Why sacrifice so Much space for Speakers ? Pics

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Mar 28, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/ Scroll down its about mid page

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2015/09/iPad-Pro-Tech-Specs-800x441.jpg

Now I am super excited for my 9.7 Pro But I have to ask just look at the real estate and space taken up by the Speaker assemblys. My question is WHY?

Not only would we all be happy with just two of these Giant Speakers I'd be happy with just Two iPhone Sized speakers.

that being said. Can you imagine how much more battery could be squeezed into that space.

Any theories on why this is ?

2. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

3. urkel, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

urkel macrumors 68030

And by "We" you are referring to you as an individual expressing a solitary opinion, right? :D

As a former iPad Pro owner, the speakers were actually a HUGE reason for why I almost kept the thing. Having a media consumption device with onboard audio that actually sounded good was an unexpectedly fantastic benefit. I really don't know how well it will be implemented in an already tight iPad Air chassis (especially considering Air2 Vibration issues) but its something that you should try out personally before dismissing.

4. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

More battery in that space would likely be heavier as well.

It's all a balancing act ... yes you might get more battery life, but it might also weigh more and be harder to hold for as long.

5. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but I think that's after some components have been removed. https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/NkEwMaPATjrydoFK <-- the 12.9 version looks the same

No, I'm happier with 4 :). My Air 2 speakers were fine, but the early reviews are saying the sound is much improved.

6. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I think I'm looking forward to the 4 speakers and improved audio the most.

7. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Only at 200 Nits so thats lower than Half Brightness. Because while the iPad Pro 9.7 achieves 500 nits of Max brightness 250 Nits would be Half way I question at what Brightness all the other iPads were set at ? Until this is Known these results are worthless.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Simply put - weight. The speakers are made up of primarily empty space, to have air to move. Batteries are dense. Bigger battery == more weight. Rather than "wasting" space with nothing they improved the speakers.

9. austriak macrumors regular

The review said that all devices were set to 200 nits so that it would be comparable.

10. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

From the article:

That's why they used 200 nits, all the devices where capable of it, and it would match up with previous reviews. If the put it at 500 none of the other devices would compare.

Ars is known for being rather rigorous in their reviews.

11. username: macrumors 6502a

Because speakers are important to many users and more of a selling point than 30 minutes extra battery life.

12. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm sure there are several factors for both the 12.9 and the 9.7. Apple always shoots for the magical "10 hour" "all-day" battery life. I think this is a reasonable metric to achieve as it gives you a standard so you don't just stuff the whole iPad with a battery instead of implementing new ways to utilize the space (speakers in this case). The iPhones are a little different as their battery life keeps going up with each refresh.

I could imagine the 9.7 has a hotter running chassis (another reason the CPU is probably clocked a little lower - besides the fact it's powering a smaller screen), stuffing a larger battery in there would make the device run a little hotter. I could almost guarantee they utilize that speaker space as additional heat sink areas for the body. I have rarely run into situations where my battery was running really low, I always charge my devices overnight. I appreciate the improvement in the audio system (the 12.9 blew me away the first time I heard it), and I know I will utilize the speakers a lot more than I would the additional hour or so of battery I could have gotten otherwise.

13. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

14. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I get this and I don't.
    Surely the iPad is a personal media device isn't it?
    Are people gathered around their living room watching a 13" iPad? Or giving presentations?
    I mean for occasional use the speakers would be a plus but I'd imagine that headphones would be used for the majority of media consumption. Unless one lives alone.
    To make the speakers such a dominant design choice just seems needless.

15. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Yes

Probably not.

Really? Unless I'm recording or mixing audio on my iPad, I rarely ever use headphones.

I disagree.

16. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Even if I am the ONLY person looking at my iPad for the entire life of the iPad, I want good speakers. That should be a no brainier

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If I am the only one listening to my iPad then I'd want good speakers but that's what I'm saying. How often are you the only one listening to it? Either I'm in a coffee shop or I'm on the bus or I'm at my desk at work or I'm at home with family but it seems I'm always surrounded by other people who prolly don't want to listen to my iPad. Hence the headphones.
    Must just be me.

18. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Yeahhhhh I don't think we should get in the habit of asking for less improvements because you like to listen on your headphones. For a lot of us that use it at home or in pretty secluded environments (the park for example) the new speaker system is a godsend.

19. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it's hardly just you, but it is a fairly specific user scnario. Even people who don't live alone can often still find plenty of time to be alone and consume media on their phones and tablets headphone-free.

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm happy Apple is finally investing more time and energy into better speakers.

21. urkel, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

urkel macrumors 68030

If the Air Pro is going to be called out on questionable "dominant design choices" then shouldnt it be for the complete lack of design choices EXCEPT for adding speakers?

22. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

There are times where I have used my iPad to share videos with several others and the speakers (referring to the iPad Air 1) were very lacking where everyone could still hear in a slightly noisy environment. The Pro changed that and everyone commented on how great it sounded. It's not always convenient to carry around a bluetooth speaker. You're not just getting improved audio quality but a much louder sound as well.

23. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I never use my iPad speakers and would prefer some more battery. As long as the thing is as light or higher than my iPad it would be fine for me. However I understand that doesn't work for everyone.

24. dmx macrumors 6502

Sounds like Apple has decided 10 hours of battery life is an acceptable target. Once they get to 10 hours (give or take), they've decided to use whatever space is left for other improvements (speakers, thinness/lightness, whatever their targets are). That's a decision I fully support.

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I don't use the screen sometimes when I'm listening to music so really, I don't think we need screens anymore. Just think of the great battery life we could have if we didn't have a screenin the next iPad. Hopefully apple will listen to their consumers and have a screen less iPad