Why people are using expensive Macs .are there any advantages?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asifnaz, Nov 18, 2011.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

I am above average PC user . I know Macs look cool but I see absolutely no point spending more than twice money for bit dated hardware .

If you are going to say it is safe from viruses I might say I don't get viruses on windows either (using free antiviruses ) and I use Ubuntu Linux as well which is quite similar to Mac OS X in design and feel

I am not against Apple or Mac just curious why so many people have these expensive machines
    Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Expensive is a relative term. What's expensive to one may not be expensive to another. I buy Macs because they meet my needs, primarily because of Mac OS X, and the price is one I'm willing and able to pay. Why do people buy Mercedes or larger homes or Rolexes or anything that has a cheaper alternative? Because they can!

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I was a stanch Windows user till I started using a Mac. OSX/Mac simply work and work really well.

4. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I am asking functionality . People buy those Mercedes not because they want to spend their money but they want fast , secure and luxury cars

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Comparing a Windows (Linux) PC with a Mac, I can say that
    1. Mac is more advanced in technology.
    2. Mac is more stable and reliable.
    3. Mac is of higher productivity.
    4. Mac is more enjoyable to use.

6. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

5.Mac is Expensive

On serious note Macs' strong point is in the multimedia department. Personally, if you aren't doing any kind of heavy duty video editing or image editing or musical recording, they aren't worth the price

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My Macs run faster, are more secure from malware, require less maintenance and are more trouble-free than any Windows computer I've ever touched. I spend more time being productive with them and spend none of the time on maintenance and tweaking that I used to do on Windows. My time is worth far more than any price difference I paid.

8. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It is more expensive because of its greater functionality.
    It is more expensive because of its greater value.
    It is more expensive because people are willing to pay more for its functionality and value.

A Mac lets you feel better even when you are browsing the internet and when are typing into a simple text editor. (I can say this because I have a Windows PC two meters away from my Mac and I use both of them because I MUST do a few things on my Windows PC).

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I run Windows on my Mac only when...
    I need software that simply doesn't exist on OSX e.g. Schematic Capture, PCB layout.
    I want to play games.
    I need a space heater.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Hardware...who cares, if it meets your needs then it's worth it. The design/material used on Macs are better IMO, and well worth it. Just feel/look at a PC then do the same to a Mac, see if you can tell the difference. Nonetheless, the function of OSX is simple to use. But all in all, I feel like this is a troll thread :p

11. asifnaz, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I must agree with you in this case . But if you compare Mac with an Ubuntu PC you wont notice these differences

Where did I do any trolling . I am just trying to find advantages of Mac and will buy one if I think it is worth the price . I want Unix with sleek design and premier hardware

12. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I left Windows for Linux several years ago. Mac OS X has many of the same advantages which Linux has over Windows - and in addition, it's quite battery-friendly (to notebooks, that is). To get a notebook with 8-10 hours of practical use under Ubuntu, you will often have to pay a quite high premium for hardware anyway.

Another good reason is that a Mac keeps its resale value longer than most non-Apple-computers do. If you later intend to sell your Mac to buy a newer one, you will most likely get back the "apple tax" you paid when purchasing the first one.

13. iSayuSay, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hmm .. this question again ...

Well just think of it this way.

People have different needs for their car.

Buying a Mac is like buying a factory built up sport car, with a decent V8 engine, but also has nice leather seats, steering, interior and luxurious details. And those luxuries don't come cheap.

Buying an ordinary/custom built PC is like buying a modded out sport car, you can have V4, 6, 8 or even 12 engine. Your choice, you can opt out to use your own design, interior, paint color etc.

And here is when people (Mac hater) complains. Why paying so much just to have useless leather interior? Why not put the money for V12 instead? Use some hard-@ss cheapo carpet for interior .. but beefing up machine, put some turbocharger, NOS, replace the crankshaft etc?

One way or another, leather interior doesn't make your car run faster, but do you get my point? And people would say .. OMG .. with the same price I can get V12 machine, why pay more for V8 and useless interior set?

You see ... Mac is not the fastest machine out there, but you're paying for a nice machine, in and out Apple pay attention to detail. Look at MacPro .. it may be expensive, but would you look at that nice piece of equipment .. you can see no border between motherboard input slots and the chassis, all nicely integrated. Can you get that with custom built PC?

Not all people needs this "luxurious leather seat" .. but for me, I'd rather have V8 car that feel and look nice to ride, rather than V12 with some hard@ss interior half naked but really fast to boot.

14. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

So I don't have to mess with settings or any other nonsense. Plug and play, literally. I'll never go back.

15. bew macrumors newbie

I used to use other machines including PCs. I moved to Mac in 1999 and can not see myself ever leaving. But I will if there is a alternative. When I moved, I was trying to get a brand new PC to stop having BSOD every 10 minutes. I was at uni at the time and could not afford another lost assignment.

PCs and Windows to me represent a world of waiting for the machine to react (I use Vista at work, I know wait times). No viruses. Ever. the 'i' software rocks from the box - itunes and iphoto in particular are great.

So, yes. Mac represents the best quality product on the planet at the moment for experience, security, and ease of use. If that changes, I will change.

16. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Nice points . I just want to know if you felt some drawbacks..? I am considering to buy a Mac so I am trying to make some decisions

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Buy one and try it, you can always return it. It took me about two weeks to unlearn Windows and learn OSX. Now it's hard to look back.

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I'm not a heavy user that's why I have macbook airs! Look at this way for just the mba can you find any pc maker that have an awesome built like the mba at the same price?! Prolly yes now however they don't sell so the question is why right?

19. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I will defiantly buy one . I will not face a learning curve as I am coming from Ubuntu/Linux (and windows as well ) . I will start with less expensive Mac like MBA or Mac Mini (or may be a slightly used one)

20. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Used or refurbished are an excellent way to get a Mac on the cheap. If you're not concerned with blazing speed you can get a couple of year old iMac pretty cheap.

21. Mavimao, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011

Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

As people mentioned before, people pay the "apple tax" because they desire a certain experience. It's not about gigaflops, or gigahertz or polygons per second, it's about how we desire to interact with our computers and how we desire for it to work FOR us.

I have nothing against Linux - I feel it is an important component in our digital lives, and people should have the choice to take an OS, take it apart and make what they want of it. However, I would never recommend Linux as a Windows/OSX replacement to anyone who is not a "geek". I spent a summer using Ubuntu to see if I could live in a open source only environment, and I can't remember how many times I wanted to throw the computer out of the window. Just getting my printer/scanner to work took me all day to find the correct repositories, drivers, etc. The forums were very kind in helping me, but I just wanted to scan some photos!

People choose to pay a little extra for macs to have that ease of use experience. To have a computer that works for them and not against them. It's difficult to quantify in words sometimes what makes a mac so great, but if you are curious, then by all means, purchase a second hand mac mini and give it a try.

Just a small example of what makes macs so great:

I teach English at a private Middle school / high school, and my 8th grade classes wanted to make a video for their German pen pals, showing them the school. The school had an old DV camera lying around (and claimed one couldn't import video into a computer, but I knew better), so I took the camera, and we shot some stuff, and I went home and threw together a video with iMovie and made a quick DVD with iDVD and all the students and staff were shocked by how well it turned out.

With software that was included with my Mac, I was able to edit a video and create a DVD with great looking results. I don't even want to imagine how one could make a similar video with Windows without shelling out $$$.

22. mannix87 macrumors 6502

I use Logic Pro & it only runs on a Mac....

Why don't you try it first so you'll understand why you pay a premium before you can bring these machines home. :)

23. stickybuns macrumors 6502

I had been a Windows PC user most of my life, and had taken for granted that one must diligently defrag hard drives, perform regular adware and malware scans, restart after a crash and other bits of weekly/daily maintenance.

After my Dell laptop more-or-less fell apart exactly two days past the warranty expiring, I decided "ah, what the heck" and gave the MacBook a try.

Night and day:
    No issues with keys snapping off the keyboard (as did happen with the Dell when my cat would walk across is), a solid body that has been able to handle more than a few tumbles off the couch, the wonderful intuitiveness of multigestures (a novel concept to me--although I hear that it is becoming more common, much much much greater stability (I can't remember the last time I restarted it), previewing files with Finder....

It hasn't been 100% problem free. I did have a hard drive die on me (I did manage to recover the files, thankfully), but on a day-to-day basis I love it.

My only complaint is that I can't justify an upgrade.... Everything still works great after 3 (4? Can't remember when I bought it) years of heavy use.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you put a price on your time? ... by eliminating the constant PC rebooting time ... Macs will save you $$$ :apple:

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The OP has respectfully asked for some thoughts and opinions on the different platforms. Too bad that one can't ask a question without getting treated so rudely as to be called a troll. No wonder people view Mac users as elitist snobs.

I prefer a Mac, but I don't bash PC's to justify the high profit markup Apple charges. I'm honest about it. It's just business. If you want the Apple OS you're going to have to pay Apples price. It's as simple as that.