Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaikidan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
I saw this new macbook pro 13" and a question come to my mind, wich device has the better sounding speaker? iPad Pro or Macbook pro?

both have similar CPU and GPU performance, and people always compare one with another in those "can an ipad be used as a notebook replacement" videos, but as far as I remember, I never saw anyone compare the audio quality between the two. does they sound similar? is the macbook better?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
go to the mall and try it out.
bring your own music and confirm it for your self

likely few here have the latest hardware of both devices to develop a comparison

Reactions: ericwn

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
all these units (MB MBP, iPad) are as thin as a tortilla bet the drivers are super duper medium quality
things that are louder will sound better

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
all these units (MB MBP, iPad) are as thin as a tortilla bet the drivers are super duper medium quality
things that are louder will sound better
While these aren’t high end audiophile speakers obviously, the quad speakers in my 10.5” iPad Pro sound noticeably better than most Windows laptops at 3X the thickness.

They really are very decent for such thin and portable devices.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I saw this new macbook pro 13" and a question come to my mind, wich device has the better sounding speaker? iPad Pro or Macbook pro?

both have similar CPU and GPU performance, and people always compare one with another in those "can an ipad be used as a notebook replacement" videos, but as far as I remember, I never saw anyone compare the audio quality between the two. does they sound similar? is the macbook better?
I’d say the iPad Pro 12.9 inch. It sounds so good! :)

Reactions: Ghost31

keedtalktoem

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020

Uh OK so, I just compared between my iPad and the MacBook and I gotta say the MacBook blows the iPad out of the water. It sounds more like surround sound and the bass is less tinny.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I can compare only my 2018 15" MBP and 2017 10.5" iPP. Both are excellent. The MBP is more expansive, if that makes any sense and louder, if that matters, but both have great articulation for device speakers.

Whatever difference there is between the two would have no bearing on my choosing one or the other. Other criteria/needs would determine that. Like I said, both are excellent for computing device speakers.

MrgG11

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021

Little late, but here is my experience. The MacBook can get little louder and there's more separation on the Mac. So I can hear details that I can't on my iPad but, I feel like the speakers themselves are still better on the iPad. They include more bass, and louder highs and vocals. So idk, I feel like both are better and worse at the same time.

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I have both. They do sound different but can't say one is better than the other as it's objective.
In terms of detail and sound stage they are quite similar, but macbook sounds a lot warmer and has a bit more lowend whereas the iPad sounds a bit thinner, but details sparkle in songs. I like them both, but personally prefer the macbook sound.

Andygao

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2023
Based on the device i have , my experiences are : 2011 21 inches iMac > 2021 11 inches iPad Pro >2015 15.4 inches MacBook Pro >2017 ipad (two speakers) > 2021 iPhone 13 pro

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Since this old thread has been resuscitated, I'll add my experience with my devices.
The M1 12.9 has louder/fuller speakers than the 2018-2020 12.9". The 12" MacBook (2017) is in between the 2, but closer to the M1. The 11" iPad is below any 12.9".
Let also add the Tab S8 ultra to the mix, which is, like the 12" MacBook, better than the 2018 12.9 but slightly less full than the M1 12.9.
They are all of course quite close.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
With the new MBPs the game has changed. The 2021-2023 14"/16" MacBooks Pros have vastly superior speakers vs. the 2018-2022 11"/12.9" iPad Pros.
yes, while the M1 iPad pro beats the Apple Silicon Macbook air (which is roughly on par with the 12" Macbook), the new 14" and especially 16" MBPs are on another league.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Unrelated, but I initially thought the 2015 13” Retina MacBook Pro’s speakers were decent. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is infinitely better than both the MacBook, and an iPad released 6 years later: the latest iPad Air 5.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
It’s alright, I don’t use my device speakers that much as it has way less bass than my Bluetooth Sony XB43 and JBL BoomBox, I only use my iPhone/iPad speakers when my AirPods are charging, or I just wanna let my ear relaxed.. or I’m too lazy to get up and turn on my Boombox.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It’s alright, I don’t use my device speakers that much as it has way less bass than my Bluetooth Sony XB43 and JBL BoomBox, I only use my iPhone/iPad speakers when my AirPods are charging, or I just wanna let my ear relaxed.. or I’m too lazy to get up and turn on my Boombox.
“Which of these two is better?”
“No idea I don’t have these for comparison and pretty much rely on a boombox”

Got ya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.