Why your must wait for Nahelm CPU for MAC PRO

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jgbr, Nov 25, 2007.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Let's face it guys: Apple wont re design the mac pro for penryn. The exisiting Motherboard and systel will take it.

However they will have to redesign for Nahelm as its requires new motherboard and Ram etc.

It would be foolish for any producer to redesign for an outdated design with a completely new factor and cpu design coming in 8 months later.

So my suggestion is wait for the new 45nm Arch then doordle with 65nm rehash.

I DO have more info on this topic!

PENRYN - EXISITNG "G" DESIGN

NAHELM - NEW CONCEPT DESIGN LIKE iMac TO IMAC

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you for sharing this info, something about which I knew nothing. This will definitely affect my buying decision!

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. There is no such thing as a Nahelm processor, and there is no such thing planned by anyone. Intel, on the other hand, is working on a new processor design called "Nehalem", which should be available in about a years time. In that time frame, nobody knows the exact date.

2. Waiting for Apple for a design that is one year away would be nonsense. Everyone else would be ahead of Apple for one full year. Apple would get slaughtered, not only by the fans on MacRumors, but by everyone.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A newbie with information on an update, add that to the ever increasing pile.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yes, the professionals buy the Mac Pro based on looks and not how it performs.

Shocker...

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

If Apple takes another 16 months to update after this next one...

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Penryn doesn't NEED to have a new platform, but it will greatly benefit from SS. I highly doubt Apple will use the existing motherboard in the new Mac Pro. If we look at the iMac it got what? Santa Rosa? And it received a case refresh. Hell they completely switched architectures and they didn't really change any of their products.

This nonsense that there needs to be a major change in order for a product to receive a new design carries no weight. They are completely independent of one another and just because there are examples of when the two may have coincided doesn't mean they have to, because there are examples of when the two have not.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The majority of people buying a Mac Pro don't give a monkies if it is redesigned or not. The only possible exception to this is people wanting more PCIe slots or hard drive bays. The rest are purely going to be interested in speed and functionality.

Apple will update the Mac Pro for Penryn + SS based systems because the only other alternative would be a PR disaster.

9. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess I must be in the Class of Performance driven and Common Sense.

Id rather have a 8core Mac Pro with DDR3 Then an Old bit of tech deemed new just because its smaller and case look different.

So in conclusion to those like minded: Timing your new buy will be far more important then looks.

PS: ROOKIE? I have watched Macrumours since it started and I have also worked within Apple for a part of my Career,So I would rather understand how my old Pal's will be for producing "Maxiumum bang for buck".

The existing system can take penryn, 8 months later, the new CPU design dawns, It would be too much fiscal outlay to change it twice in one year! Therefore expecting little change for Penryn and larger for the next CPU,would be logical.

10. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

The only other path is to do a Huge update for penryn that supports a later update however I would still feel foolsih buying a machine that will change to a Newer and far superior model 8 months later.

PENRYN 45NM SHRINK OF EXISTING CPU

NAHELEAM 0 45NM NEW CORE DESIGN

INTEL TICK TOCK CPU SYSTEM

PENRYN: POOR RAM, LOW GRAPHICS CARDS

N: DDR3, TOP NOTCH GRAPHICS

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Caps lock may be cruise control for cool, but even with cruise control you need to steer. Stop capsing or we'll think you're trolling. If you want to be taken seriously, punctuate and spell-check. Bold or italicize if you want to make a point. Oh, and have fun, man.

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yes Nehalem will be better, but we don't know if Nehalem will be delayed or what. Penryn is here now.

Plus, yes Nehalem is a new arhciteture. But Penryn is much more than a die shrink it also introduces SSE4 among other things. So it is much more than a die shrink.

DDR3 currently does not best DDR2 due to its high latency. That may change by next year or course but it really isn't the "best" right now.

Lastly, top notch graphics? Compared to what right now? Duh. You can call the graphics cards that end up in Penryn systems poor in relation to the Nehalem Mac Pro. But when it comes out it will have top notch graphics.

What makes you think that Nehalem will cause a paradigm shift inside Apple to have ultra amazing cards? What you are saying is illogical.

13. ideasman69 macrumors member

ideasman69

stuff that - if every one went off the "wait 8 months for the new one" then no one would buy anything.

i dont care about the case design - as long as i get my quad mac pro asap. i've got the money and want apple to take it.

14. Nightfall macrumors newbie

Penryn in Jan. 08 with SS and then Nahalem with no FSB 10 to 12 months later is a reasonable (perhaps even too long) spread of time for two big changes to bring most bang for their buck. On the other hand who says anything should be or will be reasonable.:D

15. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

I was thinking the exact same thing this whole time.:)

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Second attempt, still didn't get the processor name right. Copy and Paste is your friend if you can't spell. And when that little green light is on on the caps lock key, press it again so you can write like a normal human being.

17. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

if people don't know this how intel runs their products...

one year..... (die shrink)
    Next Year 1.....(new architecture)
    next year 2.....(die shrink of new architecture)
    Next year 3....(new architecture)
    and the cycle moves forward.

Hi-K dielectric is the new thing now for intel. I have friends that work in the chipset department, man do they work their buttoff.

18. wentwj macrumors regular

... I can never tell if people like this don't understand computers at all, or understand them JUST enough to make stupid decisions.

Yes there's a new processor coming out in a year, however we have NO idea how long it'll take apple to update the mac pros once this happens. And of course by the time that comes out, there'll be some other significantly better chip a year down the road. Intel isn't going to just go "Yup, that's it! That's the last processor we're ever making!"

If you don't need a Mac Pro this year, then sure wait, but if you need one (or hell, even if you just REALLY want one) there's no sense waiting for tech thats a year off (projected now, who knows that delays there will be).

The current model is good enough for what I want to do with it, but I'm still holding off hoping to get into eight cores more affordably (plus i'm not looking to buy until early next year anyway).

The "don't buy the machine! something new is coming in a year!" argument is nonsense. A year is a large enough time scale that something new will ALWAYS be coming in a year. Now if we were months away from a confirmed ship date, that'd be a different story.

19. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Hey Rookie..

Dude, your writing style just screams BS.. It's really obvious.
    And go ahead and wait for Nehalem.. Good for you, but please don't feel the need to ram your nonsense in our faces.

Best Regards.. :)

20. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Yeah. Although there is no ship date for Harpertown MPs, I'm going to wait instead of getting a Clovertown. I "believe" in my heart they are not too far off and if I really feel like I want a Nehalem MP later in the year, I'll sell my Penryn MP and buy a Nehalem MP and eat the loss.

But like someone else posted, Nehalem comes out next year. A Nehalem Mac Pro is a different story and given Apple's pure hatred of Mac Pro users and basically everyone besides iDorks --that is unlikely.

Why not wait for the 32n Sandy Bridge Mac Pro (or whatever they'll call) coming out in (who knows) 2010?

My general theory is if Apple is 14 months into the product cycle of a product you want, then wait.

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Ok nOObie, go to Apple's online store right now and show me "maximum bang for buck" on the Mac Pro page.

What?

Oh yeah, that's right. It isn't there. :rolleyes:

22. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

ROFL!!!! How true:D

23. seany916 macrumors 6502

24. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Could you (this minute) go to newegg.com and build an 8 core Clovertown PC workstation for under $3,997.

I think that defines the bang for buck argument better.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I priced a comparable system at:$3,862.21... I'd spend a $135 to have the Apple name and have them build it.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Shopping Cart
    Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
    1 LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner $37.99
    1 APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500 ATX $169.99
    1 Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s $79.99
    1 BFG Tech BFGE73512GT GeForce 7300GT 512MB $107.99
    1 Logitech Keyboard $29.99
    1 Logitech Mouse $5.25
    1 SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DVA-E-O Dual 771 $339.99
    2 Intel Xeon X5365 Clovertown 3.0GHz $2,537.98
    1 Microsoft Windows XP Pro/SP2 $139.99
    1 Crucial 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 667 $89.99

Subtotal: $3,536.15

Tax: $291.73

Shipping: $34.33

Grand Total: $3,862.21

25. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

Now wait a minute, you can't count the almost $300 of tax as part of the cost of the system! Taxes vary. You have to compare apples to apples, so to speak. The real question is, would you pay $425 to have Apple build it? :D