Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
A large of part of the apple experience, for me at least, is the way the company treats it's clients. I have never come away from a contact with apple, be it on the phone or via email and felt like banging my head on the wall. Which is how communicating whith most other large companies leaves me feeling. I just spent a good bit over two grand on a new iMac which ordered on the phone. There was no being kept in a que, or going round and round in an automated switchboard, the chap selling me it just asked for my apple email address, called me by my first name, and asked me no more footling questions about my postcode etc. When I told him I was paying with someone else's credit card he said that was no problem. Every other company would want to speak to the card holder, and then they would refuse to send the computer to any address but the cardholders. It's not just apple computers that 'just work', it is also apple itself.

Oh yes and the nice chap then sent me his own work switchboard number and name to contact if I had any problems, and then he gave me iworks, the magic trackpad, and the apple charger for free.

That is why I love apple.

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
London
The intrinsic value of the mac includes slightly more speed, although Windows is catching up, and slight ease of usage and working (e.g. I find the parental controls easier to switch on, configure and more effective on the mac)

but its not the complete value argument

the value argument is the package deal including style and support + advanced technology in some area (e.g. IPS screens in the all-in-ones) and compact technology where apple has thought of the form and function combined

PC makers rarely do that as they are building down to a specification due to extreme competition.

Where PC makers stick their head above the parapit and are prepared to charge more, they come up with some lovely and thoughtful machines (e.g. the Sony Vaio Z series, or the Samsung SF series)

Apple support is excellent though!

Where Apple moves on dangerous territory it where it takes a stand at loggerheads with the market. It survived the flash battle by the seat of its pants but not having blu-ray players is plain stupid and Apple should never give up the large HD capacity laptop or iMac in favour of some useless cloud storage (useless for photographers or videographers or video hoarders)

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Oh yes, another thing to consider when buying a mac is the depreciation. A windows machine will probably loose about seventy or eighty percent of it's value in a year. A mac machine will retain nearly seventy percent of it's value after a year.

Obioban

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
The biggest reason to use a mac can't really be easily vocalized. Everything is just more pleasant to use. When I boot into windows, I constantly feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. In OSX, everything works as I'd expect and feels... rewarding.

Maybe it's because I worked in IT for a couple of years, so windows feel like work to me. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.