Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Ahh I misunderstood - I thought they were now properly turning the radios off like they do in iOS 10.

Thanks for the confirmation.

It definitely leaves them on. As far as I can tell it will then not reconnect to the same wifi network until you tell it (it may also do so, after you leave range and re-enter again. Can’t test that until morning). For BT it just disconnects any active BT connection. This leaves both radios available for assisted GPS, continuity, watch connections etc.

With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Apple backtrack on this later in the beta cycle and just make them on/off buttons.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It definitely leaves them on. As far as I can tell it will then not reconnect to the same wifi network until you tell it (it may also do so, after you leave range and re-enter again. Can’t test that until morning). For BT it just disconnects any active BT connection. This leaves both radios available for assisted GPS, continuity, watch connections etc.

With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Apple backtrack on this later in the beta cycle and just make them on/off buttons.

Interesting - will look out for your post once you are in a positon to confirm whether it reconnects after leaving and returning, cheers.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Interesting - will look out for your post once you are in a positon to confirm whether it reconnects after leaving and returning, cheers.

I will try to remember to do this tomorrow. Definitely interested in finding out what the rules are myself.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I weirdly feel like there is a good reason for it. It's possible that Bluetooth in the iPhone 8 (or whatever it will be called) will always be on. With a bigger battery, better efficiency and a smaller status bar due to the camera and earpiece cutout, it's possible they won't even display the Bluetooth icon in the status bar anymore because Bluetooth will always be on?
Apple may see it as using such little power, having it on all the time may not be an issue.

Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.