Wifi issues with Macbook Pro withVega Pro 20

MartinDLC13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
New Jersey
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I bought a MacBook Pro 2018 with the i9, 32 GB RAM, Vega Pro 20, and 2 TB of Flash Storage; however, I am having issues with WiFi being slow. I have Verizon Fios 1Gigabit internet connection, which has been reliable. My laptop and iPhone are connected to the Lynksis Velop Tri-Band mesh WiFi system (two nodes). I have performed speed tests and I am only pulling 245 download and 135 upload on my MacBook Pro while my iPhone Max is getting 647 download and 625 upload. I have tried different ways to improve the speed but so far it's been futile. They are both (MacBook Pro and iPhone) connected to the living room node 5 GHz (2 feet away). Can anyone confirm their wifi speeds with the new Vega Pro 20? or has this been an ongoing issue on Mojave? Thank you

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I bought a MacBook Pro 2018 with the i9, 32 GB RAM, Vega Pro 20, and 2 TB of Flash Storage; however, I am having issues with WiFi being slow. I have Verizon Fios 1Gigabit internet connection, which has been reliable. My laptop and iPhone are connected to the Lynksis Velop Tri-Band mesh WiFi system (two nodes). I have performed speed tests and I am only pulling 245 download and 135 upload on my MacBook Pro while my iPhone Max is getting 647 download and 625 upload. I have tried different ways to improve the speed but so far it's been futile. They are both (MacBook Pro and iPhone) connected to the living room node 5 GHz (2 feet away). Can anyone confirm their wifi speeds with the new Vega Pro 20? or has this been an ongoing issue on Mojave? Thank you
Search for Network Utility & look at the wifi info. Check to see if its aggregating at the correct speed for your router. That number reflects how many antennas it is using, not the actual speed. essentially, you will never get more than half of that number when translated correctly.

MartinDLC13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
New Jersey
this is a screenshot. I believe its 54 Mbit/s
[doublepost=1543086348][/doublepost]
Search for Network Utility & look at the wifi info. Check to see if its aggregating at the correct speed for your router. That number reflects how many antennas it is using, not the actual speed. essentially, you will never get more than half of that number when translated correctly.

Sorry for the double post

Attachments

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
[doublepost=1543086348][/doublepost]

Sorry for the double post
Wow, that is way too low. It looks like its connected to a wireless G network, not an N or AC network. Check your router settings.

Also, if you have a G device connected to a N or AC network, everything falls back to G, which is 54 Mbps

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
Try Option-Clicking the WiFi symbol in the menu bar... it should give some tech stats on your connection: whether it is G, N, AC, etc., and the Tx Rate, Noise, RSSI etc. They can help determine connection issues.

Reactions: FrostyF

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Not sure where i am
Try Option-Clicking the WiFi symbol in the menu bar... it should give some tech stats on your connection: whether it is G, N, AC, etc., and the Tx Rate, Noise, RSSI etc. They can help determine connection issues.
How did you know about the option clicking? Is there any more tips, that users could do to self troubleshoot? or for other situations

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this issue with the 2018 MBPro and the Velop. It saying thst there is a compatibility issue, but it’s odd.

As noted, do a site survey (from option clicking the wifi icon) and that will tell you what networks are using which channels. You can then find the channel with the most congestion.

Then when you’ve picked a relatively clear channel, option click again to view the current settings.
[doublepost=1543097724][/doublepost]
Also, if you have a G device connected to a N or AC network, everything falls back to G, which is 54 Mbps

That’s not quite true. Mixed mode 802.11g networks perform closer to 802.11b speeds, but 802.11ac doesn’t work that way. And ac is a 5GHz network, not a 2.4Ghz network. An 802.11ac router using 2.4Ghz is using 802.11ac for 5GHz and 802.11n for the 2.4Ghz space. 802.11n can use both 5GHz and 2.4Ghz. So in an 802.11n 2.4Ghz network which has active 802.11g client, then in that 2.4Ghz space of the 802.11n network, you will see degradation (similarly to how g degrades when b clients are present).

Last edited:

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this issue with the 2018 MBPro and the Velop. It saying thst there is a compatibility issue, but it’s odd.

As noted, do a site survey (from option clicking the wifi icon) and that will tell you what networks are using which channels. You can then find the channel with the most congestion.

Then when you’ve picked a relatively clear channel, option click again to view the current settings.
[doublepost=1543097724][/doublepost]

That’s not quite true. Mixed mode 802.11g networks perform closer to 802.11b speeds, but 802.11ac doesn’t work that way. And ac is a 5GHz network, not a 2.4Ghz network. An 802.11ac router using 2.4Ghz is using 802.11ac for 5GHz and 802.11n for the 2.4Ghz space. 802.11n can use both 5GHz and 2.4Ghz. So in an 802.11n 2.4Ghz network which has active 802.11g client, then in that 2.4Ghz space of the 802.11n network, you will see degradation (similarly to how g degrades when b clients are present).
The issue is G only & routers such as...ehem...the Velop that use the same name for the 2.4 & 5GHz bands sometimes have some legacy issues. G is the only one that you want to keep on 2.4 exclusively. G is also designed for the 2.4, but the problem is that some routers with the same name on the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands will put AC & N devices on the 2.4 when the 2.4 downgrades to the 54Mbps settings. Legacy G fallback is a fallback that actually disables the N features so G devices can work. That's not the same with AC an N...You can have an N on the AC device & the entire system will still maintain AC speeds...the N simply runs slower.

Fix: Rename your 2.4 GHz Band as something like wifi_2 & your 5GHz band as something like wifi_5. Then connect your faster devices on the 5GHz band

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
The issue is G only & routers such as...ehem...the Velop that use the same name for the 2.4 & 5GHz bands sometimes have some legacy issues. G is the only one that you want to keep on 2.4 exclusively. G is also designed for the 2.4, but the problem is that some routers with the same name on the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands will put AC & N devices on the 2.4 when the 2.4 downgrades to the 54Mbps settings. Legacy G fallback is a fallback that actually disables the N features so G devices can work. That's not the same with AC an N...You can have an N on the AC device & the entire system will still maintain AC speeds...the N simply runs slower.

Fix: Rename your 2.4 GHz Band as something like wifi_2 & your 5GHz band as something like wifi_5. Then connect your faster devices on the 5GHz band
The velop is a mess. I just had a look at there are loads of different versions available. I didn’t know that there was one that used 802.11g, I thought they all support n or higher, but wow, you probably need to have a good understanding of what you’re doing if trying to piece something together using velop. Or a good deal of luck. What a mess.

Regardless, and certainly, splitting the network is good advice. I do that too.

I suspect this won’t solve the OP’s issue, despite the advice being good. I guess we’ll see.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
The velop is a mess. I just had a look at there are loads of different versions available. I didn’t know that there was one that used 802.11g, I thought they all support n or higher, but wow, you probably need to have a good understanding of what you’re doing if trying to piece something together using velop. Or a good deal of luck. What a mess.

I suspect this won’t solve the OP’s issue, despite the advice being good. I guess we’ll see.
I ended up reporting the issue on that system...may take more time to fix. I actually have a lot of experience with WiFi being engaged in the community. Every router's 2.4 supports G, but the handling of single name SSIDs can be hit or miss. If you keep different SSID names, it may be more complex to set up, but you won't have to deal with the issue that the OP is seeing. Hopefully if he renames them, it will resolve his issue...get the laptop on the 5GHz instead of it falling onto the 2.4. I know a lot of wifi printers & smart thermostats are using G which will cause the issue.

Reactions: Howard2k

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I was, now using Netgear & Asus. I gave my sister the Velop because the reliability & distance wasn't as good. (starting to put together my order for the new 2018 MBP)

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
I was, now using Netgear & Asus. I gave my sister the Velop because the reliability & distance wasn't as good. (starting to put together my order for the new 2018 MBP)
Thanks, yeah heard mixed things about them.

MartinDLC13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
New Jersey

I checked and it says ac, here is a photo. The Velop seems like a mess.

Attachments

MartinDLC13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
New Jersey

Here are some more info from the Velop:
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.23.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.24.17 PM.png

[doublepost=1543102060][/doublepost]
you can access more controls for the Velop in the webpage interface if I remember right.
Here is some more info, is there anything I could change to improve the speed.
[doublepost=1543102485][/doublepost]Here is some more info from Velop system

Attachments

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Please split it to two networks and attach your MBPro to the 5GHz network. Then option-click the wifi and show us the connection details.

Actually please do that first too, so we have a before and after.

MartinDLC13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
New Jersey
Please split it to two networks and attach your MBPro to the 5GHz network. Then option-click the wifi and show us the connection details.

Actually please do that first too, so we have a before and after.
I forgot to attach the pic from before, I had already split it into two before, but I never placed 2.4 or 5 at the end.
The second picture shows that I added 2.4 to differentiate each connection

Attachments

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
First pic is not split, second pic is split. How’s the throughout and connection data on 5GHz?

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
It has not fixed my problem, I was hoping it might improve the speeds but no luck. I am seriously thinking in getting a new mesh system if I am not able to fix the low speeds.

Please post the details from the opt-click on the wifi icon.
I’m not a fan of mesh systems at all, but I would expect the MBPro to keep up with the iPhone for speed.