Why Would Apple Not include Second Generation Touch Id in the 9.7" iPad Pro ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, May 20, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I guess this is a a little late to ask because it is more than 2 months now that the 9.7" iPad Pro came out. But What do you guys think about Apple's decision to not to include the second generation touch Id into it, can it be a deciding factor for anyone before buying it, I mean is there anyone who would not buy the 9.7" iPad Pro only for not having the Second Generation Touch Id. I mean why would Apple not include the second generation touch id in its most advanced 9.7" Pro iPad ? Still considering Points like these for e.g. not having 4GB RAM, Not having the Second Generation Touch Id before buying. Still holding it out before taking the plunge ! Any thoughts ? Suggestions ?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm speculating that Apple didn't upgrade the RAM and Touch ID because they put more money into upgrading the screen and camera. In particular, I think that going with the camera upgrade over RAM was a poor choice. However, despite these grievances I bought the 9.7 pro and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Of course, coming from an iPad 3 there was a low bar for me.

3. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Prolly the same reason it only has USB 2 instead of putting USB 3 in there; higher profit margins.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Profit margins and preventing it from cannibalizing sales of other models.

By omitting features, buyers must choose which product they want based on which features matter most to them.

Apple is returning to a strategy that requires a product matrix or comparison chart for feature comparisons.

It's a previously failed strategy. But not everyone learns from the past.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Apple is all about the profit margins, but its catching up to them... customers are catching on and are starting to complain with their wallets, wall street is catching on.... Apple is going to keep making money hand over fist but their reputation is going to take a huge hit if they keep dripping out small incremental updates to their customers.

6. ericwn macrumors 6502a

That little rant has not much if anything to do with the topic here. We are not having another silly "Apple is doomed" chat here.
    I have devices with both a first generation and the later fingerprint sensor, in real life they have no advantage over another from what I see. YMMV.

7. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Faster locking unlocking ?

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My guess is that Apple simply doesn't have enough of the 2nd Touch-ID sensors to sustain multiple product lines beyond the iPhone. Likewise, the 6S using the newer sensors means there is now a glut of 1st-gen sensors available, and it makes sense to continue using them in existing products until Apple can reliably supply sufficient quantities of the former.

Having owned and used the 9.7" iPad Pro since launch day, my experience is that the iPad Pro is a very speedy device that will more than tear through whatever task you throw at it. The 2gb of ram might be an issue years down the road when a future software update proves too much for it to continue working efficiently, but for now, I am thoroughly enjoying my iPad Pro. It's Touch-ID might be a hair slower than on my 6S+, but honestly, it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the device so far.

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah but not including the second generation Touch ID is something Apple is surely underplaying ! Not fair !

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sure. But we are having a conversation here, right? So it seems to me that once you tell us you haven't bought it yet, then it's reasonable for us to keep talking based on that statement until you inform us that the situation has changed.

11. ericwn macrumors 6502a

Have you read what I wrote about not seeing the advantage in real life? That is what I meant. For me this is a total non-issue.

12. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Then don't buy it?

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

.....This

As far as the 2 GB RAM, the pattern Apple has shown is that they upgrade RAM every 2 generations. People LOVED the upgrade to 1GB RAM on the iPad 4 dubbed, the "NEW iPad" and complained the first iPad Air only had 1GB RAM. Then they upgraded the Air 2 to the 2 GB RAM and everybody loved it. Now the complaints are 2GB RAM are not enough for the Pro. In real world experience, I personally have not found the Pro to be under powered with the 2GB, I have not experienced page refreshes. I have found the processor to be a little zippier than my Air 2, but I also didn't purchase my Pro based on Specs, the Air 2 was plenty powerful that I could had held onto it for another year or 2. The support for the Apple Pencil, Keyboard, and increased capacity were my main points for buying. We all have our features that attract us to certain devices. I have said from the beginning, if there is no intention to get the Apple Pencil or Keyboard, the differences are not night and day enough to upgrade to the Pro.

14. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

In this case, knowing that it's using an older TouchID will be the only thing that will put a negative on it. It's not like the old TouchID takes 5 additional seconds to log in. Saying you won't buy the iPad because you want to unlock the screen 1 second faster for a tablet (versus a cell which you're more likely to go on/off) does sound silly.

It's not so much the "why isnt there the latest TouchID" as it is "why isn't there the latest". In which case, you're pretty screwed - the iPad line is a frickin mix.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I never said Apple is doomed, if you read my post carefully I said Apple will keep making money hand over fist. they are far from being doomed they have too much cash reserves and are still a strong brand... I was simply stating that Apple skimps on features and is slow to update components of new devices in order to increase their profit margins... I think that is very much relevant to this topic, and how that is not obvious to you is really beyond me.

16. augustya, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I am wondering how many guys have not opted or have not decided to buy the 9.7" iPad Pro because of not having second generation Touch ID ? Would that be and should that be any criteria at all ? Done guys are saying it didn't matter ? Does it make any difference people having both kind of devices with first generation and second generation Touch ID (guys having the iPhone 6 and 6S) can maybe say the real difference !

17. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

The SE has first gen and Apple has said they can't keep up with the demand.
    While not an identical situation, I think parallels can be drawn.

However, if you're looking for a reason not to buy, this is as good as any I guess.

18. joeblow7777, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I understand wanting the best of the best for your money, but really, worrying about my device taking a full second to recognize my fingerprint and unlock rather than half a second doesn't seem important to me at all. I can't imagine why this would be a deal breaker for anyone.

19. RedOrchestra Suspended

Unbelievable nonsense.

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Again you come here to get yourself embarrassed !! Why do you even read this ?? if you don't wanna subscribe to what is being discussed here !!

21. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I can gaurentee they have, not due to the functionality of the 2nd generation Touch ID but more the blatant greed and intentional oversights .customers hard earned money means nothing to them . They have always Been about stockpiling cash and it's really starting to effect their products now. They NEVER go above and beyond to innovate anymore. They do just enough to sell a lot and then 6-12 months later just enough to screw the people who just bought the last product. I've been an apple fan boi since 2008 and I'm finally wise to their little tricks. With jobs gone it's a failing crap company that makes pretty good products. I've never had as many issues with software as I have in the last 1-2 years. And inovation is non exisistant,I wonder why.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$

22. Hevelius macrumors member

It's a minor annoyance if you have another device with 2nd gen Touch ID but certainly not a deal breaker in my case. I seriously doubt that anyone with use cases that clearly justify buying the Pro models would refuse for the lack of a 2nd gen Touch ID.

23. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah I mean the second generation Touch ID is Zippy and faster.

24. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Funny you should say that. I have an iPhone 6 Plus as my work phone and an iPhone 6S Plus as my personal phone (in other words, I wear thigh protectors every weekday). Is second gen TouchID useful? Heck yes it is. The main reason for it is because I'm not always looking at my phone. Having to log in quick with my 6S is much nicer and faster for the repeated times I do compared to the 6 (which is why it's relegated to work phone but I digress).

On the iPad Pro, I'm not checking back to it very often. In fact, it's more one and done. No urgency. No repeated logins over a short period of time over a long period of the day. I don't miss the new TouchID at all on the iPad. Hence, having the second gen TouchID on it isn't as important. It just doesn't fit the bill for what the product is.

25. RedOrchestra Suspended

How would you know that since you only have a 4s ?