Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Life isn't fair. Aside from supply, many kids won't get iPad minis for the holiday because parents can't afford $399 either. Some kids won't get much of anything. This happens every holiday with the most sought after items and some children won't get what every other kid in the country wants. Hopefully they will still have a nice holiday and won't be permanently scarred by this. I don't condone this practice but is just life and the way some people make a little extra money. As a collector of hard to find items, I can assure you that if supply is severely limited you won't be able to get the item even when it is offered at standard price - someone will beat you to it.
No different from paying $10,000 for a superbowl ticket or $1000 for a seat to a concert. If people are willing to pay for it then the market will always be there. I'll never forget trying to get a Cabbage Patch Doll for my daughter back in the late 70's (or was it early 80's?). That was the "iPhone of the 20th century." :p

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Are you serious? Every single electronic store price gouges? What happens when you search for something to buy? Different prices come up(some high some low) which one do you choose? Never mind I already know the answer....
You ever walk into best buy and buy a tv outright without somewhat negotiating a deal with them? Most electronic places do have huge markups on most things.

All I'm doing is the exact same thing. Superrrrr douchy give me a break ...

One example of a non-oil company: why was Best Buy charging $50 more for the 5S than the other retailers? Obviously to cover some kind of cost. Well in the OP's case you can say that the premium is to cover his efforts in finding the iPad, eating up the cost up front, meeting the buyer.
In your theory of gouging prices Best Buy is also a jackass yet they're a fully functional legitimate business.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I got a 32GB model from Best Buy but also ordered a 16GB model from Apple that's ready for pick up. I am very tempted to save the 2nd and sell on Ebay to some silly person that wants to overpay. :D

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Occam's razor.

Maybe it's just not as popular as people made it out to be.

This'll be hard for people here to swallow.:D

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
i understand it was a silent release and not many people know about it. But i still would of thought they would be sold out after the news today from multiple places. Where the constraints they where talking about wrong?

Constraints is relative to what they are trying to satisfy....they are trying to satisfy the world appetite for mini iPads. The rMini was always on everyones list of iWant items....also consider if they had done an official announced launch like they did in previous times...things could be really different really quickly.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Life isn't fair. Aside from supply, many kids won't get iPad minis for the holiday because parents can't afford $399 either. Some kids won't get much of anything. This happens every holiday with the most sought after items and some children won't get what every other kid in the country wants. Hopefully they will still have a nice holiday and won't be permanently scarred by this. I don't condone this practice but is just life and the way some people make a little extra money. As a collector of hard to find items, I can assure you that if supply is severely limited you won't be able to get the item even when it is offered at standard price - someone will beat you to it.

And there it is. The "kids are spoiled" posts never let me down!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
because i bought an extra one for resale for christmas...

double thinking it now.

And please nobody tell me how it isn't moral blah blah blah...

No one cares about reselling one. Its the ones paying homeless people and buying 20 or 30 of them that's the problem.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
The two iPad mini versions are on opposite sides of the table at my apple store. There is no clear difference between the two, so when someone comes in to buy one, they are going to ask for the cheapest version. I think that's the reason that they will not sell out. $100 is a big difference between the old and new generation and only hardcore apple fans are going to be willing to pay the premium.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
A lot of it is the silent release and lack of any meaningful publicity. Also keep in mind that most models are backed up to 5-10 days so it wouldn't be too wild to think people are just holding fire for Black Friday.

But mostly, it's still an iPad and other than the iPad 2 I don't recall big sellouts. Even the base Air is down to $459 at Microcenter now, and also on BF at other stores. (Apple has still yet to announce iPad Air sales for the first weekend which says a lot about the general publics fervor to have the newest iPads ASAP). The big question is what happens to inventory after BF... does it dry up then or readily available. That's when we'll really know.

or most people (like me) get paid on the 15th. I'm headed to an apple store for lunch break and getting mines.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not surprised. Never expected the end of the world shortages some moron analysts were expecting.

Tutone

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Lmao

Funny just watched a listing on EBay for new Retina Mini 16GB Space Grey only sell for $345 with $10 shipping not much a a profit after EBay and PayPal fees and depending on state tax I just paid $423 funny hope all the scalpers lose big time.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
So it's not a sellout yet when you can't walk into an Apple store anywhere and just buy one yet? A ton of apple stores haven't even received one yet.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I'm pretty happy with my Mini but was curious about the rMini.

But when I heard about the yellow band at the bottom, I, blessed with the gift of sight, had that curiosity evaporate.

We'll see what the correction brings out.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Not surprised by this. The ipad air is available almost everywhere here in Miami (apple,bb,walmart,target) I also noticed that for the first time people around me (friends/co workers/etc) aren't making a big hype about these ipads..what gives??? I got my ipad air on launch day. But honestly many people don't have the kind of money to spend on apple. That's understood. I always like and prefer apple products. Or maybe people just holding off for black Friday/cyber Monday deals. Honestly I think apple shouldn't release ipads so close to black Friday.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
So it's not a sellout yet when you can't walk into an Apple store anywhere and just buy one yet? A ton of apple stores haven't even received one yet.

You can have mine, ordered on line and wanted to see it with my own eyes,
I have the mini 64GB ATT it's not bad but not retina,
I saw the air and the mini side by side, CANCELED my mini order. and walked out with an ipad air 32GB ATT. (silver)

my point is if you have the old mini stay with it, it's not worth the extra $$$
if you move to the air is a different story,

i am giving my old mini as a gift to my son.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Funny just watched a listing on EBay for new Retina Mini 16GB Space Grey only sell for $345 with $10 shipping not much a a profit after EBay and PayPal fees and depending on state tax I just paid $423 funny hope all the scalpers lose big time.

why would anybody think about selling them when they still have stock...?
people need to chill out. IF you want something get it when it comes out. There will be people that pay more for something if they don't have any left...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.