WHY would you want an iPhone NANO?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I just don't see the benefit of it.

People say it will cost less... That will only happen if it is a very dumbed down phone

People say smaller is always better... Not when it comes to screen size. I don't want the iphone any smaller, maybe slightly thinner, but that's about it.

People say choice is good... Not if it lessens the quality of the original iphone line. We don't want them wasting resources on a useless product...

I'm just not sure who this product is targeting... or the point of it...

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

an keep in mind that if the screen is smaller... this will cause a huge problem in the App Store and for iPhone Programmers.

3. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I'm on your boat. I see no point for it and it's supposed smaller screen.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

There's really no way to know the answer to this question until (or if) it comes out. It all depends on what features are added or removed.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would assume that they will be using the same resolution in both screens so that apps could run on both versions without change.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Exactly how the iPod Nano is. It has a smaller screen than the iPod Classic, but they both have the same resolution.

7. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

i still agree...there's no point of it..
    Well we just gotta wait and see what Apple has in store for us :apple::rolleyes:

8. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

*I* wouldn't. Neither would most anyone who currently has or wants an iPhone.

But for all of use, there are others who want a basic cell phone + iPod. That's it. They don't care about internet access, google maps, a data plan, etc. They definitely don't want to pay $30 extra a month for the data connection. They just want to be able to carry their music player and cell phone with them all day. By combining both into a new product that has a more reasonable monthly cost, Apple could potentially sell to a new audience.

Alec

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

if that is the case, then i guess that makes sense. I've never owned a nano so i've never compared the screen. it just seems that everything would have to be smaller and it would still make it harder to use...

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

BECAUSE...

It's from APPLE, silly.... :D

Long lines at the Apple Store and AT&T!!! :eek:

11. kolax macrumors G3

I doubt they would be able to get a screen smaller than the current iPhone with 166 PPI (or whatever the current one is).

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

By the exact same logic: who would want an iPod Nano? All it is a very dumbed down iPod Touch.

The fact is, not everyone wants or needs a smartphone. Not everyone wants, needs, or can afford, the $30/month commitment for an iPhone data plan.

The fact is, dumb phones still outsell smart phones.

So yeah, while you or I (or, likely, the majority of users on this forum) would not want an iPhone Nano, I do think there is a market out there for one. If people are buying iPod Nanos, and people are buying crappy Nokia headsets, doesn't it follow logically that people would buy an iPod Nano with a phone in it?

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's not a good comparison at all. The comparison would be the iPod Nano to the iPod Classic.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Because this is Apple we are talking about.

They aren't just another mobile phone company. The iPhone is has outstanding technologies in it and I doubt Steve would ever let any of those slide away and release a diddy version.

The iPhone - all or nothing. Nout inbetween.

15. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I agree with others that there IS a huge market for the iPhone Nano, as long as it's a "feature phone" like the LG Dare or the Samsung Glide, which limits data connectivity to the point that AT&T can sell it without the data plan. The data plan is the single biggest roadblock to more people getting an iPhone.

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

'Cause it'll be $0 with a $10/month plan.

Right guys? That's the logical, realistic reason why it's coming, right?

17. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

And what sort of idiot would buy 2 or 3 iPhones too? 'I have an iPhone, and a 3G. I will now be fooled by cheap selling tactics and buy this new one!' :rolleyes:

18. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

What this guy said. I highly doubt Apple with release an "iPhone Nano" that is the exact same product as the iPhone 3G except at a smaller size.

19. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

but see i don't really see apple being able to make an iphone nano cheap enough to keep it at a MAXIMUM of $200 (100 would be much more appropriate) with NO required data plan, with enough memory to satisfy the ipod crowd (would need 16gb and 32gb I would imagine. for a device intended to be a phone ipod instead of the current phone internet browser)

But if they could produce a phone that is $100-200 with no required data plan, then yes i could see how people might want one. but in all honesty.. why even make it smaller? I'd just keep it at the same size so then you could have more memory and use cheaper parts.... but then it's not an iphone nano anymore.. just an iphone basic

20. dranakin macrumors 6502

So, are you saying the iPod Nano is a "diddy" version of the iPod [Classic]? Not worthy of the 'iPod' name?

Also, the iPhone technologies aren't exclusive to its line. Apple put the accelerometer in other products, such as the iPod Nano. The iPhone's touch screen was a testing ground for the new glass trackpad that they put in the Macbook line.

Apple is a company that seeks to make a profit. Nothing more, nothing less. If they release a more consumer friendly, entry-level phone that works well, can compete with the cheap Nokia phones, and can find a market for it, sales could potentially skyrocket because as said earlier, not everyone needs a smartphone. Get over it.

That said, I don't really see one coming. Even the free phones nowadays can play MP3s, take pictures/videos, and surf WAP sites. I'm not sure what more you can take away from the iPhone.

21. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I also think the iphone nano is a waste of time, first they should focus on better battery, stability, and features of the current iphone for future models.

22. nfl46 macrumors 603

Smaller device.

But if it has limited features compared to the 3G iPhone, then I don't know.

HaHa! I'll love for it to have flash and all the other goodies on it that the 3G iPhone doesn't have. I bet people will be thinking twice about getting the Nano then.

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

Maybe it'll have it own set of apps and developers will start from scratch with new apps for the Nano only. :apple:

24. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

is that a joke? that would fail miserably.. why start over? do you expect to have the same boom as from the app store? do u know how confusing that would be to have 2 app stores?

25. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Maybe it's just bullsh|t, stirred up by mischievous folks, so people have something to talk about, pre MacWorld? :D