Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Apple is ridiculous in keeping the port at USB 2 speed. I will hold off this time until next year version. Anyway, I am happy with my Air2 at the moment

We don't know yet if the new ipads have USB 2 or 3 transfer speeds. So wait another 2 days before deciding not to buy one. The reason I'm hopeful is they mentioned "faster transfers with USB 3".
[doublepost=1497194992][/doublepost]
View attachment 703426 Is everyone purely upset at s

For movies I don't 'sync' through iTunes. I just download straight from my purchased videos in iTunes via wi-if. Is this what you are referencing?

I do have 250mbps service and I know not everyone has that convenience.

This is not the method we are talking about. Personally I use the best, most versatile video app. Nplayer. I download videos from the internet with my own means (not itunes) and then plug in to itunes and add the files to Nplayer. Hence super slow transfer speeds either over USB or wifi.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I just don't see why not?

Tell me why not. Doesn't make any sense. They say USB 3, which makes me think it might work :D (Sync or no-sync). Geesh.

I've got this crazy fast USB-C port, the USB-C/lightning cable; all the secret sauce.

Last edited:
Reactions: upandown

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
iTunes is also used for backing up. Currently, these are super slow as well.

But wait and see, it may not have been mentioned because iTunes syncing is not really something I'd expect to be talked about in a keynote.

Reactions: rui no onna

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
At some point in time, they will just have to do it. May not be next year... Anyway, I am not in a hurry to replace my iPad yet.

If we don't get USB 3 sync speed now, what makes you think we'll get it next year? Apparently this is something Apple just doesn't want to implement.

If USB 3 doesn't happen this time, you guys will either need to hop ship, get your wifi syncing in a better situation, or have to overlook it unfortunately. It's likely not an issue to most people (granted there is that 5% that still DO matter). Almost like a Sprint commercial at how they can reach 99% of Americans with fast and great service...when technically, the 1% are the ones that do matter there - outside of huge cities - and then their service sucks in those large cities.
[doublepost=1497203787][/doublepost]Thinking on the hopping ship that doesn't work since honestly, I haven't touched a tablet that I'd consider to jump to. I love an iPad...phone and computer, there are some options that I would try, computer, I know of 2-3 right now.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
If USB 3 doesn't happen this time, you guys will either need to hop ship, get your wifi syncing in a better situation, or have to overlook it unfortunately. It's likely not an issue to most people (granted there is that 5% that still DO matter). Almost like a Sprint commercial at how they can reach 99% of Americans with fast and great service...when technically, the 1% are the ones that do matter there - outside of huge cities - and then their service sucks in those large cities.
[doublepost=1497203787][/doublepost]Thinking on the hopping ship that doesn't work since honestly, I haven't touched a tablet that I'd consider to jump to. I love an iPad...phone and computer, there are some options that I would try, computer, I know of 2-3 right now.
What exactly are you trying to defend?

Slow USB 2 transfer speeds?
Or
Even slower pathetic wifi transfer speeds?

...and jump where? Android tablets are not remotely close to A10X SOC performance. They have their own problems like delayed updates, build quality issues, etc.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Side issue but I'm getting 100Mbps+ on my Sprint S7 Edge here in Seattle (60Mbps sitting in my house). And my expectation would be that new iPads would be at USB3 speeds (knowing reality may be different).

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Side issue but I'm getting 100Mbps+ on my Sprint S7 Edge here in Seattle (60Mbps sitting in my house). And my expectation would be that new iPads would be at USB3 speeds (knowing reality may be different).
I think you missed the part about big cities. Seattle would qualify.
[doublepost=1497220923][/doublepost]
What exactly are you trying to defend?

Slow USB 2 transfer speeds?
Or
Even slower pathetic wifi transfer speeds?

...and jump where? Android tablets are not remotely close to A10X SOC performance. They have their own problems like delayed updates, build quality issues, etc.
I’m not defending anything. In a nutshell, if USB 3 doesn’t happen, quit whining, as it will not happen. Figure out your home networking issues, as syncing over 100gb at a time from my Mac Mini Plex server (iPad is wireless)happens super quick. Not sure what you’re home wifi problems are.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
I’m not defending anything. In a nutshell, if USB 3 doesn’t happen, quit whining, as it will not happen. Figure out your home networking issues, as syncing over 100gb at a time from my Mac Mini Plex server (iPad is wireless)happens super quick. Not sure what you’re home wifi problems are.

If you don't want to hear our whining then don't read this thread. That's great you have some solution that works. I'm not surprised plex works great. We have different needs and use different programs than you. You're not contributing.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Dude!!! This is not about Plex. That is completely off topic.

We are discussing about transferring data like mp4, mp3 files from pc/mac to 512 GB iPad Pro 2017 model using a lightning cable. As someone said above, you are not contributing.
A proper USB 3 like transfer speed will blow away any wireless transfer speeds.

Reactions: Craiguyver

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Anyone who has got the delivery of the new iPads check the syncing speed with Apple Lightning to USB-C cable?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With my new 12.9 256GB connected to my 2016 MBPro TB via USBC to Lightning. It took 19 mins to sync 50 GB during a restore. Take that for what it is worth.
Never mind. Had a senior moment and confused MB/s with Mb/s. :p

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
With my new 12.9 256GB connected to my 2016 MBPro TB via USBC to Lightning. It took 19 mins to sync 50 GB during a restore. Take that for what it is worth.
That’s around 44.9 MBps which still falls under USB 2 speed category. :(

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Two things to point out:

1. The included cable is a USB2 cable, its missing the extra pins USB3 cables have.

2. Even with the port capable of USB3 speeds, it doesn't mean the internal flash can keep up with it. One thing I've not seen done enough with iPad reviews is measuring the internal flash speed. A better test of the connection itself would be a known fast thumb drive loading into the iPad RAM. Too bad that part is not easy. Would be nice if there was a flash benchmark tool to get an idea of what is realistic to expect when syncing over the USBC cable.

Reactions: nephron8

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Two things to point out:

1. The included cable is a USB2 cable, its missing the extra pins USB3 cables have.

2. Even with the port capable of USB3 speeds, it doesn't mean the internal flash can keep up with it. One thing I've not seen done enough with iPad reviews is measuring the internal flash speed. A better test of the connection itself would be a known fast thumb drive loading into the iPad RAM. Too bad that part is not easy. Would be nice if there was a flash benchmark tool to get an idea of what is realistic to expect when syncing over the USBC cable.
This is just the Pro 9.7 256GB. Given the way SSDs work, 512GB could be faster as long as it's not bottlenecked by bus speed. Of course, the 64GB is likely slower when it comes to sequential large block performance. Possibly 1/8x of 512GB or 1/4x of 256GB worst case. The various capacities are around the same for random small block performance, iirc. I think AnandTech did a more in-depth review of the 2015 Pro 12.9. The Pro 9.7 was just to highlight the differences/changes.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10286/the-97-ipad-pro-review/2

81725.png

81726.png

Last edited:

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
This is just the Pro 9.7 256GB. Given the way SSDs work, 512GB could be faster as long as it's not bottlenecked by bus speed. Of course, the 64GB is likely slower when it comes to sequential large block performance.

Well, it's definitely capable. I wonder where the bottleneck with the USBC cable is now...

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
So wait, we have a bunch of people up in arms about something that's UNCONFIRMED?

Try syncing with a USB-C cable FIRST and then complain later if it doesn't work.

Didn't see proof using USB-C

2015 12.9” iPad Pro syncs at USB 2 speed even if you use Apple USB-C to Lightning cable connected to PC’s USB-C port. Everyone was expecting USB 3 speeds but Apple has not shown a cable which will transfer at that rate.

We will have clear picture in a few days.

Try syncing with a USB-C cable with a 2017 iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.