Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Bet you haven't heard the Liverpool accent. The vocal equivalent of six month old bacon (** runs for the hills, too afraid to look back **)
Of course, it should be pointed out that the Liverpool accent has quite a few Irish influences due to the high number of folks who settled there from the Emerald Isle... ;)

Most people agree though that accents get better and better the further you go along the M62. :)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Of course, it should be pointed out that the Liverpool accent has quite a few Irish influences due to the high number of folks who settled there from the Emerald Isle... ;)

Most people agree though that accents get better and better the further you go along the M62. :)

Hi Jaffa Cake! How're the BANES? (Sorry everyone - in joke)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Bairns, surely?

I've never heard it pronounced like that in Hull. Most people seem to talk about the banes. Maybe it just feels like that after being kept up all night. :)

EDIT: there may be quite a few people from the UK on this forum, but it's a much more lively forum now at one o'clock in the morning for me than it is in the day, when all I usually get to do is post on the tail end of threads that have happened overnight!

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Of course, it should be pointed out that the Liverpool accent has quite a few Irish influences due to the high number of folks who settled there from the Emerald Isle...

That is indeed often claimed, ie the Liverpool accent is heavily influenced by Dublin immigrants but:

(a) I have honestly never heard any kind of Dublin accent (and there are dozens) that sounds remotely like the classic Scouser accent. In fact, I would go so far as to say the Dublin accent has as much in common with the Liverpool accent as it does with.....eh......the Timbuktu accent.

(b) Many more Irish people emigrated to Glasgow - does Billy Connolly sound Irish to you?

:)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Travesty! You mean to say you have never read those fine leanered articles?
I await with no less than exuberant anticipation, these narrative spectaculars each issue !!!

:rolleyes:

Considering you're now in sunny California, it doesn't seem to have done you any harm.

Maybe I'm reading the Daily Sport with the wrong hand?

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
stupidly large machines that get driven in North America

Please don't be offensive. We could easily say those stupidly small euro-boxes.
Regardless of NEED, many people enjoy the convenience of a large vehicle. As an SUV driver, I don't think I could ever go back to a car as my primarily vehicle. Too much lost (height, AWD, storage/space).

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
UK, what state is that? ;)

That's exactly what a lot of people asked me when I lived in New Hampshire for a couple of months a few years back!
Really. They did. Lot's of them.

After a while I gave up trying to explain it was an island across the Atlantic and just used to name a state. No one ever clocked.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I've never heard it pronounced like that in Hull. Most people seem to talk about the banes. Maybe it just feels like that after being kept up all night. :)
It's spelt 'bairns' but – like most other words – we have our own 'special' way of pronouncing it here. ;)

That is indeed often claimed, ie the Liverpool accent is heavily influenced by Dublin immigrants but...
I wasn't suggesting that the two accents sound the same, but there are influences in certain pronunciations and speech rhythms. But don't worry, it doesn't make me think any less of the Irish accent. ;)

I certainly don't think Billy Connelly sounds Irish either, but then again I could be mistaken because I try to avoid listening to that annoying little man wherever possible.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Doesn't this site keep statistics on the locations of users? I would be curious to see that information posted here. A graph or table that shows the number of users registered by each country. Same with user activity by country. Unless this information is buried somewhere and I'm missing it.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Nah... we've still got Blackgang Chine
:D:D:D

You very nearly cost me a tea stained iMac there!!

Please don't be offensive. We could easily say those stupidly small euro-boxes.
Regardless of NEED, many people enjoy the convenience of a large vehicle. As an SUV driver, I don't think I could ever go back to a car as my primarily vehicle. Too much lost (height, AWD, storage/space).
That wasn't meant to be offensive to anyone other than those driving super-large American vehicles through British cities. American size cars are built for American size roads was the point I was making.

But if you did take offence from it, please accept my apology.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I have to admit the macrumors/macrumours thing made the site more memorable when I first came across it... :rolleyes:

It is actually quite cool that there are so many UK users here though, I noticed it myself a while back :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.