Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Nobody with any common sense uses Apple's headphones now, so Apple will either have to make this an open implementation standard (ha!), or this data isn't worth having to put up with crappy sound.

The worst case scenario would be another ****** "made for iPhone" licensing debacle driving up prices and down quality like the controller or charging cable situations.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Nobody with any common sense uses Apple's headphones now.

Not being fooled into spending $399 for a pair of in ear headphones and instead using the pair that came free with your iPhone sounds like common sense to me.

And they aren't actually THAT bad. I find them comfortable and think they sound reasonable.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Can't innovate anymore my ass!

Seriously though, if these could monitor your blood pressure and heart rate while listening to music, without even putting in any effort, this will be useful for people that don't get an iWatch.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
My inside source says that for complete biometric data retrieval, you'll actually stuff the entire phone in your ass, and the resulting data can be viewed from the iWatch via BlueTooth.

I heard it was just going to be a wireless probe. :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Nice analysis, and much closer I suspect to what Apple is likely to do than virtually all of the "iWatch" concepts. Think a family or wearable tech products. I believe this is where Apple is going, and this fits right in.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Nobody with any common sense uses Apple's headphones now, so Apple will either have to make this an open implementation standard (ha!), or this data isn't worth having to put up with crappy sound.

The worst case scenario would be another ****** "made for iPhone" licensing debacle driving up prices and down quality like the controller or charging cable situations.

Well speak for yourself , I love the apple EarPods :) especially ones that came with my 5s they are perfect for working out

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

I'm a producer and I take sound quality pretty seriously. The EarPods are pretty good for daily commute use. The bass reflex is fairly strong. And the mids are about as good as earpieces get. Nowhere near a good set of speakers, but great daily use phones.

Now the older ones from 2001-2012. They sucked big time. I couldn't listen to memos on those bits of rubbish.

iJustinCabral

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Nonsense, for several medical reasons.
Not least of which is you can't measure blood pressure in your ear.

Your right in some regards. You can't get blood pressure from IN your ear, but you can get blood pressure from behind the ear.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
Can't innovate anymore my ass!

My thoughts exactly. The fact that this patent was applied for in 2007 BEFORE the iPhone was even released, shows exactly how far Apple is looking ahead. 7 years later, biometrics is becoming all the rage.

Also, I wonder if sometimes the "anonymous" sources are Apple themselves, such as with the iWatch. This allows other companies to "get the jump" on Apple and beat them to market, but all it does it lets Apple sit back and watch as they clumsily try to innovate, thus letting Apple see what DOESN'T work. Basically, letting competitors be the focus group. Then 2 years later, Apple comes out with their devices that are refined and make non of the mistakes that others did.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Even if this product does come to existence. As with the in-ear versions, I doubt they will come with devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.