Why MacRumors is bad for me

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by profmatt, Feb 7, 2017.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I've hugely cut down on my visits to MacRumors for two reasons.

First, I've possibly over-spent on Apple products in the last two years: I have bought pretty much everything they make during that time. I've placed a two year ban on buying any more so to avoid temptation by hearing about new products I'm trying to avoid the site.

Second, it does seem like every time Apple releases something new, there's a torrent of criticism. Yet I'm really happy with everything I've bought. The forums tend to make me worry about things, or notice things I wouldn't otherwise have noticed. For example, there was talk about the MacBook Pro (2016) keyboard being really noisy. I guess it is, but I'm pretty sure that never would have occurred to me had people not mentioned it.

In general, I've had no problems with my Apple products. Where I have, I've been able to return them, or replace them without difficulty. All the negative talk just gets me down.

But that's just me.

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I have been holding on to my Apple products far longer than I ever have. Still own a launch day 6 plus that works amazingly well. Still own a launch day first gen iPad Air that works amazing just the same. Also my MBP is from 2012.

I see no reason to upgrade every year anymore and glad I got out of that habit. It saves me money and honestly they make such a great product you can go a few years.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I feel your pain, but doubt that any site dedicated to Apple products ever influenced my buying decisions. At one point I owned MBP 17" ( the old one...I7) MBP 13", MBA 13" Iphone of whatever was current, Ipad the same, all top spec, oh, an imac too! My choice, my call, MR has been around for a very long time, and there have always been little arguments and product criticism, but that's how we learn about things is it not?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

With no apologizes for saying so, a website is not responsible for your buying habits, it's your own doing.

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Man, I wish I had your problems. Also, there's something particularly ironic about creating a MacRumors thread about cutting down… on MacRumors.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

MacRumors is bad for me because it keeps me from finishing my budget for the spring quarter. And, bringing in the recycle box from its trip to the roadside this morning... and,,, and,,, ;)

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't let what others say be my decisive action but I like the variety and knowledge of possible defects.

I still have a 6s with the Samsung processor.

I've got the 7+ with the Intel.

Am I concerned? No. Do I know what they might lack or be considered inferior to? Yes.

Do I honestly care anymore? Nope. I take it with a grain of salt. If it works for me, it's fine.

As for the negativity, only PRSI gets under my skin sometimes but I have to just let bygones be bygones right?

8. AngerDanger, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

I'd be interested to learn which psychological factors motivate people to browse the PRSI. It's like a drug; I know it's only going to cause pain, but I can't help myself. The thread titles are so alluringly inaccurate or antagonistic.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It's because it appeals or disgusts someone emotionally. It hits the base level of human nature. So it makes you feel compelled to react. Just what I think.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Some people like watching fireworks. Others prefer setting them off.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I'm not easily disgusted. I'm interested in how fellow humans think in terms of politics. I'm often amused by people there who say we should do something but don't think of the repercussions of their plans, much like the toddler in chief. Politics is a very raw and emotional subject for many. One capable of pushing the norms people have established. I'd be lying if I said I haven't in the past playfully pushed a person's buttons there so they'd slip up and invalidate their entire theory.

I'd be more worried if PRSI posters were some of the subhuman scum you see and read in the news or if people threatened each other with violence. On the whole, people generally get along. I can't speak for other PRSI posters, but I leave my debate in PRSI. It doesn't cross into other threads outside the section. Just my 2c.

12. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I agree. PRSI needs to stay there. Outside of it, there are huge amounts of other topics that can be discussed.

I think I too can be guilty of saying things to open a can of worms. Not always worth it but I suppose I'm a glutton for a political debate with no end in sight.

Overall even with a few crazy verbal skirmishes, most of us are pretty civil.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In years here I don't think I ever made a post in there. I'm sure Q will correct me but I'm fairly sure I didn't. Religion and politics are topics I steer clear of. It's a veritable minfield of pain. Mind you, criticising MR for lost time etc might just get me in there yet. Think this threads headed for the wasteland though so I'm gone!

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Honestly, I think the worst spats on this site are by some of the hardcore Apple fans like in the MBP thread from November. Felt like a minefield.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The key: SELF CONTROL. Hang onto your devices longer. I just traded in my 4 year old ipad. My iphone is about 2 years old and I feel no need to upgrade. Avoid the watch, unless you have money to burn. At MacRumors spend more time in the community forum. :D

16. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

PRSI is a weird place. There are users whom I've liked until I saw what they write on PRSI...ruins my appreciation for that person all together.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's best avoided in my experience. I don't judge people on their beliefs, so finding out that they have them is what PRSI is about I guess. I'm sticking by my " never go there" creed. :)).

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You're doing the right thing. I try to avoid it but I do still post there. However, I respect everyone there unless they start the name calling. Not things like right wing nutjobs either, we're talking full on verbiage of the eccentric and vulgar type. As long as it doesn't turn that way, I'm perfectly happy to continue any debate. I don't mind any troll actions or emotion eliciting responses. They come with the territory I think.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's my philosophy now, but I do draw the line with my phone. I started off with a 3G and have owned them all minus a couple ( only the 6S) of the \s increments. Now on the 7 plus, but my tablet is a Surface 3 and won't be upgraded anytime soon....heck, it's only a couple of months old, and my Imac is waiting to see if Apple release a meaningful upgrade to that range. It's three years old but going strong so I'm sitting on it...I was the guy that had to have it all, but no longer:)

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Funny thing is I have been on MR since 2011 and browsing the site since 2009, but I never knew these forums existed until this last presidential race lol. I remember seeing front page threads stating the topic existed in this forum but I would only post on the main page and not go any further.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Two, in my case.

I'm not American, or from the place, and it offers me a snapshot of what - and why - people in the US view the world, or take the stances, they do.

Secondly, I am passionately interested in history and politics, and those have been my life - my profession - and long before that, since my early teens, some of my absorbing interest, so it is also of intellectual interest to me.

Very instructive an most educational. I won't deny that I find it puzzling, as well.

No, - perhaps that is the case in the US, but, elsewhere, there are other reasons, as well.

Agreed.

Hm. I have had that experience, too.

22. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like seeing one of your good friends or neighbors in a really bad part of town doing unseemly things and reveling in squalor. You get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

I naively wandered over to PRSI a few months ago, right after the election. Talk about "Oops". Last time I'll ever make that mistake. :p

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The magic must have worn off on me, 2016 was the first year I didn't buy anything new from Apple since 2004.

MacRumors has always been like that. :D

24. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

You know, maybe this is the approach I should take. I actually would like to read other people's views on spirituality. Maybe I'll start out lurking for a while. There's always the ignore button I suppose :)

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You have 77 posts there. Last one in 2014. ;)