• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i understand it was a silent release and not many people know about it. But i still would of thought they would be sold out after the news today from multiple places. Where the constraints they where talking about wrong?

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Why do people whine about lack of stock on release and then whine about there being too much stock the next?

Comment

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Because most of the world is connected to Apple news via MacRumors, which has been down. :D

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Why do people whine about lack of stock on release and then whine about there being too much stock the next?

because i bought an extra one for resale for christmas...

double thinking it now.

And please nobody tell me how it isn't moral blah blah blah...

Comment

FrozenInferno

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Silent release + Apple building up enough stock to feel comfortable launching the device = Availability.

I'm sure supplies will dwindle fairly quickly as word spreads. The rMini seems to be a highly anticipated device that a lot of people don't even realize is on sale yet.

Comment

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I agree, what a bad timing for the site to go belly up.

Yea, the whole silent launch off a rumor (that actually turned out to be true) combined with MR being down was hilariously bad timing. I was refreshing Twitter feeds to try and determine what was going on.

Comment

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
I sincerely wished apple denied returns to all these kids purchasing to resell.

Some people need the money and/or it can't hurt to capitalize on the impatient bunch who must have the latest sooner than later.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
A lot of it is the silent release and lack of any meaningful publicity. Also keep in mind that most models are backed up to 5-10 days so it wouldn't be too wild to think people are just holding fire for Black Friday.

But mostly, it's still an iPad and other than the iPad 2 I don't recall big sellouts. Even the base Air is down to $459 at Microcenter now, and also on BF at other stores. (Apple has still yet to announce iPad Air sales for the first weekend which says a lot about the general publics fervor to have the newest iPads ASAP). The big question is what happens to inventory after BF... does it dry up then or readily available. That's when we'll really know.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
A lot of it is the silent release and lack of any meaningful publicity. Also keep in mind that most models are backed up to 5-10 days so it wouldn't be too wild to think people are just holding fire for Black Friday.

But mostly, it's still an iPad and other than the iPad 2 I don't recall big sellouts. Even the base Air is down to $459 at Microcenter now, and also on BF at other stores. (Apple has still yet to announce iPad Air sales for the first weekend which says a lot about the general publics fervor to have the newest iPads ASAP). The big question is what happens to inventory after BF... does it dry up then or readily available. That's when we'll really know.

Apple was never going to announce iPad Air only sales. If we get anything from them it will be Air + mini. But my guess is we get nothing until the next quarterly earnings call.

Comment

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
iPads rarely have a mad rush, and the silent early release would damp that down even further. What does seem to commonly happen is that demand slowly curves upwards for a while. The same thing happened with the Air. On release day I was able to walk in and have my pick of any model I wanted. This week local stores selection is near zero and there isn't a cellular model to be found.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple was never going to announce iPad Air only sales. If we get anything from them it will be Air + mini. But my guess is we get nothing until the next quarterly earnings call.

I'll bet you if Apple had sold out if every single iPad launch weekend they would have issued a press release regarding sales so please don't say Apple was never going to announce. If it benefitted Apple they'd have said something. But from the already price slashing sales are probably on the average side right now, somewhere between OK & meh.

Comment

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Demand ramps up.

Like someone else said, stock was mostly plentiful on release days at Apple Stores. Now, with all the good press about the Air, everyone is buying and Apple's website is showing 5-7 days for the Air where it was recently "Ships in 24 hours."

Comment

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012

double thinking it now.

When you think about the taxes and fees involved if going the eBay route, it doesn't make much sense. No one is going to pay several hundred dollars over retail (where you'd need to be to make a decent profit) when they could just buy an Air with a bigger screen and more memory for probably cheaper.

Comment

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

double thinking it now.

So you were trying to scalp, thinking the stock would run out and now you're panicking because it's a little more evident that stocks are holding.

I won't tell you it's immoral. But you did get what you deserved. :)

Comment

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
How many people do you know that monitor boards like this?

And, how many people might just be the target market for the mini?

And, how many are not even looking at ipads/tablets this week anyway and are waiting for Black Friday or later?

Common sense they would not be sold out. Then again, maybe they are closer to sold out than we know?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.