Why sacrifice so Much space for Speakers ? Pics

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

As you can see, these don't look like they are the same as what you would find in larger iPad Pro. I doubt they could have put a battery up there unless they use the new battery tech in the Macbook Pro series where the battery fills in all the empty space.

Attached Files:

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Decisions around battery life, RAM, and other specs are likely made when weighing many sources of data (usage data, cost information, etc). People act like there's a team of people sitting around at Apple throwing darts at a board with specs or something. These decisions may not fit your particular use case, but they're most likely designed to fit the average consumer's needs.

The key here is to understand that if you're on these forums, you're probably not in that "average user" group.

3. Wackery macrumors 6502a

everyone knows apple spins a wheel

4. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'm far from your typical iPad user, but when I got the 12.9" Pro, the purpose was to see if I could replace my old MacBook Pro with an iPad to use for 90%+ of my needs.

I own a music production company, and about half of my work is listening to songwriter submissions that come by email or that are uploaded to my FTP site. Having good quality sound is a requirement of my main device. Yes, I use headphones when I'm listening to something we have recorded in the studio, but when listening to these initial submissions, I prefer to listen through the regular speakers. The 12.9" iPad Pro actually has better quality sound than my MacBook Pro, which I find pretty amazing.

5. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

Toooooooooo ... make them sound better?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not an audiophile but I think the speakers are definitely one of the nice points of the new iPads. I for one would definitely enjoy them.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I love my iPad Pro speakers! Looking forward to the same on the 9.7.

I am sure the battery will last way longer than what I need.

8. Serban Suspended

the battery usage of any ipad is more than enough. yes maybe iphone will never need a 4 speakers instead of battery, but common to have so much life and so much audio quality is a no brainer
    in conferences,in movies, in music the difference between pro and air is night and day specially at loud volume

9. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Two reasons probably, first the obvious better sound. Secondly, weight considerations, the more battery they stuff in there the heavier the device gets.

Just a theory.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good sound is important. Speakers are the conduit of sound, but not necessarily good sound. 4 speakers do not automatically sound better than 2 by shear number (Quantity over quality). Frankly it's impossible for a under 1" thick device to have good sound just on the scientific basis for how speakers work.

Apple increased the speakers to 4 because it looks good on a spec sheet and is an easy way to differentiate from the Air 2. It has zero to do with providing the end user with good sound. If sound is important a pair of $40 headphones, earbuds or BT speaker is going to yield better audio. Good sound is not coming out of nickel sized woofers no matter how many you link together.

Also for a "pro" I think more battery power would be a bigger selling point. I mean if the "pro" is about getting work done. However, more battery power also means more weight and I'm sure Apple did not want to go over the 1lb mark.

11. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

But It Weighs Exactly the Same as the iPad Air 2 even down to the Grams.

12. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Because they made no significant increase in the battery size used. Had they used a bigger battery, it would naturally have been heavier. Something we all know Apple likes to avoid as much as they can.

13. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

"Yikes" is all I can say about this admission from a "pro" audio company.

14. Techyguy Suspended

I love the speakers on the 12.9 iPP. Don't even need my bt speaker at work anymore

15. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

It really is that good though, when I got my 12.9 Pro and blasted out some Pink Floyd (my preferred first test) I was properly shocked. I cant recall the last time i heard such good sound from a portable device, particularly one as slim as the iPad Pro.

16. Techyguy Suspended

Fixed that for you

17. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Thing is though, while no-one in their right mind would complain about better battery life. The battery on any of the iPads currently on sale is as good as it's ever been. We've coped with it so far, I'm sure we could continue to do so. I always keep an external battery charged (well, I've actually got 9 of them, it's an obsession) for any occasion where I think I might be away from a power source for too long.

18. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I've heard them. They are not "pro" quality. They aren't even good consumer quality. Physics prevents these from being even reasonably good speakers compared to even a cheap stereo from Best Buy.

They are no doubt fantastic for a portable electronic device. But this is more of the same, Apple making compromises to make things ever smaller and slimmer and kidding themselves that they are improving speaker quality in the process. Even my iMac sounds dreadful compared to even a basic desktop set of powered "computer speakers", and those are the largest speakers Apple makes, outside of their Beats products.

19. Techyguy Suspended

You are correct, iPad battery life has always been pretty damn good. I hate it when people make sweeping statements about what others think

20. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Funny, I don't recall mentioning them being "Pro" quality, just particularly good for the slim, portable device thats pumping out the sound and it is good for what it is. In my domestic environment I'm impressed with the sound it produces for the components its has.

It's never going to replace a quality HiFi setup, but it's not supposed to. Dear god I've spent tens of thousands on HiFi gear over the years, I wouldn't trade my Arcam rig for an iPad for audio, that's just ludicrous and I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise. But the iPad certainly could cope well as a sole audio source, for say, a student living in a small flat or something along those lines.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Actually you did. You were replying to my criticism that a professional music studio would listen to music for critical evaluation on an iPad Pro, by saying "It really is that good".

My point is that someone who purports to be a music professional, should not be equating the audio quality produced by the iPad Pro with that possible by even cheap basic consumer sound systems, and especially not suggesting they're a good replacement for doing their job.

22. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Simple people. iPads have been designed around the same battery life from day one. They were able to carve out space for better speakers and still keep their benchmark battery life. So tell me why wouldn't they?

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

10 hours for a portable device is enough, unless you're on a plane for 16 hours you don't need more battery, even then you'd just bring your charger anyway

24. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I dunno. Listening to an initial submission on speakers comparable to what people actually use? Doesn't sound that crazy to me. Especially when the initial submissions aren't likely to be recorded in conditions that allow for critical listening in the first place.

25. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

If you read beyond the first line you'd also have noticed I specifically mentioned the performance being in relation to a portable device. And I stand by it. From the dozens of laptops (many significantly bigger and thicker, with larger speaker drivers) and dozens of phone/tablet devices I've owned the iPad Pro (12.9") has the best size to audio performance I've heard from built-in speakers.