Will an Apple Genius put a screen protector on for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZBoater, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

i'm notoriously clumsy putting these things on. Always get bubbles. If I buy a protector in the store, will they put it on for me? Will I need a genius appointment? Does Best Buy do it also?

2. ryanyearling macrumors newbie

When I was a genius, we were advised not to. That doesn't mean it's not possible, though.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Use the hinge method. That should help you getting less bubbles. That's what I did on mine when installing Zagg Glass on my 6+. No bubbles, no dusts, and perfectly aligned.

4. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's understandable. I'd rather you mess it up rather than I, so I can get a new one if its messed up.

5. taedouni macrumors 65816

Since Apple doesn't make screen protectors, I doubt it. It means that they weren't trained to do it and probably wouldn't want to get in trouble if something bad happens or if a customer complained.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

and thats why they don't do it

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Screen protectors have gone the way of belt holsters. I'm surprised people still use them.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Here is the trick for the "static cling" types. Put 2 pieces of scotch tape on either end and use those "tabs" to pull the protector off its backing. Then position the protector over the phone and let it drop. Remove the tape and you are done! No finger prints!

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

This is exactly why they won't do it.

If you mess it up, it's on you. You can't expect the employee to "have a go" and then return it if they can't do it. That's taking the **** a bit, and not really fair on the employee.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

I've seen geniuses do it before. Last time I had to replace my 5S the person helping me put the spigen back protector back on my new phone.

11. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think Best Buy does it. At least they did a couple of years ago. Anyone know if they still do?

12. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

They do install them if you ask.

----------

Floor employees do this also.

----------

Yes. They do.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's down to the individual person. You can't expect them to return the protector if it's not perfect though.

14. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

When was this? What store?

I've seen Apple Store employees here in Aventura, FL doing this since at least the 3GS.

15. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I always had my local Apple store employees put protectors on when I used to use them. They had no problem with it even if I didn't buy the protector there.

16. Shadowbech macrumors 601

They install Zagg Glass for you AFAIK, with a fee tho.

17. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

Best Buy employee installed the screen protector on my new iP6, in-store, Saturday. I've also had it done at my carrier store (AT&T), if bought from them.

18. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, as long as it's guaranteed to go on right I'd pay. I'll check my local Best Buy.

19. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Individual person...if they can't do it well, they will find you someone that can.

They're not too concerned with the cost of a couple protectors. PR comps keep people happy.

They are very meticulous at installing them and do a great job.

20. SoloStyle macrumors regular

I thought Apple had a special dust-free room that they used to install screen protectors. Is that not true? :eek:

21. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Now THATS service right there. I wouldn't expect that but if they did it I'd be delighted.

22. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

No dust free room here. Their store here isn't very dusty from what I can tell. They put the matte finish protectors that don't even fit the whole usable part of the screen(yes, I bought them at Apple for use until good tempered glass protectors are available for the 6 & 6+) on both of my phones on a 'setup' table and not one single speck of dust.

----------

Help me understand Zagg Glass a little better from what I have read on their site.

Is it rigid and such...?

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I, personally, prefer Spigen to Zagg.

24. Shadowbech macrumors 601

It depends on who installs it for you. I had a guy who did it perfectly and was worth the money, whereas I had one person who didn't install it perfectly and I ended up wasting my money.

That is why I install it myself using the hinge method in the bathroom, and works perfectly fine each time.

25. ryanyearling macrumors newbie

2011 up until a couple of months ago in DC and NC. It's a liability issue I suppose. I would never feel comfortable doing it because I didn't want to be the guy to mess it up.