Why should I buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrsir2009, Sep 19, 2009.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why should I buy a MacBook Pro instead of a MacBook, what are the differences that I'd notice? Also, should I get a 13", 15" or 17"?

Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nothing too hardcore. Mainly web browsing, making websites (not hosting them), and maybe some games etc. I'd like to be able to use it in the dark so the backlit keyboard of the pro would be good :D

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The MacBook Pro is simply more powerful and has more features than the standard MacBook does. It all comes down to what you will use the computer for and what you find to be an advantage to owning one over the other.

While all Macs are great computers (as Apple doesn't make crap), you may prefer to get a Mac that is faster, or more durable, or a number of other things. In that case, you could look at the MacBook Pro. The screen quality of the MBP is much higher than that of the MacBook, producing vivid color and contrast, along with a higher level of brightness. The MBP has a larger hard drive, faster RAM speed, and a faster processor. It also has the multi-touch trackpad, which simply makes using your computer more intuitive and convenient... not to mention cool.

So if you want/need the extra power or nice features of the MBP, go for it. Otherwise, if you don't think you need them, save yourself the money and get the standard MacBook. If you end up going for a MBP, the 13" is probably the most popular right now, as it's a powerhouse in an easy, travel size enclosure. The larger the screen, the more power the computer can store within it, at the cost of it taking up more space.

5. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hmmmm, I think when I'm going to get a Mac laptop I'm going to go for a MacBook Pro =) A high end 15" because 13" seems too small and 17" seems to big...

I don't need the features, but I have the money to buy one and I like it's features (my dad has one lol).

Thanks guys!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The 15" MBP is a good machine. You can see my review on my website.

7. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I would buy the 15" as anything less isn't really 'pro'.

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Apart from the 13" :)

9. brendu macrumors 68020

i love that they labeled it as a "pro" and i like to pretend im a "pro" user but i just got it because it looks alot nicer than the macbook and has backlight keyboard/better battery. it really isnt a pro machine since the internals are basically identical to the MB

10. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

This is exactly what I have been banging on about for months now.

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

12. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Since you didn't mention what you actually use a computer for I can only really explain what I use mine for and the features I like and perhaps you will see a common use with what you want to do.

• I like the Backlight Keyboard, great for typing in poorly lit areas
    • I like the multi-touch glass trackpad, infinitely smooth and the gestures are awesome
    • Glossy Glass screen, protects the screen against finger marks right on the LCD and its very easy to clean
    • The built in iSight Camera, great for chatting without needing a big camera to plonk on the top
    • The silence, completely silent notebook so I can listen to my music without any annoying fan noise, great for Videos aswell
    • Very light, the 17" MacBook Pro that I have is lighter than most 15" Notebooks
    • 8 Hour battery life, I can get just over 4 hours with full screen brightness whilst doing normal work with itunes or VLC open. 6 Hours if I decrease brightness to around 65-75% and 8 Hours if I'm just surfing the web with nothing open and 35-40% back lighting.
    • Aluminium Enclosure, it not only looks good its very solidly built
    • Dual Graphics, I can have a really cool running Notebook on the 9400M, so cool that its almost cold to the touch when left on your legs and if I want to game I can switch over to the 9600GT
    • Mac OS X, Windows and Linux in just 1 system
    • Upgradability, I can use Express Cards, I can upgrade to 8GB of RAM and I can easily access the Hard Disk for upgrading in the future
    • Affordable extended warranty ($125 from Ebay) which covers my Apple Router as-well for 3 years + a walk-in store here in London that I can get my machine serviced in

And those are my reasons for buying a MacBook Pro over another brand notebook. Although I did seriously consider the Dell XPS 16" and 17" Notebooks.

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yes, you have.:rolleyes: It looks like you and mrsir2009 are one in the same.

The 15" base model MBP should be determined to be a "Pro" based on your criteria of size and cost?

OP:
    I suggest you just buy the top of the line 15MBP because it's the sweet spot of the Apple line up and you'll be future proofing your purchase and you have the money. The 13"ers aren't really pro's anyway.:rolleyes:

14. Gianlusp macrumors member

I bought 17" and it works great !!!

Go with MBP!!!!

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Salient advice there.

16. zwaldowski macrumors member

Everyone here makes good points and advice. I, however, have my own anecdotes to share... :D I'm a web developer and minimal gamer, and I am absolutely in love with my refurbished ($200 off!) June 2009 13-incher... for what it sounds like you're doing, you can't go wrong with it. It's just as future-proof as any $1300 crappy, plasticky, 2-hour-battery Dell.

17. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

+1
    Everybody has their own opinions, so I will now politely ask you to hold your peace on the matter so we all don't get broiled up in the pointless debate. For instance, in my eyes, my MBP is definitely "Pro".
    :D

OK, to the OP: Get the high end 15" if you have the $$; I would've. I also suggest that you get an SSD for it, for the HD is the real bottleneck in computer performance these days. Good luck on your purchase and enjoy your Mac!;):D:):cool::apple:

18. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

The 13" unibody "Macbook" has more in common with the 15" unibody "Macbook Pro" than it does with the white/black Macbooks. Same platform with DDR3 RAM and a faster FSB. IMO, Apple just fixed their confusing branding by adding the Pro back to the 13" model.

I say added "back" because the silver/aluminum/titanium laptops have always been the "Pro/Power" series while the plastic ones have always been the "iBook" series. The way they have the lineup named now makes sense from a consumer perspective.

19. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...they all get outdated with the next revision so get a 2.0 Ghz Nvidia whitebook from the refurb store for $749 and upgrade it yourself = $850 total spent... the extra $$ saved, put in a CD toward your next machine in 5 years (you'd start with ~$489 if you did the RAM and HDD upgrades your self towards to the new machine)...

21. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Cool. It sounds like you have your mind made up. Enjoy your new Pro when it comes. ;)

22. hrsetrdr macrumors member

hrsetrdr

+1 for the refurb MacBook5,2! ;)

23. n19htmare macrumors member

Because the 13" doesn't support Grand Central right? LMAO!!!!!

24. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah I'm buying a high end MacBook Pro 15 inch, they're sooo cool!

25. iWhoopu macrumors newbie

iWhoopu