Will Apple disappoint again?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HenryJobs, Jul 23, 2012.

1. HenryJobs macrumors member

Really want to buy an iMac with Ivy Bridge ad USB 3 but I won't be able to if they never come out. With the lack or rumors about iMacs just 3 days before the suspected launch, I'm starting to think we'll be waiting until fall. If the iMacs don't launch this month, should we expect retina displays web they do?

2. Broseidon macrumors regular

As much as I want them, I can't see new iMacs coming in July and I can't see Retina within the next 1 - 2 years.

Why do people want retina? It's close to pointless on such a big screen.

3. MEGrubb macrumors newbie

I don't think the Retina iMac will launch during 2012.

I know you're lord of the Bro-Sea but I still don't think you're informed enough to declare no retina iMacs for the next 2 years.

4. Broseidon macrumors regular

Informed enough? Probably not BUT, thankfully, I have logic... ;)

Point 1: The current MBPr has well documented problems pushing retina on a 15" display.

Point 2: A 27" iMac has roughly 3x the screen real-estate compared to the MBPr

Point 3: How long will it take for mobile graphics cards to double / triple in power?

In line with current year on year increases... well... it will be a long time!!!

5. gnrredphoenix macrumors member

Although I'm also dying for a new imac and have been waiting since april, unfortunately i don't think we'll be seeing them this week. We would have heard some type of rumors or even consistent low stock information, but we haven't heard a thing.

If they don't come out this week, I'll wait until fall, but then I'm giving up. I just can't afford to wait any longer than that...

6. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

And if they release a 27" retina iMac, they would likely release a retina Thunderbolt display as well. I wonder how many months/years we are from a graphics card that can drive an internal 27" retina along with two external displays at the same resolution? And what MacBook would be able to feed all those pixels to that retina Thunderbolt display?

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Mobile graphics cards doubled in power from 2011 to 2012.

8. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

A leaked photo of USB 3 ports isn't very exciting or worth risking your job over. That's probably why there are no rumors - it's a marginal update.

With Apple's new Up-To-Date program, even an August refresh is possible. In fact it would be a good way to promote the new program.

Retina + redesign more likely in October... I think a 24" retina would be nice.

9. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

i'm guessing retina imac will come later at 2013/2014, when apple launch iphone 4 in jun 2010, many expected the ipad to launch on mar 2011 to be retina display, we all knew what happened.

What i'm trying to say is, when we can predict apple roadmap and being wishful thinking, apple is taking their time to develop the product.

there are none like it on the PC market that match the retina mbp, even the tablet market with the new ipad, there is no competition on the display... well not for the foreseeable future... so for the retina mac, i'm guessing apple will take their time.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

20 plus inches of retina?
    They need to get their yields way up there

11. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

I hope not,but if we will wait till next Fall i'll start to think it is.

12. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

Well if they don't come out by the end of the month then I'm buying one regardless. Sick of all the.... it'll be out March, it's due in May (yearly cycle), it will be announced at the WWDC in June and then when it wasn't, it'll be out in July to coincide with ML

I'm not the playing the game any longer!

13. Mad Sativa macrumors member

no clue, WOW! try expanding your mind past screen size because that has nothing, I mean nothing to do with the retina revolution. Some of the icons in mountain lion can go as large as 1024x1024, now picture 1024x1024 on your screen your looking at and tell me graphic artist are creaming their pants right now with just the possibilities. The future is now my friends.

"Why do people want retina? It's close to pointless on such a big screen"

Remember this quote in 5, LOL

Wait till this kid sees a 55" retina tv. "Dad it's to big of a screen-the detail is to much for me"

Lastly the lack of noise regarding an IMAC on Wednesday is very disconcerting. Witch is exactly why we are all getting brand new IMAC'S on Wednesday;)

14. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I think a retina iMac is pointless and not gonna happen in a couple of years if it ever happens.

15. Mad Sativa macrumors member

Point 4: You know nothing about GPU's

16. Sensa macrumors newbie

This is our one hope...being just a spec bump nothing for the leakers to get too excited about. I wasn't even really that worried that 9 to5 speculated that the apple store "over night" might be a short one considering they actually have a lot less iMac's on display in the stores these days meaning not much extra work involved.

There was also a reported comment by Tim Cook regarding different product refresh cycles for desktops vs mobile platforms that was some cause for concern. But there is a difference between spec bumps to keep current product up to date and John Ivy type total redesigns of the product/packaging. I think Cook's right in that iMac users would tolerate the "form" staying the same a lot longer than the mobile crowd as long as the specs were up to date.

The iMac's don't need retina...at this point in time the tech can't support it imo.

And a July release is consistent with both past practise (OS release) and supportable by the production / supply chain since the iMac has some parts in common with the macbooks I can see them having wanted to ensure the higher priority product got the chips/video cards first and now that bottleneck is easing they could throw the desktop crowd a few bones.

But, if they do disappoint, as another poster said I'll give them to October and if no new iMac by then they'll lose another 20 year + loyal customer.

17. Yetihunter macrumors member

18. vladfein macrumors regular

Right! You show them!!!

19. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

No, it's less likely in October than any other time. Nothing else will be released to block even a fraction of the iPhone's spotlight.

It may not arrive this month... paraphrasing Marko Ramius, I give it one chance in three. There's a fair chance it won't be updated until 2013 and an unfortunately credible possibility that it won't be updated again at all. But it won't be released in October, whatever else happens. Every media outlet reporting October is quoting DigiTimes, whose information is rectally sourced, to put it gently.

----------

How will grossly overpaying for 15-month-old tech send Apple a message that they need to do better?

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

What makes 3 days from now the expected launch? Pretty sure that was all made up in people's heads ... but we do know they are overdue for a refresh.

21. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Please, tell me what this "credible possibility" is that says the iMac will never see an update again?

22. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

If you have to be brought up to date on the numbers WRT Apple's success in the mobile iToy market, the utter dominance of notebook computers over desktop computers in sales, and the iOS-ification of all Apple's software and services from iCloud to Mountain Lion, I don't know that you're in a position yet to say that you've exhausted your research, found nothing, and need some leads.

23. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Yes the trend is definitely mobile but that doesn't mean the iMac is going away any time soon.

24. Atisha macrumors member

What do people feel about Mac Mini, granted that we're probably going to get screwed on iMac? Would they REALLY not update either of them with ML?

If neither are updated then I'm done -- PC time. I'm not letting a ******** telephone company control my career. You shouldn't either. IMO, stop buying the old iMacs.

25. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

When you see something like "Bonjour" for displays, allowing a nearby notebook to automatically and wirelessly connect to an external monitor, you can start sounding the death knell for the iMac. Not before.