Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Widgets in iPadOS 14 Limited to Today View in Landscape Mode

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 14 for iPhone and iPod touch, widgets can be pinned in different sizes on any home screen page, providing useful information at a glance. The same can't be said for iPad.

In iPadOS 14, the use of widgets is limited to the Today View sidebar that only appears on the first screen of apps when viewing in landscape mode. When viewed in portrait mode, Widgets disappear along with the Today View and the user's apps are automatically rearranged in a typical grid to fill the screen.

In other respects, Widgets in iPadOS 14 share the same new functionality as widgets in iOS 14. Users can create a Smart Stack of widgets, which uses machine learning to surface the right widget based on time, location, and activity. Widgets also can be customized for work, travel, sports, entertainment, and other areas of interest.

Currently, the App Library feature is missing in iPadOS 14, although it could possibly appear in a later beta. Apart from this and the limitation of widgets, iPadOS 14 shares the same new features as iOS 14, along with some additional ones that make better use of the larger screen, including new interface functionality for stock apps, universal Search, new Apple Pencil features, and more.

Article Link: Widgets in iPadOS 14 Limited to Today View in Landscape Mode

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
This is the most disappointing news from WWDC. I have that large screen real estate and I can't take *full* advantage of this. I wonder what Apple's reasoning behind this could be. Hopefully, it's only an early beta issue. Probably not but one could only hope.

I get the sense that it is coming and its just not ready yet for the first beta.

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I think this is intentional. From Apple's iPadOS Preview page: "Today View widgets have been redesigned to show you more information right from the Home Screen." Dang.

Hmmm I think this language can go either way. The ‘Home Screen’ can be 1 of many screens, AKA widgets can be placed on any of them and be viewed in portrait or landscape.

I have a strong feeling it will be updated.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

sfwalter

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I think this is intentional. From Apple's iPadOS Preview page: "Today View widgets have been redesigned to show you more information right from the Home Screen." Dang.

Yeah, I just read that myself. Fingers crossed it will change. If it stays it means you don't get widgets in portrait mode like iPhones will get.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
This was my biggest disappointment after installing the iPadOS 14 beta. I get why - the “widget sizes” for iPhone and iPad would have to be vastly different. The size between 4 iPad apps on the homescreen is equivalent to 8 iPhone apps, at least.

That plus the fact that iPad didn’t get the new app launcher kind of makes it feel like iPadOS was the loser this year. Yeah, we got the pencil stuff which was sorely needed, but nothing new with multitasking or interaction with the iPad, nothing new for improved background processing.

Mr.Blacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2016
Austria
I don't get why you're telling fairy tales? I am 100% sure, you can swipe to the right on the home screen to show widgets in portrait orientation. You know, you can do this also today?
[automerge]1592914512[/automerge]
Yeah, I just read that myself. Fingers crossed it will change. If it stays it means you don't get widgets in portrait mode like iPhones will get.
Pro tip: Swipe to the right on your home screen. Even works today on iOS 13. 👍

Last edited:

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal

In iOS 14 for iPhone and iPod touch, widgets can be pinned in different sizes on any home screen page, providing useful information at a glance. The same can't be said for iPad.

In iPadOS 14, the use of widgets is limited to the Today View sidebar that only appears on the first screen of apps when viewing in landscape mode. When viewed in portrait mode, Widgets disappear along with the Today View and the user's apps are automatically rearranged in a typical grid to fill the screen.

In other respects, Widgets in iPadOS 14 share the same new functionality as widgets in iOS 14. Users can create a Smart Stack of widgets, which uses machine learning to surface the right widget based on time, location, and activity. Widgets also can be customized for work, travel, sports, entertainment, and other areas of interest.

Currently, the App Library feature is missing in iPadOS 14, although it could possibly appear in a later beta. Apart from this and the limitation of widgets, iPadOS 14 shares the same new features as iOS 14, along with some additional ones that make better use of the larger screen, including new interface functionality for stock apps, universal Search, new Apple Pencil features, and more.

Article Link: Widgets in iPadOS 14 Limited to Today View in Landscape Mode

That was the impression I got when watching the Keynote and a heavy iPad Pro user was disappointed.

I already heavily use search to summon apps, much like I do in the Mac, I’m glad that it got closer to the Spotlight.

I was disappointed that we still cannot create and disband shared spaces (split view)in Exposé. Today the process is cumbersome in many ways. This would solve most of my gripes.

Finally better support for the Magic Mouse. For instance one the Mac if we double tap with two fingers on the Magic Mouse it summons Expose, it’s fast an intuitive. Now in the iPad Pro we need to do a hit and miss features moving the pointer beyond screen ... not practical.

These are obvious things to improve, Apple ... really why delay this?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I don’t like how Apple is half-assing portrait orientation on the iPad. “More icons” looks ridiculous when the iPad is in portrait mode. Might as well just have a big bezel at the top and bottom. I was excited about the widgets, but not if they don’t work like on the iPhone...

mazz0

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
This was my biggest disappointment after installing the iPadOS 14 beta. I get why - the “widget sizes” for iPhone and iPad would have to be vastly different. The size between 4 iPad apps on the homescreen is equivalent to 8 iPhone apps, at least.
That’s a good point. I suppose the widgets could just scale up, if developers don’t update them?

AussieStu

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Feature that done nothing on the MacOS and people stopped using and now another useless feature I wont use. I dont want or need clutter on my screen. Plus Widgets used to take up more Ram usage on the MacOS so im guessing they will do the same in iOS. Still I hope its an option and not forced to use them.
[automerge]1592916772[/automerge]
Everything old is new again

View attachment 926523
Exactly. Ram used and why do I need clutter on my screen? I dont need to see the weather 24/7 or my notes or stocks.. Stupid and a feature I hope I can turn off and not use.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TiggrToo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.