Why should i buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bimbalbamble, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Bimbalbamble macrumors member

I choose my words carefully this time,

And i'm not having a pop! Just so we are clear.....:)

Why should i be buying a Mac over a "normal" PC?

What makes these machine better?

For example, i could buy a decent machine with 4GB ram, good processor etc for £600.00, and that would run Logic for instance fine. Why would i be better for me to spend £1200(ish) on a Mac Book pro that would do the same thing?

Thanks

feed Back Welcome :D

2. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

:eek:

You could purchase a Mac Mini with 4GB for around your "PC" price and this could perform logic for you...i dont understand your question

3. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

What's not to understand?

What would an MAC do for me, that a PC would'nt. Is it worth me spending more £££?

Thanks Mercer for your reply!

Your welcome for your lift home last night....:)

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The OS, the Customer Service, the build quality, the beautiful design and environmentally conscious assembly to retail product lifecycle (if you're concerned about that).

And to become part of an elite club.

5. kroeks macrumors regular

Ah! there you are again ;)

No, seriously:
    Before I got into Apple systems I asked myself that question too.
    Why would I spend more for an Apple?
    Well, when I did some research I noticed that the Mac OS is a very decent one.
    The Apple computers are also currently the only computer that bring full support to this OS (Legally- i'm not talking about Hackintosh)

It's true that they make eye-catching products and since I like their style and their products, I decided to buy an Apple Macbook as my next laptop.

At first I also installed Windows XP on the system, because I wasn't very familliar with the OS.

Now, 3 years later, I don't need Windows no more. Everything I need is on Leopard. It works way faster that windows, in my opinion.

That's why I decided to move to Mac :)

6. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

:mad:

Im sorry. Lift? WHAT?

I think you should buy a PC then, obviously theres no reason for your troll-ness to be here!!!!!

And you pay the "money" for the OS aswell as the hardware. its all one intergrated goodness...i love apple..not because im blind and love throwing money at them, because it intergrates everything in my life. if i wanted to be a PC modder and have to fart around with XP or Vista or 7 like i have the past, i would but i just want things to be simplier, easier and im fine with spending that little bit extra..

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The operating system. Duh.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

You have to ask yourself if the mac fits your budget and needs.
    I have fought the mac vs pc purchase question a number of times and for what and how my wife use a computer an inexpensive pc is perfect. For my laptop bluray was important.
    Mac would have fit into my wifes needs but $500 for the entire Pc setup fit the budget more so.
    Mac was considered but for our needs there wasn't a match.
    In the end is your money and the machne has to match your budget and needs

9. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

Whoa there Mercer!

The price difference is a big one tho, im not to bothered by the design and that its doing there bit for the enviroment, i need to find a really good reason that justifies the price hike!

Watching some of the video's online, the system looks very similar to windows, some things are moved around a re-labled.

Could you give me any direct comparrisons to support your argument?

Thanks

10. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

Answers along these lines don't really make the point, why is it better?

What does the OS do for a MAC that Microsoft just cant match?

Cheers

11. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

it sounds like youve already made your decision. if price is a big issue for you, then buy a PC. it will fit your needs perfectly. god knows in this recession i agree with you. we all cant afford big luxury items but thats why im glad i got my macs before all this economic doom and gloom and will wait 1-2 years until i buy an Imac for when the specs suits my needs

Peace be with you Bimble :)

:apple::eek:

12. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

I would be using it for general day to day task's, alot of music downloading and running Logic Pro!

Opinions would be helpfull?

13. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

HAHA i like it Mercer!

14. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

OP why not do some of your own research first i.e http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/ or you could search the MacRumors Forums for other posts that ask the exact same questions you are asking and have already been answered?

15. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Lack of viruses and malware. This is big if you plan on going online. If you are smart about your online practices, this advantage can be somewhat negated.

OS X is much more stable for me. Admittedly, I gave up on windows when 98 was new. Can't say much for the latest offering. Haven't tried it, nor will I.

If windows does what you want and you are willing to put up with the shortcomings, buy it and use it. Save your money, mortgage your patience and sanity.

16. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

If you ask this question, it seems that PC is just fine for you. Many PC users come to Mac for stability purposes (viruses, bugs etc).

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I bought a Mac, because I was sick of XP slowing down and Vista, just wanting every bit of system resource I have.

Mac's, in my opinion, are better, because they come with all the 'programs' you would normally need to download on a PC (PDF Viewer, Good web browser, iTunes, drivers...ect...). This means you are ready to use it straight away.

Another reason is because of virus'es, or the lack of them. No need to pay for an antivirus, which takes half of your ram.

Also it is the customer satisfaction rate is very high. I havent met a person unhappy with a Mac. And I certainly am not with mine. Mac's are much stabler than PC's, due to the fact that the Operating System is based on UNIX and that it is all designed for the hardware you get in a mac. You get a PC, and install Windows, there are all-sorts of driver conflicts making the Operating System unstable. You dont get that in a mac, my mac has only crashed a program twice and I've had it 6 months.

Fully 64bit now with Snow Leopard. Windows are still releasing 32bit versions of windows.

Mac's last longer. You can buy a PC, own it for around 2-3 years, before your Operating System becomes obsolete and you have to buy another, due to the new system requirements of the next Windows. With the exception of the recent drop of support for PowerPC and 32bit, OS X works on a wide range of Mac's. You buy a brand new Mac right now, and Im willing to bet it could last up to 5-7 years. Possibly even 10, because software manufacturers are still making apps for Tiger.

Support for a Mac is amazing. I had a problem with my iPod and iTunes, I called up Apple Product Support and the kind female on the other end guided me through my problem with ease. Microsoft and support dont fit in the same sentence together.

If you are new to Mac's, it may take a while for you to get used to, and it may seem a challenge at times. But once you are used to OS X, you realise how much easer everything is and actually how much hassle Windows gives you nowadays. Is it your computer or are you it's human. With OS X, it is certainly your computer.

And let's just have one more dig at windows before I finish. Let's be honest, the fact that the majority of Windows users are using an operating system that is 10 years old now (XP) just says enough about Windows.

Hope I've helped. :apple:

18. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

This is what i was after. that is one of my pet hates. Why do windows seem to slow down over time?

Do macs maintain a constant running speed when used?

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

You need to work out for yourself if it's worth it for you because that is highly individual. I still don't know why you feel anyone here owes you some sort of explanation or why you think anyone should have to convince you. If you are really interested then start searching around and weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

Macs do tend to cost more than the average PC and people obviously justify it one way or another. I myself prefer the function of the operating system and the look of the hardware. Sometimes it is that superficial. However I find it wholly less stressful to use than Windows. Windows 7 is not too bad, I have to admit, but I very much prefer OS X. My opinion, my money, my decision.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not entirely sure. I think it has something to do with the dreaded registry.

And the fact that Windows used to be that cheap and compatible OS which everyone used. With Vista to 7 home premium upgrade at £70 on amazon and Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade at £30, I'm not even sure which saves you money anymore. Sure, Windows is cheaper initially, but with the monthy antivirus subscription, the expensive upgrade and the fact that they dont last as long, I'd be questioning which is cheaper in the long run.

Also... there are so many different versions of Windows (home basic, premium, business, ultimate...ect) it can get so confusing and which one you want. Only 2 versions of OS X Snow Leopard. Home and Server. And home has the features equivalent to Windows 7 Ultimate. So you get more for your money as well.

21. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

Exactly :)

I love the way i can leave my Mini running for 29 days with no need to restart unless im applying a update but i guess that is down to OSX and hardware.

22. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

IBLUE:

What seems to be your problem?! I'm trying to find out what all the buzz are about MAC's by asking the users? I can either spend a lot of money up front to "work it out for myself" and then to find i dont like it. OR the sensible option is to ask people who use them.

You my friend are the reason for my previous post's, God forbid anybody to question the mighty Apple.

Why even come on and waste you time replying, when you have other users who are actualy giving a proper case for buying a MAC

Pointless....

23. Bimbalbamble thread starter macrumors member

You could be onto a winner there, there are a few different one's on the market! Not too sure what all the "differences" are.

It would be nice to have it a single package....

MERCER:

I need to get round yours and have a good play around with your MAC...

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't have a problem but I may simply be hesitant to think that you're actually interested but I'm more than happy to be wrong about that/you.

I am so frickin far from one of the massively dorky unconditionally loyal apple fanatics. I criticize Apple plenty when I think they're screwing up but I also prefer my macs and iPods over the competition.

Anyway, I answered your question so I don't know what else you want. If you've got something specific to ask, by all means do so. This is the place for that. :)

25. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

HAHA

I admit it.

I know Bimblebambo

he works for microsoft.

his job is to go on forums and cause hatred and raise awarness about Windows 7.

I didnt say anything before cause i knew he would get flamed anyway!

as i am a devoted mac user. i knew he would get owned :D

Long Live APPLE! :apple::apple::apple::apple: