Why the heck would anyone get the 3G now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jun 22, 2009.

?

Would you get an iPhone 3G now that the 3G S is out?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. No

173 vote(s)
    71.2%
  3. Not sure yet. Still deciding.

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Apple still sells the old 8GB iPhone 3G. Who the heck is going to buy that now that the 3G S is at least twice as fast and has a ton of new features compared to the iPhone 3G?

Wouldn't it be a better long term investment to get the iPhone 3G S?

Next year, when we get the inevitable 4.0, the iPhone 3G S is probably going to get even more exclusive features (kind of like how 3G users got MMS and Stereo Bluetooth). You never know what secrets are being held back from 3.0 and what kind of possibilities lie ahead for the iPhone 3G S future software.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if 3.1 or 3.2 gives regular iPhone 3G users the battery percentage. I think Apple will finally cave to all the complaints (kind of like they did with the first gen iPod touch not having Mail, Notes, etc and Street View).

I don't think the iPhone 3G has much life left in it now that the 3G S is out. I expect the 3G S will be a lot more expandable and the regular 3G users will be left in the dust. It sucks for us, but that's probably what's going to happen.

2. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Because the 3GS is damned expensive on PAYG and they might not want or be in a position to have a contract. Because there are shedloads of reasonably priced 16GB 3Gs around at the moment which are perfectly good. If I had a choice between a year old iPhone or no iPhone I know which one I'd take :D

3. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Honestly there's more excitement about the $99 3G than there is for the 3GS among 'average' people.

4. hellrider macrumors regular

Oh is that a statistic? A Gallup Poll? Sorry, I've been out of the loop. :rolleyes:

5. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

True. But I think that in typical Apple fashion, the $99 3G often upsells customers to the $199 3G S.

6. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Awww babbys first flame

I was commenting on the WWDC announcements on Facebook and the only thing people had to say about it was '$99 iPhone? Holy crap'

7. Que macrumors 6502

because it's an entry level iphone with impressive performance for those that want a smartphone but don't want to pay a fortune for one.

question answered.

move along, there's nothing to see here.

8. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Lots of folks actually. If my wife didn't already have a 3G, $99 is a compelling price for the device. Or perhaps if my mom wanted an iPhone. She's not too computer/tech savvy and $99 is a great entry level price. :)

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

10. lavinci macrumors 6502

In my newspaper, I see this humungous 3G ad for $99 from AT&T daily.

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

A $100 iPhone is more attractive to many people (such as those who want a cool smartphone but don't need the newest tech) than a $300 one.

12. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Dude, anyone paying full price for the iphone 3G s are the real suckers. Do you really think the improvments in the 3G s are worth the extra money? I mean you still have a low quality video camera compared compared to other video cameras and most people won't notice the difference in speed that much.

Let's say you can choose between the 199.00 and 99.00 for the 3G s and the 3 G? For most people, I would say 90% of people, don't need the extras of the 3 Gs especially with 3.0 OS being released. Now if you really need the 3G s and you qualify with for the 199.00 price I would say go for it if you can afford it. Now most people can find something else to do with the extra 100.00.

Plus the depreciation of the iphone is pretty rapid and high. It's like buying a new car--the moment you take it off the lot you lose like 30-40 percent.

13. Que macrumors 6502

:D

on a serious note, i have a question for all of the fools that actually think that it's a minor upgrade....if there were two macbooks side by side and mb1 was twice as fast as mb2, would you claim that mb1 is just a "minor upgrade" from mb2? of course you would, because mb1 doesn't have an 8mp rear facing camera and a dual core cpu.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

After having the 3G S since Friday, I can't believe that I ever used the 3G. It seems so slow now after using the 3G S. Some of the apps just take too long to open on the 3G now.

15. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

It's a minor upgrade from the position of a non-enthusiast, who doesn't really care whether Facebook.app opens in 1 second or 3 seconds. A non-enthusiast probably wouldn't notice the difference between two macbooks either.

16. Que macrumors 6502

the "won't notice the speed" argument is so completely ridiculous i have to stop and think if the people using it have a single brain cell and maybe we should go easy on them.

i don't notice the speed when i'm on a plane at 35,000 feet but i sure as hell wouldn't choose to spend less money and fly 12,000 miles to australia in a single engined cessna :rolleyes:

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The 3GS is not enough of an upgrade to get me to buy a new one, but I will say that if I hadn't gotten the 3G last year I would definitely buy the 16GB 3GS now (as opposed to the 8GB 3G).

18. Que macrumors 6502

i class my self as a non-enthusiast. i have an iphone, i'm not an apple fanboy or even a fan, i use what is the best tool for my needs.

i upgraded and i noticed the difference straight away.

if you haven't had a 3g to compare to, then obviously you won't have anything to compare it to but that doesn't mean that you should go for the slowest phone just because you have nothing to compare it to.

ridiculous.

oh and if the pre had been released in the uk i would have checked to see how fast that was before buying the 3g s. so i sure as hell didn't upgrade because i'm an apple geek, if something beats the 3g s for my needs then i'll get that whoever the hell makes it.

19. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

$99. That's the reason.

We have friends who wanted an iPhone, but couldn't stomach the $199/$299 entry point.

So, they picked up 2 - 16gb iPhone 3Gs for a total of $300.

They are happy. Me, I had to have the 3Gs :)

20. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

In the real world people have budgets, and a lot of people that aren't willing to pay $199 for a phone are willing to pay $99 for a phone.

My wife has used both (I have the 3GS, she has 3G) and doesn't really care a whole bunch about upgrading.

21. Que macrumors 6502

yes i know. read my answer to the question posed in the title thread.

you have just quoted me when i was commenting about something completely different so it's not relevant at all.

the post you used was my point against the fools who are using the "won't notice the speed" rubbish.

i don't give a toss who has a 3g and who has a 3g s. i have had enough of the completely retarded "won't notice the speed" argument though.

22. itunes2000 macrumors newbie

if the same monthly price

why not get double the memory

for $100 dollars more

since its the same price month for the plan

23. hitman45400 macrumors regular

the 3GS is like the 'Pro' tag for the laptop line, the 3G will sell more because it's cheaper, and it's the entry into the apple market, the 3GS is for people like us, that care about the new features and are willing to fork out the extra to make ourselves happy, as we are satisfied with nothing but the best. And already, the average person will buy a MacBook and not the Pro unless they need it, and so the 3G serves as the entry line iPhone, nothing more.

24. Que macrumors 6502

haven't you been reading? there's no point, nobody will ever notice that the 3g s is twice as fast :rolleyes:

25. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's clear they kept the iPhone 3G so people who break their iPhone won't be automatically upgraded to the 3GS...;)