Wife updated her phone...Need help on downgrading

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by volks88, Aug 31, 2010.

1. volks88 macrumors member

I had jailbroken my wife's iphone 4 when she got it a few weeks back. Today when I get home she tells me some of her apps aren't there anymore. I ask what did she do, she tells me she updated her phone. GREAT, I think I remember that I told her not to update her phone. Oh well, now I am trying to figure out how to downgrade firmwares. I hope her files shsh files were saved, which I think they were thru cydia.

So while searching I found these steps:

Step 1: Let’s download your SHSH blobs from Saurik’s server to your computer. To do so, download TinyUmbrella and plug your iPhone in. Select the “Advanced Options” box. Also select the firmware version to which you wish to downgrade. Finally, select “Cydia” under “Request From”. Then hit “Save My SHSH”. This will grab your SHSH files from Saurik’s servers and save them on your computer.

Step 2: Download the firmware to which you wish to downgrade to from our iPhone downloads section. Save it to your desktop.

Step 3: Put your iPhone in DFU Mode. To do so, launch iTunes and plug your iPhone in. Press and hold the Home and Power button together for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, release the Power button while still holding the Home button until iTunes pops up and says it has found an iPhone in recovery Mode.

Step 4: Run TinyUmbrellaand click the “Display SHSHs” button to make sure your SHSH blobs were downloaded to your computer. Once done, click “Start TSS Server”.

Step 5: Now we’re going to restore to the firmware you want. To do so, launch iTunes and plug your iPhone in. Hold to SHIFT key (Windows only) or ALT/Option key (Mac only) while clicking on Restore. Make sure you hold the key while clicking Restore. A window will open. Simply select the firmware you downloaded in step 2.

Step 6: Your iPhone will start the restore process. You will most likely get several errors (error 1011, 1013, and 1015) but that’s ok, don’t worry about those.

Step 7: Finally, we need to get your iPhone out of recovery mode. To do so, simply click “Kick Device Out of Recovery” in TinyUmbrella.

Done!

My question is there something missing from steps 3-5. Itunes is up in step 3 with the iphone plug in. Do I close itunes and uplug before step 5?

I dunno. I never done this part before. I'm used to the 3G iPhone.

Thanks

Billy

2. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi Billy,

I don't see why it matters if iTunes is up or not. Just plug your phone in, naturally iTunes will open by itself, let it be, do what step 3 says to do, which is put your phone I DFU MODE, once there you start the serve in step four, go back to iTunes and hold the keyboard button while pressing restore and select the downgrade firmware file, let it do it's thing, then kick it out of recovery.

Basically it's the same idea as really any downgrade use to be except you worry about your blobs now before going to restore phase.

Thanks
    AE

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey Billy, does she have SHSH's saved for the previous firmware in order to downgrade and JB again?

5. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

You guys are speaking Greek to me. Is there a beginners guide to this SHSH and blob stuff??? Haha

I would love to be able to restore my phone to get that damn rock off my phone but I wouldn't know where to start to get 4.0.1 back.

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Download and run Tinyumbrella:
    1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
    2) check "Advanced Options."
    3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select 4.0.1 firmware.
    4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
    5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
    6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and can downgrade to.
    7) Start "TSS server" and restore through iTunes with firmware shown in #6.
    8) If you phone get stuck during restore, trying "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I dl tinyumbrella on My iMac?
    Once I restore back to 4.0.1 using this method will I have to rejailbreak, and will all of rock and rock extensions be gone??

Sorry for the ignorance. :D

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, once you restore you will have to JB again and install all your cydia stuff again.

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

What's the deal with cydia "possibly" having your SHSH? why's it have some and not others?

What exactly IS SHSH? lol

10. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Yes, download Tinyumbrella to your Mac. Once you restore as new device, the iphone is back to stock which means no JB stuff, ie cydia, rock and so on. Then, you can JB it.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

SHSH blobs are what allows you to downgrade your phone to previous firmware. If you dont have shsh's for 4.0 for example you will never be able to downgrade/restore your phone to that built. Itunes only lets you restore to the latest firmware out. And cydia saves those for you if you screw up and you need to restore your iphone to firmware that can be JB incase you installed Rock and buggy rock extensions :D

12. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Do I do a full restore before all the tiny umbrella stuff or is it all done together?

13. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Not needed. Just follow the instructions I posted.

14. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Ahh ok, it's all making sense now. So how do I know if cydia has my SHSH's?

15. tesilential macrumors regular

Hey this is my first time restoring my iphone.

I saved my 4.0.1 firmware locally with tinyumbrella.

I clicked shift restore in itunes but I cannot browse to the file.

In tinyumbrella I accessed the files, it says they are .shsh, while itunes is browsing for only .ipsw

Where is my shsh stored with tinyumbrella?

16. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

#3-6 in my instruction.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

18. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

SHSH files are not what you restore with. You need to download the 4.0.1 firmware file from somewhere (google) and that's the file you point to in ITunes.

19. tesilential macrumors regular

Thanks, off to google I go!

20. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

21. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

22. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Sweet. Thanks allot for explaining....

What are the risks involved in this? Worse case is I screw up and stuck with 4.0.2??

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will always be able to restore to 4.0.1 no matter how bad you screw up:)

24. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

That's what I like to hear. Hopefully this night shift settles down and I'll have time to read up more on this.

25. tesilential macrumors regular

Hey Applejuiced,

I just tried to restore to 4.0.1, and I got an error at the end saying Restore failed, unknown error.

Now the iphone shows the usb cable pointing to itunes logo.

TinyUmbrella is still running server, and the last entry is "Wrote TSS response"

Also the "kick device out of recovery" button is grayed out.

What did I screw up?