why would anybody get a pre now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fratboy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. fratboy macrumors regular

ok with the new iphone 3G S annouced it completely blows the pre out of the water hands down .. and is NOT a competitor

for one if you want a pre its 199 AFTER mail in rebate and only gets 8GB of storage

for 199 with the 3G S you get 16GB of storage.. without mail in rebate

and for 100$ more than the pre you can get 4x the storage than the pre offers with the 32GB iphone 3g s...

and no video recording on the pre.. Crappier interface... .. i think i have proven my point .. sorry palm sorry sprint.. sucks to see you die away but its going to happen

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I agree - maybe if you really really like a hardware keyboard.

I think Palm needed an exclusive deal with Verizon to really compete.

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Stuck on Sprint Network and the Pre is best phone on Sprint.? Also, some people just hate ATT.

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I agree, I've even heard the Keyboard sucks.

Im sure Palm Pimp has something different to say :D.

5. racers macrumors regular

even if you like a hard keyboard the one the pre has looks horrible

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

It's a the best first effort at competing with the iPhone. It's not an iPhone killer IMO. Basically I see the Pre ideal for people who refuse/can't to go to ATT. Putting pressure on Apple and ATT though I think is good for us all.

7. cube macrumors G5

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

For $100 more than the Pre you could get a 32GB SDHC card and have 40GB of storage on the phone. Just sayin'.

The Pre is a fine phone, and a great choice for folks on Sprint or who, for whatever reason, don't want an iPhone. Quit being such a fanboy.

9. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

The only reason why people even care about the Pre is because they want something to compare the iPhone to. Notice how every Pre article mentions the iPhone. I haven't found one article about the Pre not mentioning the iPhone. The iPhone on the other hand can stand on it's own without being needed to be compared to anything.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Almost identical hardware but with unrestricted multi-tasking, physical keyboard, and nice OS. For some people, it could be their cup of tea.

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I know someone who has a pre. His choice was simple. He is a sprint customer and doesn't want to change. It's about time though that sprint has a released a solid phone. He loves that thing.

Also, his phone plan is cheaper than my iphone plan. To some people that's really important as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons people are buying pre's over iphones. Those were just two examples. It's not always about which phone is better you know. It's about which phone is better for you and your needs.

12. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I dont no why people hate ATT so much. I live outside of Cleveland, Ohio and i always have 4-5 maybe 3 sometimes all the time unless im in my basement. I have never had a dropped call ever in my 10+ years on ATT.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would want a Pre even before the 3GS release. I speak for those not staying on a certain carrier, mainly those looking for a new phone regardless of provider.

I'm sorry but I used one for about an hour and just wasn't impressed. It felt cheap, I hated the keyboard, the sliding mechanism just felt chunky at best and the OS was confusing and unintuitive.

It may be able to multitask, but that wasn't enough to sell me on that little clunker.

I didn't like the Pre at all, and instead upgraded my 3G to a 3GS.

14. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

The Pre is mostly selling to Spring customers, around like 80% of Pre buyers are existig Sprint customers.

15. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I think the Pre's GUI is a lot more attractive than the iPhone but that's all it has going for it.

16. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I agree.

I also think people could get a Pre (or even a G1) for just being fed up with AT&T. AT&T got a lot of deserved hate during and after this past keynote. Along with their gouging prices, one would think Apu Nahasapeemapetilon was the CEO.

17. ===== macrumors newbie

18. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I disagree with crappier interface. I think the Pre has the nicest interface of any device yet. Also, Sprint service is about $20-30 less per month and has a faster network. Add that to the fact that I never had a dropped call from Sprint and I think the Pre makes sense to most people. Just so everyone understands my perspective and doesn't flame me...I've been a Sprint customer for 3 years and I just preordered the iphone. I want to try something new. I just hate when people bash products/companies they have no experience with.

19. racers macrumors regular

isn't sprint rated as one of the worst cell carriers?

20. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

as far as customer service, yes.

21. slapppy macrumors 65816

Plastic screen vs Optical Grade Glass Oleophobic Coating Screen, CPU/GPU same as the pre, Open GL/ES 2.0, iTunes, Movies, Video PodCast, Audio PodCast, TV Shows, Music, Music Videos, iTunes University, iTunes Latino, 50 thousand apps, High End 3D accelerated Games, High End App, Dock Connector API to add even more freaking features thats going to be fun to find out along with BT API, MobileMe +, Apps open and switch instantly now, superior battery life........ why would one want a Pre or compare it?

22. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Well the Pre is still a good phone all around, it's quite robust like the iPhone but without the benefit of thousands of apps to get. People will still like it though because of the physical keyboard, because they're stuck with Sprint, removable/swappable battery, etc. Supposedly Sprint's 3G network runs better than AT&Ts, possible because AT&T has more people on theirs, and also Sprint will have the first 4G network which Pre users will be able to take advantage of.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It certainly makes it more difficult for palm to sell the PRE but the 99 iPhone isn't a pre killer.

There are reasons why people will still choose the PRE over the Iphone. Here's my unsorted list:

Hates apple, yes there are people who don't like apple. They choose the zune instead of an iPod, or a dell instead of an iMac etc.

Hates ATT, some people have been burned by the carrier and so they avoid them like the plague.

Likes the palm form factor, its a smaller phone. While my wife loves her iPhone, I totally can see her liking and using the PRE more then the iPhone, partly because of the size and partly the physical keyboard

Speaking of the keyboard, there are folks who prefer that over the virtual keyboard.

palm fanboys. I've owned many palm pilots and my favorite was the T3 and if they came out the the PRE 2 years ago, I'd have that instead of the iPhone

WebOs fans, they like the interface and/or features of the webos over the iPhone.

Different devices for different folks. One size doens't fit all and so the PRE will find a user base. I think that user base is going to be a lot smaller now that apple has the $99 iPhone

24. Razeus macrumors 601

Sprint & Palm are going to have to drop their price. 8GB for $299 before rebate is insane. Especially given a crap network that is Sprint, a failing company that is Palm, and uncertainty about the Pre platform (are we going to see the Pre in the similar form factor, or will Palm put WebOS on different styled phones?)

25. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i cant wait for the pre or another webOS device to hit AT&T

i would also like to see a few android devices get pulled on AT&T to really beef up the competition with the iPhone.