Why would a new iPhone have 20 hours of use on it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DCIFRTHS, Dec 28, 2013.

1. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Okay. I finally have my new 5S :)
    I purchased it at the Apple store. The box was factory fresh and sealed.

Cutting to the chase: After setting up the phone as a NEW device (nothing was restored from backup), I navigated to SETTINGS, CELLULAR and the Call Time was at 20 hours :eek:
    I did a complete erase, and the timer was reset.

I went to the Apple store, and spoke with someone there who said he couldn't explain what would have caused this - even if the phone was pulled from the line for a quality check - he was stumped. He then ran the serial number, to see if the phone was associated with any other sale (a potentially returned/repackaged phone) and all that came up was my receipt. The second time he ran it, he showed me the result.

What does everyone think? Is this an anomaly? A used phone repackaged as new? A factory test?

2. matttye macrumors 601

No way of knowing - Apple has done everything they can to check. Anything else would be pure guesswork.

Does it work? If so, don't worry about it.

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

If the phone works and shows no other signs of use, then who cares?

4. jeffspc88mx macrumors newbie

Did you ever see "Contact"?

I loved that movie, but anyway...

Your iPhone 5s is actually manufactured in a quantum singularity/magnetic bottle/thingamahoochy. You saw the 'liquid-metal' ads, right? It actually gets built like that!

Anyway, every now and then these things get jostled during small seismic events. Nuthin can be done about it, it's just a limitation of the technology. So whatever device is being manufactured at that time suffers a spatio-temporal shift. The clocks on the device experience extra time, even though mere milliseconds passed in our, ummm, time zone?

It doesn't distort the spatial dimension of the thing - it'll work just fine - I think...(Is there a physicist in the house!?)

So it's like Jodi Foster in that movie - your phone traveled through time.

Either that or a cosmic ray hit the chip and knocked your phone for a bell ringer.

And for the record: If I caught my new iPhone whoring around before I opened the box, I'd be....angry. Very, very angry.

And then I'd get over it. Because you can't expect a hot, curvy iPhone not to have as much fun as it can. Just be glad it's yours now.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I loved "Contact". I still don't understand if Jodi Foster actually went into space or not. I don't get that ending.

Anyway, I personally think OP's 5S is a resale. Did OP ask of he/she could exchange for another?

6. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I seen contact at least 5 times. My vote is that she did go into space. The head honchos did not tell her about the amount of static they got from the recording. That was the proof that she was gone for a longer period of time vs the seconds it took to drop ball into the net. That a$$ hole guy knew the truth but decided to play dumb. Instead they continued to fund her research. Freaking loved that movie.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

That, CONTACT, was a great movie. I'm hoping Steven Spielberg make a sequel to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I want to know what happened to all those people that boarded that spaceship at the end.

Keeping to the topic at hand, I'd like to know if OP exchanged his 5S for a new one.

8. DCIFRTHS thread starter macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Thanks for nothing.

9. DCIFRTHS, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

DCIFRTHS thread starter macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

It works, but some weird behavior... Been having a bunch of crashes in SETTINGS. For example: When disabling iAd tracking, the entire SETTINGS app crashes, and I get returned to the home screen. Also, had a weird battery issue that I will post below.

It also concerns me that a, supposedly new, $300 device has 20 hours of use recorded on it.

10. DCIFRTHS thread starter macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I haven't made the decision to return it yet, so I didn't even bring it up when I was in the Apple store. The person I spoke with did mention that if anything went wrong with it, I was covered under warranty, so I'm guessing that it will be an issue that I will have to push. If it comes down to it, I will return the whole purchase for a refund - but I'm guessing that I have to do that within 14 days cause the carrier will probably keep me locked in to the contract if I go more than 14 days. Not sure how this works...

Due to their extended holiday return policy, my receipt has a mid-January "Return Date" printed on it. I wonder if this means that they will give me a new replacement as opposed to a white box until that January date? If I wait, I lose my "out" with being able to completely cancel the entire sale for a refund.

I tend to agree with you - that it's a resale - another possibility is that, during assembly, it didn't pass QC, and it was fixed before it was shipped. Maybe this is why Apple could sell it as new phone?

My only concern with returning it is that I don't want to get a replacement device that has something else wrong with it - bad home button, screen issues, buttons that feel mushy etc. Also, I saw a lot of people making returns in the Apple store when I was there. I'm concerned that they are going to be repackaging non-defective returns, and reselling them.

11. DCIFRTHS thread starter macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Look at the battery percentage, and then at the time since last full charge. Not good. A reboot did make the battery level indicator show 99%, but with the crashes I've been getting in SETTINGS, and the 20 hours of use (right out of the box) I'm concerned.

Attached Files:

12. matttye macrumors 601

Ask Apple to swap it for a new device. I'm sure they will do.

13. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

Just like cars phones have usage indicators. You've been scammed by Apple. I would suggest you hire an expensive lawyer. Or you could not be OCD about something so trivial and focus your energy on things that matter.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Exchange it under warranty especially if it's not working for you.

15. DCIFRTHS thread starter macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

OR... you could not post here and focus your energy on more important things than trying to belittle people you know nothing about.

--------------------------------------

I'm leaning toward doing this. Thanks!

16. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Since it was purchased at an Apple store they should just exchange it for you. Also, you could just do another factory reset. I had to do a reset after the latest iOS update because I was having some crashes too and now they've gone away.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

If purchased from Apple and returned within 30 days (Apple's return date policy), they will give you brand new. Usually, if it's returned during the warranty period, you may receive refurbished. If you decide to do an exchange, inspect the phone right there and then in front of the sales person, so that, if dissatisfied, he/she can get you another unopened box.

18. mpantone, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

My guess is that your particular unit went through some extended testing by the manufacturer (e.g., Foxconn) who inadvertently neglected to completely reset your device.

While I doubt that every single unit undergoes through a comprehensive burn-in period, it is likely that Foxconn does random spot checks to verify their manufacturing process for consistency as part of their QA process, as well as a check of part batches from individual component suppliers.

Note that there are occasional reports of unusual stickers and even cosmetic damage to freshly-unboxed devices.

These things don't come from eggs. Final assembly is performed by humans and there is some sort of manual QA process involved.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal.

19. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's as good a guess as you'll get.

Is the phone JB'd?

20. mpantone macrumors 6502

Why are you asking if the phone was jailbroken?

Contract manufacturers don't jailbreak phones to test them. The OP claims the box was factory sealed.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wonder if anyone else has noticed anything like this? I might expect an hour or two testing, but 20 seems like a lot. Maybe they are run through testing via machine? That would explain a lot.

But were there contacts on the phone? pictures? any other indications that someone might have used it?

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just like many manufacturers, Apple conducts quality checks on random units. Your unit may have had tests run on it.

Also, it may also be the case of forgetting to reset settings after having initially charged the device.

23. Lammercy macrumors regular

This is the best answer this entire post has gotten so far. OP should follow this advice.

24. mpantone macrumors 6502

My guess is that the testing is done by a special app installed by the contract manufacturer (created by Apple) that will run through a particular suite of tests.

In the case of this handset, it might have been an automated series of voice calls (50 min. call followed by 10 min. of off-hook for 24 hours = 20 hrs. of call time) from the testing app. The test might include some SMS/MMS tests as well.

Remember that Apple is a Fortune 5 company, and they probably have the engineering prowess to create adequate testing tools for their devices. We already know that they have field test modes for their handsets. It's not realistic to assume that there's some test monkey engineer poking screens for 24-48 hours. This stuff would largely be automated.

It is likely that the testing app will do a device history cleanup at the end of the testing suite, perhaps in this case it was interrupted or exited prematurely, leaving a trace of the testing.

In any case, it'll never be known for sure.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

OP was asking an interesting and legitimate question.