Why is the Galaxy S7's camera MUCH better than the 7 Plus ?????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 16, 2016.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

:mad:
    I thought the 7 Plus was going to have the best camera in it's class...
    I am extremely disappointed and the microphone quality is terrible.

The 6S to 7 isn't a big jump like I thought.
    Galaxy S8 will beat the iP8 before it even comes out in my opinion if apple keeps playing the greed game.

2. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

LOL@YOU!

4. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I have a S7. In terms of focusing speed and overall responsiveness, it totally blows away the iPhone 7. It's a breeze to freeze action with the S7. The lack of shutter lag is almost uncanny. I got my iPhone 7 today and this was the first thing I tested, focusing speed and shutter lag. Total disappointment. I can't comment on quality yet as I haven't checked the photos on the computer, but it also appears to lag behind the S7. I really expected Apple to at least match Samsung.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I tested my sister's 7 against my S7 edge.

The Edge still is a great deal better than iPhone in low light md has much better exposure.

I will say that the iPhone camera is starting to get better at scenes with dark areas. Still a long way to go.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Haven't played with a 7 plus yet but the 7 didn't drop my jaw in initial impressions, though I hoped it would since the camera is he only thing that truly had me intrigued. Wife got the upgrade and we took some sample and comparisons shots (to my 6s plus). I can't honestly say I saw much of a difference. Low light isnnahbe better but the links 920 is still the best phone (that I've gotten to use) at low light and that is ancient in terms of smartphone tech.

7. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Nice troll. iPhone 7 camera is truly stunning, DSLR in your pocket basically.

8. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

That doesn't mean the S7 isn't better in some cases.

9. iosuser, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

iosuser macrumors 6502a

Just tested my 7, 6s, and SE against the Galaxy S7. S7 still superior :( Look at how nicely saturated the color is with the GS7 at ISO800, against the iPhone 7 at ISO200.

The iPhone 7 *loves* to choose a very low shutter speed. I was at a restaurant in relatively bright light and it chose a 1/10s shutter at ISO100, instead of bumping the ISO.

GS7.JPG 7.JPG 6s.JPG SE.JPG

Edit: 100% crops below.
    GS7-100.JPG iP7-100.JPG

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You buy everything Apple tells you to, don't you? Competition is a good thing. Blind brand loyalty is not.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

If I wanted a Samsung I'd buy one. As for blind brand loyalty, tell that to all of the shills on this site defending the incendiary device known as the Note 7.

12. lancastor macrumors 6502a

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

So...return it and get your money back?

14. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Manually adjust the shutter speed/ISO and problem solved. Slight color adjustments (if needed) are 2s of work. iPhone usually catches more accurate tones than Galaxy S7. (usually meaning not 100% of time obviously), so I don't know what all the fuss is about. Sometimes iphone 7 will take a better picture, and sometimes S7 will.

15. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Yes I know that. I actually bought several camera apps from when I first got the iPhone 6s. But apps will not help it in faster focusing and prevent shutter lag. On our last trip, all action shots at a theme park were taken with the GS7 (yes I carried both my 6s and the GS7 with me). The 6s was just not able to focus and release the shutter quick enough, and from what I'm seeing, the iPhone 7 is no faster. Yes I could've worked around that by pre-focusing. The point is the GS7 did not require putzing around. I'm just disappointed that the 7, being nearly 6 months newer, can't match the GS7. I really didn't enjoy carrying two phones. I highly prefer iOS. The GS7 is just my backup phone that mostly sits at home.

16. mjjferreira macrumors member

It's a LITTLE bit better, not MUCH better.

17. ant the ninja macrumors regular

ant the ninja

18. KillaMac Suspended

19. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I deem that both of these phones will take adequate pictures of my dogs.

20. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Yes. But if your dog is active or you want to freeze action shots, the Samsung will have an easier time because it focuses and fires off shots much more quickly. The GS7 snaps into focus very much like a DSLR, no hunting. The iPhone 7 still has to hunt back and forth before locking focus.

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

iPhone 7 Plus has noticeably crisper pictures showing more detail than the s7. Also the colors on iPhone 7 Plus are truer to natural. I liked how they were able to compare the shots with the slider. 7 Plus also improvement over the 6s Plus. Thanks for the link. It's truly amazing what great pictures these tiny cameras are able to take.

22. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Generally, if my dogs have done/are doing something picture worthy, it's something stupid like get their head stuck in a trash can lid, and they aren't moving too fast. When they are on the move, I'm typically doing video anyway.

It's a point and shoot camera. I'm going to use it for point and shoot situations. Both are far more than adequate in that regard.

23. HEK Suspended

HEK

24. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

S7 is even more aggressive with noise reduction than 6(s)/7, which could end up costing you some details in your photos, especially in low light. You can easily adjust noise reduction later, after you take a picture with all these phones, so super noise reduction shouldn't really be desirable.

25. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

As far as shutter lag, are we talking the time from pressing to the time the picture is taken? Or the overall processing itself?

In the end we are talking less than a 1/4 second here or milliseconds. As long as the picture quality is better that's all I care about.

It is seemingly a common thing I am reading though that the iPhone 7 plus's camera is a bit slower than the 6s plus. Again though, I can deal with that if the end results are better. Also, if it bothers people that much Apple may fix it through the next iOS updates or maybe they did for a reason to begin with that is warranted.