There is also the HP Spectre that people went gaga over about a month ago, but that's not a MacBook Pro level machine and is way too blingy for Apple anyways. There are also products like the Surface Book, but Apple isn't going to go that route as far as we know.

The MacBook Pro is definitely going to remain a traditional, non-hybrid notebook. So, what kind of mind blowing innovation are people expecting here with regards to a redesign? Sometimes I don't think people live in reality. I don't think there is much they can do at this point besides adding some of the key characteristics of the MacBook like the all aluminum hinge, for instance, or maybe a far nicer display that might support TrueTone. There is not going to be a mind blowing next-gen MacBook Pro. I'd argue that the design will be refreshed for sure, but it's not going to meet a lot of people's expectations, because they think we are going to be treated to this mind blowingly awesome computer handed down to us from the gods.

Just because other manufacturers have finally gotten off their behinds and stepped it up in regards to design; just because they've started offering machines that look nicer than the bland uninspiring things they were traditionally known for, doesn't mean that Apple is suddenly phoning it home. Please note that I only disagree with the phoning it home comments with respect to the MacBook Pro design, not other aspects. Because how they are treating the Mac Pro is a shame, and the Mac itself needs attention pronto.

The reason that the iPod Touches aren't updated much anymore is because few people buy them and they don't really make much sense anymore. The iPhone 6SS seems like it might only because they are working towards a complete redesign and it won't be ready this September, not because Apple doesn't care anymore.

9. scoobysnax macrumors newbie

10. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

MBPs don't need a redesign. You guys are insane. It's only been 4 years since the thin-enough retina models were unveiled. Buy a POS Windows laptop if you're really "bored" with the design of your laptop. Oh wait, Apple's laptops are already sexy as hell and no other line of computers even comes close.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Lol the Apple fanboy is strong in this post .....

12. Voley thread starter macrumors regular

U wot m8?
    iPad 4 is standard beneath an Air line.
    Doesnt matter what it is called, pro 9 inches is latest ipad.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Design is almost perfect for me. Just need SIRI, and Touch ID, smaller bezel with the updated CPU/GPU and a stronger battery. ;) I'll be happy

14. shoehornhands macrumors regular

I don't think the MBP needs a design change at all. Yeah, the current design has been around for quite some time, but that's because it's a high quality, sleek / minimalistic design that doesn't age much / doesn't need to change.

Quite honestly, given the direction Apple has been heading in, I have a strong feeling that a design change will leave us yearning for the old (current) design anyway (e.g. it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them move from the current, aluminum design, to a significantly cheaper, plastic design, as most manufacturers use).

I say keep the current design, and just update the comically outdated hardware already.

15. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind the same chassis, but the display needs some type of update, addition of a usb-c port and Touch ID.

16. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Pro line is very clearly separate from the Air and Mini. The "standard" iPads didn't get updated in favor of pushing the pro models.

17. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, we may not see a complete overhaul in terms of a redesign, but we will see some changes:

1) Thinness - Apple and thinness go hand in hand, so I can see the rMBP getting thinner, albeit even a little.

2) Keyboard - With the new magic keyboard, this type of keyboard will be implemented across the MacBook Pro line; the rMB keyboard is basically the same, just with less travel.

3) Weight - Even if we don't see a complete design, Apple is lagging behind weight wise. We have comparable laptops such as the Dell XPS 13/Razer Blade Stealh/HP 13 laptop weighing around 1.2/1.3KG, whilst the 13 rMBP weights nearly 1.6KG. I can therefore see the 'redesign' being as light as the MBA at around 1.35KG.

If these things are all implemented, the rMBP will basically become the 'MBA Retina', leaving the rMB as the ultralight portable for those who need more functionality than a tablet, the MBA as the cheaper entry-level Mac aimed at schools, business etc, and the rMBP for professional but still portable work.

18. jerryk macrumors 68020

I can't imagine Apple switching to plastic on their top of the line laptops. Other manufactures have gone to aluminum alloy to make their top end models look more expensive.

19. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Yeah, picked up the original rMBP in 2012, so it'll officially have been 4 years by the time WWDC rolls around. I think the update is so strongly suggested because the demand is strong among users on this forum and it does seem logical for Apple to release an update. The 15 inch models have older processors, several-gens behind, which is especially frustrating when you're dropping 2k+ on a machine.

The Skylake platform brings to the table significant GPU and battery-efficiency improvements. Both of these things directly impact Apple's ability to create a thinner, pro-spec machine. I personally believe we will see updated MBPs at WWDC.

Also, with the slight 13" Macbook Air 13 'update' that only standardized 8GB RAM, I believe Apple was priming their product line. At WWDC, I fully expect Apple to A) drop the 11'' MBA from their lineup, B) Keep the current MBA to replace the 13'' cMBP they're still selling and hold down the entry-level Macbook spot, and C) Focusing their chip upgrades for notebooks from here going forward only on the MBP and MB lines. Whether or not we'll see different screen sizes remains to be seen, but I think it's safe to assume the MBP machines will have at least 2 different selections and it's possible we could see a larger model (14" ?) of the rMB in the future as well. I think the Air is dead however; it's a naming-scheme that no longer makes a lot of sense due to the iPad Air models and I don't think there's a place in the lineup for a truly new 3rd model. The Air will only live on in what will be known as the cMBA.

With the decreased importance of computers in general for Apple, I think Apple is definitely interested in simplifying their product lineup. I still think they recognize the importance of the Mac in their ecosystem, so I fully expect them to update in a couple months with impressive machines. However, it's not an opinion any longer it's simply a fact that MacBooks are not the cash cow they once were and notebook sales in general have been trending downwards for a few years now. 2 machines with 2 screen size options on each seems to make a lot of sense.

20. nyoungman, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016

nyoungman macrumors newbie

nyoungman

Last year I upgraded from an 11" Air to a 12" Macbook (rMP). Apple fit a bigger display into a laptop of similar dimensions, and it weighs less too. I think people (including myself) expect to see similar improvements on the MacBook Pro line, whether larger screens in the same dimensions (perhaps 16:10 like the rMB) or smaller chassis' housing screens of the same size.

My vote would be for 16", DCI-P3 gamut, 4K+, anti-reflective improvements, and True Tone. :)

Others may see USB Type-C as a reason for a redesign -- the new universal port that is smaller than USB Type-A. But the Alpine Ridge chipset only supports two Thunderbolt 3 ports. It could be pretty confusing to have additional USB Type-C ports that aren't Thunderbolt enabled. Would Apple do that? Upgrading from Thunderbolt 2 to 3 is already going to require adapters for DisplayPort, much less adapters for everything else. A full compliment of ports makes sense for a professional laptop, including beefy ports like HDMI 2.0.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the new rMP design was enabled in part by the new Core M processors. They sip 5 watts instead of 15 watts like the Air and don't require a fan. The CPUs on the MacBook Pro still need the same amount of power and cooling as last year.

And as much as I like the tapered design of the Air and rMB, I would hate to see the MacBook Pro become thinner if it compromised the performance with throttling like the first 5K iMacs. Nor have I gotten use to the shallow tracking of the rMP keyboard. It works well enough, but it still feels like a compromise.

Besides the possibility of an improved screen, I'm most excited about the internals. If the high-end MBP includes the upcoming R9 M480 GPU (or R9 M480X as a CTO), that could be a significant improvement, much like the current generation iMac dGPU in a power envelope suitable for a laptop. Skylake brings faster DDR4 memory, hopefully more of it, and maybe we'll even see 2TB SSDs.

Those are the things worthy of the Pro name. If you think about it, the recent 9.7" iPad Pro has a better screen, better speakers, and better internals than the iPad Air 2. The dimensions are the same.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple outs a larger MacBook (non-Pro) as well.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I can't see any scenario where Apple moves to plastic. It'd be an absolutely massive mistake.
    If anything, PC manufactures are moving to aluminium from plastic as opposed to the other way around.

Anyway, in terms of a redesign: I think we'll get one, but it won't be dramatic. If they weren't being redesigned, I think we'd have seen at least the 13" being updated at the same time as the rMB.

I expect a slightly thinner and lighter chassis (possibly with a small taper), with TB3 ports combined with a removal of a few other ports (perhaps USB-A and HDMI), aluminium hinge, new keyboard and speakers and the four colour options from the rMB.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a reason car manufacturors redesign their cars every few years - people grow tired of the old design and will buy something else. MBPs design while wonderful in so many ways, is rather stale, and with shipments dropping 40% last quarter, I think its time that Apple stop resting on its laurels and start swinging for the fence.

Love it or hate it, Microsoft made some bold innovative moves with their SufaceBook laptop, HP made something that is eye catching with their HP Spectre. Even Dell has some really nice looking models with the Dell XPS laptop. If all that apple gives us is Rose Gold and a slightly thinner case, then I think people are going to be very disappointed.

23. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

The ignorance is strong in in this thread, lol.

24. Dave245 macrumors 601

People often expect far to much, people are also needy and demanding, but in this instance i think a redesigned Macbook Pro could be on the cards for WWDC, the reason being is Apple gave the Macbook a slight spect bum and also gave the Macbook Air 8GB of RAM as standard, if they only intended to give the Macbook Pro a spec bump surely they would of done so either at the March event or during the silent update that the Macbook and Macbook Air got, this would save Apple time from the WWDC keynote which often runs over 2 hours! I don't think it will be anything drastic or major, i think Apple will make the new Macbook Pro's thinner, lighter, faster processors, better graphics, faster SSD's and they may even use the design from the Macbook and also add colour options (Gold, silver, space grey, Rose gold).

25. scupking macrumors 6502a

I think the current design is almost perfect. Only thing I would change is shrink the bezels.