Why offer white bezels?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by turbineseaplane, Apr 1, 2016.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

This sort of occurred to me at the Apple Store today when I was returning some stuff today..

I sauntered over to the 5k 27" iMac's and it for some reason occurred to me that the huge beautiful P3 display has a black bezel.

Do we think that's the best/intended way to have the framing of a display?

I've been really torn on the iPads (and phones actually) about the white fronts. I love the colors for the sides and back, but it really feels "off" with the white fronts. You see the digitizer borders and the content feels a bit recessed into the device vs the white bezel, etc..

When the bezels are black, like on that iMac, it's simply amazing how the device literally disappears (even the iMac) and you have just the interface perfectly framed and almost "floating".

Does anyone else feel this way?
    Is this why Space Gray is so popular? (only one w/ black bezels)

Also - I was just recollecting that didn't all the iPhone 5c's also have black bezels like the iPod Touches? Those new iPod touches are so cool looking I might add. I don't understand why the other iOS devices can't have much richer color options. They look sensational!

I think it should be at least optionally a black bezel on any color device.

2. wmadan macrumors newbie

I purchase silver iPhones/iPads, which of course come with while bezels, for practical reasons. Since I put screen protectors on, the dust that invariably gets under the protector when you're putting it on isn't as noticeable on white bezels as it is with black bezels. Also, fingerprints don't show up as much as they do with dark bezels.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

2 good points...if we took those practical reasons out though, do you feel the content is framed and floating and the device disappears better w/ black? (as per my OP)

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Just about every single Tablet or phone out there has black bezels and I use to think the same way as You but White bezels a white iPad just looks more premium and clean. Also in a dimly lit bedroom I almost destroyed a Black Tablet because I could not see it. Now I exclusively use a White Phone and a White iPad Pro because even in the dimmest dark room I can usually see a White device.

6. iregret macrumors 6502

Black is better. That's why TV's usually have black borders. Black boarders frame the image.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Why offer white bezels? Why not? As much as you prefer black bezels other people prefer white. It's entirely subjective. Neither is inherently better than the other.

8. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That was sort of the question I was trying to understand in my OP though.

On the super high end, amazing screen, iMac 5k - Black bezels....Same for all the laptops & iPod touches nowadays.

It certainly feels a little like Apple is implying it's better (at least from their view), no?

9. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I'm a space grey girl. I always found the white bezels a bit too obvious. I like the fact the the black ones disappear better. After a while you just don't see them anymore.

But I bought the pro in silver. I still like Space Grey better, but I figured that since I was mostly going to use it as a notebook, so mostly white backgrounds, the bezels would blend better. Just like black is better for videos.

I'm still getting used to them lol, but I think it was the right move in this case.

That being said, no way am I ever buying a white bezel iPhone, unless they totally screw up the space grey.

10. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

..and this is why I find it so totally puzzling that 75% of the color options for iPhones & iPads are white bezel devices...

Just seems nuts given how many people talk about the virtues of black bezels.

I wonder if Apple has the numbers that tell us otherwise and that white fronts sell better (along with the colored sides/backs) and perhaps the demographic that visits a Forum is simply more likely to prefer black, but the rest of the world, not so much?

11. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

White doesn't show up fingerprints as much as black does. It also has the effect of making the device look smaller. my friend has the 6 plus in black and it looks huge compared to my 6splus in White.

At the end of the day it's about choice, plus if no-one bought white ones Apple wouldn't make them.

12. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I would LOVE a gold iPhone with the black bezel that would just look so elite.

13. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    White is better to me, (it doesn't distract me or take away any movie experience.) I like the Black bezel on Macs but for iOS I think White works really well. Plus White in western culture represents Life and Purity, while Black is Death and Chaos. ;)

Kal.

14. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Does the edge of "black" between the actual screen area and the white bezel itself ever bother you?
    I feel like I couldn't "un-see it", you know?

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Just ignore him/her... it's not worth anyone's time and effort to engage any further. :)

Kal.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Nope, when it comes to colors, I don't usually have any problems with distractions or design (unless it's hot pink then i'm out, lol ;) )
    In all honesty I just watch the content on the actual screen, and pay attention to what is moving. I don't really believe the "black makes for a better cinema feel" as I had a Black bezel iPad up until the iPad Air 2... since then I found I really prefer the white. but as usual YMMV, :)

Kal.

16. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I like the white... Both are nice, I like the lighter colour, makes it feel more cheery, also why I have a yellow Smart Cover :)

17. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I've gone back and forth between black and white over the years, but I decided last year that my preference is definitely the White.

It it looks cleaner, more professional/sleek, and more premium than the black. I do a lot of web browsing, and feel that for reading, you can't beat the all white front - especially on sites like MacRumours.

Also, on the 6 series phones, the black fronted phones also suffer from the slippery/shiny Space Grey coated back, which I hated on the 6. I much prefer the matte finished Silver/Gold/Rose Gold feeling of the rear shells.

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

My personal preference is for the black bezels. While it's clearly subjective, there may be some truth/value to the comments on fingerprints and dust... All of my devices have had the black bezel, except for one iPad - my wife's iPad Air 2. Every time I pick it up for any reason, I am reminded how much I dislike the white bezels.

19. Nell macrumors regular

I opt for space grey to get the black bezel. I'd love the white bezel if it didn't have the thin black line between it and the screen but that really puts me off.

I didn't like the gold/rose gold finishes anyway but I do like the silver one.

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Apple tradionally equals - white. That's why.

21. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I think that black borders are a must for ipad or above, so in the end video content, etc. In an iphone probably white is better since you'll be mostly seeing email, etc.
    I wouldn't conceive buying a ipad in white.

The other thing u mentioned is the digitizer. That is very annoying with the white borders
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2016 ---
    It's just a shame Apple only offers one color for black borders

22. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

I use my ipad mainly for webbrowsing and I much prefer the white bezel. It just doesn't feel as boxed-in as a black bezeled one does. For a phone I always pick the black one, although I really do love the white 6(s). A black phone is more discrete to me. That's not a factor for my ipad though, as I don't use that in public.

23. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I always find the black bezels less of a distraction to the eye, particularly in low light, the black just melts into the background. I've had one white iPad, never again.

24. AaronG123 macrumors regular

In terms of iOS devices, I 100% agree with you - a black front is a lot better. I've never understood why people would purchase w white fronted phone. Not only can you see the black screen (sticking out like a sore thumb) but also the camera, proximity sensor & earpiece all stick out.

Personally I would LOVE a Gold aluminium back with a black front casing. Apple will never make this combo however.... I am debating about making the combo myself however, from two phones aha!

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Do not care about the color of the device as long as the bezel is black. I have used white bezeled device and it seems distracting.